A DW Convention ?

The place to post anything DW-related
duncanpaul17
Level4
Level4

Post by duncanpaul17 »

I agree with Nick, this could be a real opportunity to reach the right people to generate real genuine interest in DW's work.

I've posted elsewhere that I think the Devil Rides Out, Strange Conflict and Gateway to Hell would make a good TV trilogy.

Wouldn't mind having a go at adaptation myself if I was clever enough. Are there any other members who feel the same or have other ideas for adaptation?

Would it also be an insult to the great man if some of his characters were either revived or continued. eg I've just re-read Dangerous Inheritance which although was a Duke De Richelieu story brought Truss and Fleur more to the front. Is it possible that he may have been tthinking of writing a more 'modern' series with these as his main characters?

I think I read similar thoughts to this in the 'Library' but I can't remember where.

However if there are more thoughts on these lines should they be raised a 'new' topic. There could be some very interesting ideas

On another mercenary note, if there was media interest in the Convention and it was held at the Hotel where DRO was filmed, would they like the publicity ? and if so would they offer the rooms at a reduced rate?.
Nick
Level5
Level5

Post by Nick »

Great! Now we're talking! That is a good idea. As soon as we can agree a date and numbers involved then I suggest a phone call to the venue. I don't mind doing it unless it is not my place to do so.
The continuence of DW charactors is something that has led to many a daydream. Truss and Fleur meet up at the Pride of Peacocks to discuss old times, when who should walk into the bar..........?
Oh well back to work.
duncanpaul17
Level4
Level4

Post by duncanpaul17 »

I have copies of the Hammer Collection DVD's of The Devil Rides Out and To the Devil A Daughter I could bring to the convention with me if they would be of interest.
Nick
Level5
Level5

Post by Nick »

Good Stuff! I think in would be nice to track down the Secret of Stamboul as well.
Right lets get going over to you Charles, what's the next move?
Charles
Level5
Level5

Post by Charles »

I have a copy of The Secret of Stamboul.

Re the next move, I can email the people who expressed interest with a proposal or proposals, but I think it is best if these are fairly concrete - otherwise we will be playing email tag for ever.

Shall we agree a provisional date ? Just to start things off, how about Saturday 22nd March 2008 ???

And a provisional venue ? Do I sense the preference emerging from The Library is The Edgewarebury Hotel , with a choice of 'day' or 'day plus night' if possible ?

If so, I would be delighted to take up Nick's suggestion that he approaches the hotel.

If we got quotes for say a dozen people, I could then email the data out to those who expressed interest and ask for a definite yes or no. We would then know if we could book (or even better, we could get people to book direct, to save us handling the money) or if we were barking up the wrong tree.

Always difficult trying to arrange things with people spread over wide areas.

If anyone has better suggestions, please let us know !

Again, the more feedback we have the better ...

All the best
Charles
Steve Whatley
Level5
Level5

Post by Steve Whatley »

Charles, are you aware that you've suggested the Easter weekend? I wouldn't want holidays to have an adverse affect on the attendance.
Nick
Level5
Level5

DW Convention-Hotel Contacted Good News

Post by Nick »

I have contacted the Chorus Hotel at Elstree and confirmed that they can cater for our convention. They have meeting rooms but are quite prepared to let us use the 'Library' as used in the DRO film. They can supply a large screen TV for DVDs (I mean a big one with back projection) The have also confirmed that they can supply an evening meal and any dish that we wish can be served to our liking, (How about something that DW would have relished?) They are prepared to make a block booking for us with two prices for day and meals or day meals and B&B. The contact is Leandra on 0208 3274707 direct line.

Features are as below
Hotel Tel No: +44 (0)844 736 8602

47 bedrooms

Family bedrooms are available at the hotel

The Cavendish Restaurant

The Terrace Bar

Lounge with BT Openzone

Number of meeting rooms: 6

Meeting room capacity: 80

Parking Spaces: 100

Nearest Rail Link: Borehamwood & Elstree 1m

Nearest Airport: London Heathrow

I think the Easter weekend is probably not a wise choice (I will be working with the BBC for a start) however another weekend would be fine.
Is the next move to set a date that suits all, and find out how many can make it?
Charles
Level5
Level5

Post by Charles »

Nick

Well done on your research !

