Intoductions

Here's where you can tell us about yourself
caroline$-0
Level3
Level3

Intoductions

Post by caroline$-0 »

First of all it is nice to be here.So hello everybody.I first seen DW books when my future brother in law would send boxes of novels to my older sister.They were mostly pan horror books,A.Christies and horror comics and DW.I most have been nine or ten.I read the comics and loved the short stories of pan,although I did.nt really understand DW and AG until I was fourteen I have been a fan of DW since.

:roll:

ries in pan,but did not really get into DW until iwas fifteen and have been a reader ever since.
Charles
Level5
Level5

Post by Charles »

Dear Caroline

Welcome to the Library !

You remind me of when I read my first Dennis Wheatley as a teenager - and I'm sure our other friends feel the same.

What a thrill it was !

The nice thing is that the ones we have read and remember can still thrill, while the one's we've read and forgotten, and the ones we haven't read at all yet are joys in waiting.

Again a very warm welcome ...
Charles
caroline$-0
Level3
Level3

caroline$-0 intoduction.

Post by caroline$-0 »

Oops ,I seem to have made a hash of my introduction.Very sorry but I am very new to the internet and this keyboard.I tried to go down aline and ended up halfway down the page.How very Irish of me.BY the by I don,t find DW non pc.After all he is of his time.
Jim
Level5
Level5

Re: caroline$-0 intoduction.

Post by Jim »

caroline$-0 wrote: BY the by I don,t find DW non pc. After all he is of his time.
Some people, however, fail to see that. I can understand that the Dr Dolittle and Mary Poppins books have been edited slightly in recent editions because they are meant for children, who have no sense of history, but part of the interest in reading older novels--for me and for many--is to see how earlier generations viewed things.

Most people know Ellis Peters for the charming mysteries featuring Brother Cadfael, but under her own name of Edith Pargeter, she wrote a triolgy of war stories about the common people of England. (Like DW's Sallust series, they were virtually contemporary with the action.) In one of them, the Japanese are portrayed, almost literally, as child-eating monsters! She would never have written this later, but she did at the time.

Return to “Introductions”