"Dessert Island Wheatley"

The place to post anything DW-related
nick jones
Level1
Level1

"Dessert Island Wheatley"

Post by nick jones »

I know this is not a new idea,but would any else like to compile a list of DW books they would take to a Desert Island,if they were marooned there ?The radio show has eight records (I think )and a luxury item.Below is my list of five books (for no paticular reason) and a luxury item.
1, "To the Devil a Daughter". The first DW book Iread,and still one of my favourites.
2, "The Quest of Juliad Day".Another superb story,When Julian is trapped under ground,its brilliant.
3, "They found Atlantis".The descriptive writing about the Island of Madeira makes me wish I were there.
4, "The Devil Rides Out". An old favourite,one of the best duke novels I think.
5, The Strangre Story of Linda Lee".Ive seen this story gets a "hammering" on the web site, as one of DWs worst stories.If people went back,and re-read it, maybe it would do better.
For my luxury item,I think I would pick a radio.
It will be interisting to see what novels other people choose.
regards Nick J
;-)
Hoyo de Monterrey
Level3
Level3

Post by Hoyo de Monterrey »

It may not be a new idea, but it's a good one. My five DW books would be:

1. The Devil Rides Out. Classic, brilliant Wheatley.
2. The Golden Spaniard. (Quiet, Toohey!)
3. Uncharted Seas. Great fun, and given the putative circumstances, quite appropriate.
4. The Second Seal. History as entertainment - DW's forte.
5. The Forbidden Territory - The Modern Musketeers' debut.

Luxury item - an unlimited supply of Roger Brook novels to keep the fire going (sorry, Bob, I just couldn't resist it...).
"Here's to crime"
Bob Rothwell
Webmaster
Webmaster

Post by Bob Rothwell »

Hoyo de Monterrey wrote:... ... ... Luxury item - an unlimited supply of Roger Brook novels to keep the fire going (sorry, Bob, I just couldn't resist it...).
Careful! I do have the right to bar you :twisted:
Hoyo de Monterrey
Level3
Level3

Post by Hoyo de Monterrey »

Bob Rothwell wrote:Careful! I do have the right to bar you :twisted:
:smt103 Oops!
"Here's to crime"
Garry Holmes
Level5
Level5

Post by Garry Holmes »

Slightly boring choice, but...all of the de Richleau's from 3 Inquisitive People to Dangerous Inheritance.
gloomysundae
Level4
Level4

Post by gloomysundae »

You call that boring?

1. The Devil Rides Out
2. Strange Conflict
3. The Satanist
4. To The Devil - A Daughter

I'm not sure about number #5. If it really is a desert island - no company, no pubs, no cemetery, no second hand bookshops - it would have to be one of the comedies Gateway To Hell or Ka Of Gifford Hillary ;-) . Then again, I might cheat and go for the DW Library Of The Occult edition of Dracula as I'm still trying to get over his introduction.
maisonvivante
Level2
Level2

Post by maisonvivante »

gloomysundae wrote:You call that boring?

Then again, I might cheat and go for the DW Library Of The Occult edition of Dracula as I'm still trying to get over his introduction.
You've got me curious--what does his introduction say? I don't have that particular volume in the DWLotO yet.
Bob Rothwell
Webmaster
Webmaster

Post by Bob Rothwell »

On behalf of gloomysundae: Dracula intro.

I assume gloomysundae, you are referring to the 5th para? ;)
Last edited by Bob Rothwell on Sat 11 Nov, 2006 01:19:23, edited 1 time in total.
gloomysundae
Level4
Level4

Post by gloomysundae »

That's the one, Bob! :rofl

Have you got all the intro's online? I find them fascinating (in some cases, more-so than the books themselves; I can't see me ever finishing Goethe's Faust, for example, work of genius though it doubtless is)
Jim
Level5
Level5

Post by Jim »

Even funnier is Wheatley's comment about Van Helsing:
<< One could wish the good doctor was less verbose, as one could say all he has to say in half the number of words >>.
Bob Rothwell
Webmaster
Webmaster

Post by Bob Rothwell »

gloomysundae wrote:Have you got all the intro's online?
Not yet, but am in the middle of doing so. Will let you know when I've finished.
Jim wrote:Even funnier is Wheatley's comment about Van Helsing:
brilliant!
Reminds me of an observation about human nature – "we tend to dislike in others what we secretly dislike in ourselves"
gloomysundae
Level4
Level4

Post by gloomysundae »

Bob Rothwell wrote:
Not yet, but am in the middle of doing so. Will let you know when I've finished.
Thanks Bob. I don't have all the Library Of The Occult books, but I've enjoyed the introductions to those I've read, even if I don't necessarily agree with his comments (for example, his friend-of-a-friend story about Crowley allegedly raising Pan in his preface to Moonchild is - I'm told by those who know about such things - very dubious). He's a wonderful gossip too! I adore his comments on poor old Montague Summers in Gunmen, Gallants and Ghosts!
Jim wrote:Even funnier is Wheatley's comment about Van Helsing:
Yeah, that was my runner-up! :rofl

A very good friend of mine - who obviously knows my warped mind better than I thought - kindly gave me a copy of the book recently insisting "you MUST read the intro!" Like, forget Stoker's novel, just read two pages of the Duke on his best form!
Bob Rothwell
Webmaster
Webmaster

Post by Bob Rothwell »

gloomysundae wrote:... ... Thanks Bob. I don't have all the Library Of The Occult books, but I've enjoyed the introductions to those I've read, ... ...
Aside from the entertainment (and there's a lot of that), they are essential reading for those want to know more about DW the man!!
maisonvivante
Level2
Level2

Post by maisonvivante »

Bob Rothwell wrote:
Not yet, but am in the middle of doing so. Will let you know when I've finished."
Excellent! That is much appreciated. I've slowly been piecing my DW Library of the Occult together, but it isn't easy, especially living in the U.S.

I'm sending that "Dracula" introduction to an ex-nun friend of mine who is crazy about the novel. Let's see what she says. ;)
gloomysundae
Level4
Level4

Post by gloomysundae »

maisonvivante wrote: I've slowly been piecing my DW Library of the Occult together, but it isn't easy, especially living in the U.S.
Hello, maisonvivante.

They don't turn up very often in London these days either. It's strange because not so long ago, as with the novels, you could guarantee you'd find at least one of them every time you went to a market or charity shop. I'm sure I've passed on loads of both over the years. Now, of course, when I want them, they've done a vanishing act :?
maisonvivante wrote:I'm sending that "Dracula" introduction to an ex-nun friend of mine who is crazy about the novel. Let's see what she says.
Oh, it's bound to raise her appreciation of Mr. W to an entirely new level .... ;-) You should get her to join the board!

Return to “General Topics”