Upgrade Of Site?

The place to post anything DW-related
Cibator
Level4
Level4

Upgrade Of Site?

Post by Cibator »

I've been away from the site for quite a while recently, partly because little seemed to be happening, and partly because other matters were engaging much of my attention. On my return, I've noticed we seem to have the "Most Recent Posts" feature restored, even if not quite in its original form. Good-oh!

Something else far less desirable has also occurred. Any post that includes matter quoted from an earlier one now has the quoted matter rendered illegible by rows of big black inverted commas. Is this a software error, an unexpected bug, or has the site been hacked?
Fas est et ab hoste doceri
Cibator
Level4
Level4

Re: Upgrade Of Site?

Post by Cibator »

Like this!
Cibator wrote: Sat 6 Jul, 2019 22:37:28 Any post that includes matter quoted from an earlier one now has the quoted matter rendered illegible by rows of big black inverted commas.
Darren
Level5
Level5

Post by Darren »

Hi Cibator - this has been brought to the attention of Charles who is following it up with the suppliers.

I agree - it is less desirable.

On a more positive note - it is delightful to have you back in the DW community.
Regards,

Darren.
Cibator
Level4
Level4

Post by Cibator »

Without wanting to sound too much like a habitual moaner, can I point out another irritating feature of the site that should be capable of being easily fixed? I refer to the way several punctuation marks (such as quotes, apostrophes, etc) currently appear with extraneous characters in front of them. Here's an example of what I mean, from the first posting on "Faked Passports":

‘When the first glimmerings of returning consciousness stirred Gregory Sallust’s brain the aeroplane was thousands of feet above Northern Germany.’

(Having lifted this from its original source, I now wonder how it'll actually appear once I submit the comment.}

The thing must date from a revamping of the site, as part of which the underlying character set was changed. A combination of bits/bytes that used to represent a certain character is no longer being correctly recognised.
Jim
Level5
Level5

Post by Jim »

This heading should read:
Upgrade (?) Of Site?

:D
Steve Whatley
Level5
Level5

Post by Steve Whatley »

Forgive me if I've said this before, but if a website is working well, and to the satisfaction of its users, why 'upgrade' it just for the sake of it?

It is due to the modern philosophy that nothing must remain the same for too long, as it will be deemed to be 'old-fashioned' and 'non-progressive.'

But of course the old adage is born of age-old wisdom; 'if a thing is not broken, do not attempt to fix it.'

Unfortunately, people today cannot accept that they have created a system that is as near to perfection as its users require, and that therefore no 'upgrading' is required.

So, we must move with the times, because somebody somewhere says so.

Happy Days to All,
Steve

Return to “General Topics”