The Devil Rides Out and Rides Back Again

The place to post anything DW-related
Nick
Level5
Level5

The Devil Rides Out and Rides Back Again

Post by Nick »

There is a lot of enthusiasm for the re-make of The Devil Rides Out Film, not the least of which from Chris. Lee. I work for the BBC and used a bit of influence to get an answer out of Hammer Films as to their intentions. I received a reply that they were bogged down in Red Tape. Chrisopher Lee was responsible for getting the first picture on screen, and as I understand was a close freind of DW. He then announced that he had approached a director for the re-make (who I don't know)and was doing his best to raise interest/finance.
Has anybody else any news?
I am in two minds about the re-make if it ever happens. The Hammer version (scripted by Richard Matheson) had a lot of style, and was reminicent of the 1950's thriller style of movie, will a modern blood boltered and computer enhanced version of the story be an asset to DW fans or a let down?
Jim
Level5
Level5

Post by Jim »

On the DVD version of the original film, Lee is one of the performers on the commentary track, and discusses what he likes and dislikes about the movie. He said at that time, that if the film were to be remade, he would be the right age to play the Duke, as he was too young originally. Now, I'm afraid he's too old for the role. (Mr Lee is currently 82...)

If the Duke has just turned 18 at the beginning of PRISONER IN THE MASK, he must have been born in 1875. At the time of THE DEVIL RIDES OUT, he'd be an astonishingly active 60. (I imagine DW pictured him in his early 50s, at most; you can't get too crazy about these dates.) When he dies, at the end of DANGEROUS INHERITANCE, he'd have to be 85!
Alan
Level5
Level5

Duke's age

Post by Alan »

Jim wrote:If the Duke has just turned 18 at the beginning of PRISONER IN THE MASK, he must have been born in 1875. At the time of THE DEVIL RIDES OUT, he'd be an astonishingly active 60. (I imagine DW pictured him in his early 50s, at most; you can't get too crazy about these dates.) When he dies, at the end of DANGEROUS INHERITANCE, he'd have to be 85!
I don't see any problem in this - after all, DW does mention that the Duke is of "advancing years" when they enter Simon's house and are confronted by the terrifying vision in "Devil Rides Out"... and to live to 85 is not exactly unheard of (though his actions in "Inheritance" are fairly vigorous for an octagenerian).
Nick
Level5
Level5

The Devil Rides out and Rides Back again

Post by Nick »

I always felt that certain scenes in Gateway to hell were reminiscent of the Hammer film, especially the ending, with its mass destruction.
I always felt it was a great pity that so few of DWs books were filmed. I am unable to find a copy of The Forbidden Territory is seems not to been deemed important enough for DVD release.
Jim
Level5
Level5

Post by Jim »

I am unable to find a copy of The Forbidden Territory-- it seems not to been deemed important enough for DVD release.
Has this ever been available to the general consumer? Bob might know if it even exists any longer...
Bob Rothwell
Webmaster
Webmaster

Post by Bob Rothwell »

To my knowledge The Forbidden Territory never made it beyond the original. And as to its present whereabouts - ??

If anyone has access to that sort of information, a reminder. It was a Progress-Wainwright production and distributed in the UK by General Film Distributors and the USA by J H Hoffberg The UK premier was in November 1934 while the USA didn't see it until 1938.
Jim
Level5
Level5

Post by Jim »

I haven't watched it yet (and have never seen it before), but I just got the DVD of TO THE DEVIL--A DAUGHTER. Also, I recently won THE LOST CONTINENT on eBay, so I will have all three of the Hammer films of Wheatley books. Are there any other film versions I could be looking out for, or is that it?
Garry Holmes
Level5
Level5

The Devil Rides Out And Rides Back Again

Post by Garry Holmes »

I've been hearing about the proposed new version of 'Devil' for a very long time now. and we're still no closer to seeing anything on screen. I do wonder whether a better idea would be a TV series of De Richleau stories rather than a big screen version. TV adaptions would give the stories more room to breathe, as well as allowing for versions of the less well known (to the general public) stories like '3 Inquisitive People'. This is all very unlikely, I know, but what does everyone else think?
Bob Rothwell
Webmaster
Webmaster

Post by Bob Rothwell »

I think the idea of a TV series is an excellent idea. In fact it very nearly happened in 1964. Series were planned for Roger Brook and de Richleau and production had started on a 26-part series of Sallust's WW2 exploits, but financial constraints sadly put paid to them all. Mind you, looking at how at lot of the 60s productions have dated, perhaps now would be a better time!

My personal wish is for an historic series of Roger Brook. I reckon the production would be seen as a combination of 'Sharp' and 'The Scarlet Pimpernel' and would go down a treat!

Any ideas for who should now take the role leads in the 3 series?
Nick
Level5
Level5

Post by Nick »

The problem is that there are no in-house productions made at the BBC or Commercial stations outside of soaps. Somebody needs to approach an independant with the idea of a DW series and convince them of its merit. Who now owns Brook-Richleau Ltd? I know Chris Lee owns the copyright for some of the books. I would think the first move would be to interest an established screen/TV writer in the idea. I'm sure the venerable Mr.Lee would have something to say on this subject as a friend of DW. Maybe we should track down an E.Mail or contact for him.
Garry Holmes
Level5
Level5

Post by Garry Holmes »

Good Idea! Now where do we start...?
Nick
Level5
Level5

Post by Nick »

I think the best place to start is by forming some sort of recognisable group or society, with a name and patron (Chris Lee??) Then blitz all the literary agents to see if they have anybody on their books who would be interested in adapting a DW series for TV. Expect a considerable number of rejections and knockbacks (The business like any other has its fair share of idiots!) Keep knocking on the door, try and find out who owns Brook Richleau Ltd. It cannot have simply disappeared. Companies house should tell us something. A Limited company has to follow certain rules and regulations, and the name may well have been bought by another publisher. Find out who owns the copyright to the novels today. (Is it DWs family?) and enlist their support. The big hurdle is to convince a production company that
1. It isnt going to bankrupt them
2. People are going to watch it.
3. It could run for more than one series.
Put this into context with other best selling authors who have had their work adapted, and it is not such a crazy idea at all. Who fancies the job then Bob?
Bob Rothwell
Webmaster
Webmaster

Post by Bob Rothwell »

Nick, the only bit I'll rise to at the moment :) is to tell you that all the copyrights for Brook Richleau Ltd and Dennis Wheatley Ltd are now owned by Wheatley Productions Ltd (aka DW's grandson - Dominic Wheatley). Film rights for the films already produced seem to be owned by Hammer although there seems to be a lot of confusion re the rights for re-making a film.
Bob Rothwell
Webmaster
Webmaster

The Devil Rides Out remake

Post by Bob Rothwell »

The rumours are getting stronger re a re-make of tDRO, but the project may yet falter due to complicated legal rights.

Meanwhile, I have been asked to gather opinion from the DW community as to which de Richleau title they think would make a good film.

The novel may make a stand-alone film or, alternatively, marketed as a sequel to tDRO. However, my suggestion is that, for commercial reasons, the suggested novel ought to have an occult theme.

So, here's our chance to influence a film company - serious suggested titles please!!
Timothy

Post by Timothy »

Hard to choose, but I've always been partial to Strange Conflict... though I imagine all the astral plane battles would wreak havoc on the special effects budget!

It'd be nice, too, to follow tDRO with DW's second occult novel...

Return to “General Topics”