Westminster Dragoons camp at Goring-on-Thames, 1914

The place to post anything DW-related
lukehoney
Level3
Level3

Westminster Dragoons camp at Goring-on-Thames, 1914

Post by lukehoney »

Hi

I’m researching the history of the Westminster Dragoons (we think my great uncle signed up for it), and I suddenly remembered that in DW’s autobiography, “Officer and Temporary Gentâ€￾ he spends a night with the Westminster Dragoons, camped in field in Goring-on-Thames, Oxfordshire. This was on the eve of the outbreak of the First World War. Does anybody know where that camp was? If you drive into Goring, then cross over the river to Streatley, there is a fenced off field immediately on the right hand side, very close to a church and the Swan (the riverside hotel and pub), which DW mentions he visited with his friends. Amazingly, the field hasn’t, as yet, been developed on, even though it’s relatively in the centre of Goring & Streatley.

Does anybody know where the camp was? I’ve wondered if it was that very same field (still there, after many years), although of course, thec camp could easily have been somewhere else, outside the town.

Many thanks, Luke
Darren
Level5
Level5

Post by Darren »

I'm impressed that you were able to recall that snippet. It would appear, Luke, that no one on this community forum is able to assist with your research.

However, as you have raised this issue we would be interested in the results if you are successful in your quest. Please let us know if you find the site of the camp and if you get any photos of how it is now (or then) we would appreciate access to them as it all helps to complete the picture we have of DW's life. Similarly with any images for the pub that DW mentions he visited with friends.

Good luck, and please keep us informed.
Regards,

Darren.
Charles
Level5
Level5

Post by Charles »

Dear Luke,

I don't know if it will help you with your researches, but have you seen the illustrated postcard of Goring sent to DW at that time, and which is the first exhibit in this site's 'Virtual Museum' Room on World War One ?

You can find it at http://www.denniswheatley.info/museum/r ... =2&exhib=1

I don't know if it will answer your precise query, but I am sure it will be of interest to you. It is a rather wonderful item from a rather long time ago.

I join Darren in wishing you good luck with your researches !

Best wishes,
Charles

Return to “General Topics”