The place to post anything DW-related
Darren
Level5
Level5

DW to feature in Essex Book Festival

Post by Darren »

Hi Folks,

I found this by accident.

Dennis Wheatley – the man, his life and his works is a lecture being delivered at this year's Essex Book Festival, as part of the Essex Book Festival’s Golden Age of Crime Weekend in Southend-on-Sea, 11 & 12 March.

The actual lecture is at 11am, on Saturday 11th March, at the Park Inn Palace Hotel, Church Road, Southend-on-Sea, SS1 2AL.

See http://essexbookfestival.org.uk/event/dennis-wheatley/ for details. The presenter looks a handsome fellow.

I wonder if anyone from this community can manage to get there and report back to us.......
Regards,

Darren.
Charles
Level5
Level5

Post by Charles »

Well spotted, Darren !

I'd better not say anything else :D

Hope it lives up to its billing :D
Charles
shanedwyer
Level5
Level5

Post by shanedwyer »

Well, whoever that louche devil is, I've just bought a ticket...
KLP85
Level2
Level2

Post by KLP85 »

on my birthday as well lol.
Darren
Level5
Level5

Post by Darren »

Did you get there, Shane? Was the lecture any good?

=D> :smt009
Regards,

Darren.
shanedwyer
Level5
Level5

Post by shanedwyer »

Yes, I got there and the talk was first rate.

The venue was an airy, sunlit conference room overlooking the estuary and the audience took up a very respectable 50 or so seats out of the available 70.

Charles' discourse focused on colourful vignettes from DW's life -his service on the Ypres Salient, his friendship with Gordon-Tombe etc.- which nicely gave a sense of the drama and dash of the man's life. The speaker's pitch was both light and authoritative and the crowd were clearly charmed by him.

Charles also put some rather impressive artefacts on display, such as a bottle of DW's homemade nectarine gin, an original Wheatley & Son catalogue and Wheatley's signed copy of Aleister Crowley's Magick in Theory and Practice.

The subsequent Q and A session was lively and congenial and the questions sharp and interesting- one chap asking if, given Wheatley's belief in reincarnation, Charles had any idea who the great man might have come back as.

A very pleasant day out and one rounded off with beers in a pub near the station.
Charles
Level5
Level5

Post by Charles »

Can't comment on the talk but the drink in the pub afterwards was good.
Charles
Darren
Level5
Level5

Post by Darren »

Hi Folks - there is a review of the Dennis Wheatley event held at the Essex Book Festival on the Bloomsbury Reader website, by Camilla Shestopal. Camilla Shestopal works as an agent involved in selling rights to bring great classic authors back into the public consciousness - hence her interest in DW. Eric Ambler is another one of her projects.

https://bloomsburyreader.wordpress.com/ ... -festival/
Regards,

Darren.

Return to “General Topics”