Dennis Wheatley Podcasts

The place to post anything DW-related
Darren
Level5
Level5

Post by Darren »

As well as the audio podcast and youtube broadcast the they also have a review of the book (not the film) on an associated website.

https://aliensoup.com/threads/review-th ... ast.58738/
Regards,

Darren.
Darren
Level5
Level5

Post by Darren »

Hi Folks,

It is with some apprehension that I recommend to you the below podcast.

It is part of a series called Bad Books for Bad People and in episode 4 they cover the book, To the Devil, A Daughter.

It is another US podcast series, and the presenters - particularly Tenebrous Kate - are intelligent readers. I enjoyed the podcast and shared in their laughter at some of their analysis of the novel, particularly the sink scene, interior decorating, and the discussion on taxes. They even discuss DW's sexualisation of Molly Fountain (I'm sure Shane has brought that up before in these pages), and that he was 56 years old when he wrote the book may have contributed to this.

I am apprehensive about my recommendation because they don't speak positively about DW. Tenebrous Kate is a modern feminist, but not angry, she sees DW's conservatism as typical of a man of his times and they discuss his views with this acknowledgement, and also extract much humour. They are not admirers of his plot and their analysis of Copley-Syle's satanic plan and the machismo of hero John Fountain did bring a smile to my face.

Tenebrous Kate read a few DW books prior to the podcast - TDRO, TTDAD, The Satanist and Gateway to Hell (and recommends TDRO as the best one) - so has done her homework. She has even visited this website and speaks very positively about it, and gives a special mention to the museum.

The podcast goes onto discuss the film and then there is a reading from the book (Copley-Syle's explanation to CB of his satanic plan).

The last section of the podcast leaves our subject matter but the first hour and a bit is, I believe, worth listening to and I recommend it. But, be warned, they don't view DW the way we do.

http://www.badbooksbadpeople.com/ and scroll down to episode 4. There is also a Sax Rohmer podcast (episode 9).

Enjoy (I hope)...
Regards,

Darren.
Darren
Level5
Level5

Re: Dennis Wheatley Podcasts

Post by Darren »

Hi Folks,

There is a really enjoyable podcast with Mark Gatiss talking about Sherlock Holmes, Christopher Lee and a lengthy discussion on Dennis Wheatley.

Gatiss is asked "What are the books that saved your life?"

He answers "Great Expectations, Treasure Island, Sherlock Holmes" and then mentions that his Dad's bookshelves were full of Dennis Wheatley books.
"My Dad had all the Dennis Wheatley’s, the covers terrified me." Gatiss talks about how "insanely popular" DW was, talks about his contribution in WW2 and spends quite some time discussing DW.

There is also a lengthy discussion on Holmes, Christopher Lee, Peter Cushing and his other passions.

I am a fan of Mark Gatiss anyway - this podcast is fun.

https://cosmicshambles.com/bookshambles/markgatiss
Regards,

Darren.

Return to “General Topics”