Wheatley endorses "The Tarot"

The place to post anything DW-related
gloomysundae
Level4
Level4

Wheatley endorses "The Tarot"

Post by gloomysundae »

Recently, by a stroke of outrageous good fortune, I picked up three bound volumes of The Unexplained magazine in a charity shop. I'm not sure of the dates (seventies? eighties?), but the entire back cover of issue 26 is given over to an advertisement for Brian Innes' The Tarot and Horoscopes, published by New Era.

Wheatley writes of The Tarot:
"This book is a great achievement. It is the only one on the Tarot I have ever read which gives a really lucid description of that most muddled of all mysteries concerning the occult. Many occultists maintain that the cards originated in China, Persia, India or ancient Egypt as the 'Book of Toth. For the last assertion there is not one shadow of evidence: although the sayings of the God of Wisdom may have been handed down through the centuries.

Brian Innes not only describes scores of cards with their supposed potentialities, but also tells of the activities of the best known occultists in the past 150 years and gives numerous examples of their layouts ..."
So the obvious ones:

Does anybody have a copy of this, and is it as lucid as DW cracks it up to be?
Bob Rothwell
Webmaster
Webmaster

Post by Bob Rothwell »

gloomysundae, can't find any reference to this book under this publisher anywhere. The earliest publication I can find is 1977 by Orbis Publishing. Any chance of an e-mail with a scan to further assist (and add to my collection of ephemera :lol: )?
Last edited by Bob Rothwell on Mon 8 May, 2006 16:44:43, edited 1 time in total.
gloomysundae
Level4
Level4

Post by gloomysundae »

I'll get a scan to you over the next few days, Bob. The way the quote trails off into "..." suggests this might be taken from an introduction to the book, but then again, it might not. I don't want to build your hopes up ...
Bob Rothwell
Webmaster
Webmaster

Post by Bob Rothwell »

Thanks gloomysundae. Interestingly, there are a number of editions to be found on the web, but none of them mention an intro by DW; so unless there was one and it only appeared in this mysterious 'New Era' edition......

Return to “General Topics”