I had not clocked that 22nd is Easter weekend - I agree that would not be a wise choice.

How about March 8th to stay well clear ?

I will email everyone who expressed initial interest, but before I do that, can I check if they mentioned anything about price ? While it would no doubt be difficult for them to firm this up until they knew definite numbers, if I were able to tell those interested the approximate price of your two options (an excellent idea that too !) it would probably be helpful.

I could then ask for replies within a week (too short a period ?), we could then quickly assess the results, and if all goes according to plan, proceed with the booking.

Quite exciting !

All the best to all
Charles
K R Cope

Post by K R Cope »

Charles,

Just catching up on the recent postings re. a possible Convention.

The Elstree location would be good for us.

Have you an idea of the possible starting time on the Saturday? I ask because (due to Vivien's work schedules up to 31st March), we would be unlikely to be able to travel down (from Derbyshire) until the Saturday morning. Her work schedules (for the NHS) change from 1st April, so we could be much more flexible in taking a day or two holiday around a weekend date after the end of March.

Ken

(P.S. I'm getting that private mailing has been disable on the board, hence this general reply.
If it's easier to discuss dates on the phone, email me, and we can make contact that way?)
Charles
Level5
Level5

Post by Charles »

Dear Ken,

I've had to disable the private messaging facility because it could unfortunately be used to send improper messages by people who have no interest in DW and have no regard to our wellbeing.

Noted re March. I may be away during the first two weeks of April but would probably be o.k. after that.

Let's see what the others say on dates - whether late April or even May might suit.

As I keep saying to others interested in a Convention - many of whom frequent The Library - please let us have your feedback !

All the best to all
Charles
Steve Whatley
Level5
Level5

Post by Steve Whatley »

The middle two weekends of May (avoiding the Bank Holidays at either end of the month) would be best for me and my partner.

So my vote goes to Saturday 10 or Saturday 17 May.
Nick
Level5
Level5

Conference Prices

Post by Nick »

I've been back in touch with Leandra at Elstree and the prices are very reasonable.
£60 for delegates without B&B
£145 for delegates with B&B
Not bad at all. This price was based on 20 delegates in all (more and it may go down).
They will provide Tea Coffee/buffet Lunch Evening Meal to our liking.
I can Supply a small P.A. system if needed and I can sort out other details including radio and TV (hopefully) as and when. Would it be best to open up a Convention Bank acct, and sort out a treasurer etc, or do you Charles have that already sorted. Please tell me if I am exceeding my brief here, I don't mean to start taking over if there are better ideas and things already in place.
Nick
Charles
Level5
Level5

Post by Charles »

If we are going to have a decent Convention it will certainly need more than one person to arrange it, and looking after the website rather than conference organisation is my forte.

If I may say so Nick, I think you have done a really great job with the hotel, and I for one would be very grateful if you are willing to take on some of the practical arrangements for the Conference.

If everyone else is happy with this, may I suggest Nick and I chat off piste and divide up the labour between us – and any other volunteers who may come forward ?

In terms of date, personally I am fine with either of Steve's dates of 10th or 17th May ... how is everyone else's diary ?

If we settle on a date, I can email everyone with that and the rough price guide Nick has got us, and get them to confirm their intentions. All being well, Nick and I and any other volunteers could then get moving with the practical arrangements, posting progress on the Forum.

Does that sound an acceptable gameplan to everyone ?

Your thoughts please – all the best to everyone as always
Charles
Nick
Level5
Level5

Post by Nick »

Thanks Charles. Will you send me your phone number through my email. Sales@gypsy-wagons.com and we'll talk on.
Nick
K R Cope

Post by K R Cope »

Either 10th or 17th May would be equally suitable for us. :D

Return to “General Topics”