Dennis Wheatley in Finnish

The place to post anything DW-related
Michael Karnstein
Level1
Level1

Dennis Wheatley in Finnish

Post by Michael Karnstein »

Finnish Wheatley editions that I´m aware of:

KARTOITTAMATTOMILLA MERILLÄ ("Uncharted Seas", direct translation)

TOBOLSKIN VANKI ("The Forbidden Territory", direct translation would be prisoner of Tobolsk)

PUNAINEN ELOKUU ("Red August", direct translation)

STAMBULIN VAKOOJA ("Eunuch of Stamboul")

ERIKOISTEHTÄVÄ ("KA of Gifford Hillary", direct translation: special mission)

SALAKULJETTAJAT ("Contraband", direct translation: smugglers)

TIMANTTILAAKSO ("The Fabulous Valley", direct translation: diamond valley)

I have these all except Punainen Elokuu, which might be the rarest of all. Stambulin Vakooja and Salakuljettajat are hard cover versions with no illustrations. There´s probably no multi-pressings of any of these in Finnish. These are probably all Wheatley´s full-length novels that have been released in Finnish, though there has been at least one story translated in some Finnish thriller collection. That was a short story called "Mustaa Magiaa" in Finnish, which translates to "Black Magic" in English. Does anyobdy know what short story this actually is? I haven´t managed to get my hands on the compilation.
Dante knew nothing about hell.
Charles
Level5
Level5

Post by Charles »

Dear Michael

That's really excellent !

If you are able to send me scans of the covers, plus details of the publishers and publication dates, it will give me great pleasure to add them to the 'Wheatley Around the World' section - where no Finnish entries are currently logged.

Best regards !
Charles
Darren
Level5
Level5

Post by Darren »

I have resurrected this post as it links with 2 current activities on this site - Eric's recent post "an interesting find" and Charles' What's New announcement.

Eric, this post was set up by Michael Karnstein. I assuming it is the same Michael Karnstein (real name Mikko Kääriäinen, from Helsinki, Finland), that sings and plays bass for Cardinals Folly.

Coincidentally - his post is about Finish editions of DW books, which fits in with Charles' latest What's New announcement: Wheatley around the World, that mentions other Scandinavian editions.

I am assuming that as there isn't a Finland option in the "Wheatley around the World" contents that Charles never received the scanned images of the Finnish covers.
Regards,

Darren.
Charles
Level5
Level5

Post by Charles »

Hi Darren,

Thanks for that reminder !

No - having been offered the scans and said 'yes, please', I never received them.

I've sent Michael (and Michael is indeed from his email address Mikko Kääriäinen) an email saying I trust all's well with him, and a gentle reminder !

Best wishes to all !
Charles
Charles
Level5
Level5

Post by Charles »

Postscript ... my latest email to Mikko bounced, so his email address must have changed.

A pity ... maybe we'll have to wait a while longer for those Finnish editions ...

All best to all !
Charles
Steve Whatley
Level5
Level5

Post by Steve Whatley »

I have just returned from holiday, and amongst the post waiting for me were two parcels from Finland.

Soon, therefore, I will be sending Charles images of two rather nice pictorial covers of Finnish editions of The Fabulous Valley and Uncharted Seas, which I hope he will be able to add to the website in due course.

The search continues...[font=Courier New] [/font]
Charles
Level5
Level5

Post by Charles »

I shall look forward to them !!!!

Hope you had a good holiday !
Charles

Return to “General Topics”