The EU Referendum

Anything non-DW if you insist!
Cibator
Level4
Level4

The EU Referendum

Post by Cibator »

Well ladies and gentlemen: today is a crucial one for the future of the United Kingdom. Please give this matter your most careful consideration, and be sure to vote. Your opinion does count!

I think I know which way our favourite author would have jumped, but who knows what the right choice will turn out to have been, with the benefit of hindsight a generation or two from now?

Regardless of the outcome, I wish the old country well, and hope it proves able to make the most of whatever decision is reached. I will be following the results with keen anticipation.

All the very best.

Cibator

(Note that I preferred to use a more formal title than that rather horrible term "Brexit Vote".)
Fas est et ab hoste doceri
Darren
Level5
Level5

Post by Darren »

Thank you Cibator. Well we now know the result.

I am now going to get behind the independent Yorkshire campaign - it's called BOYCOTT UK!! :rofl

(non-UK folk will have to know something about cricket to get that joke).
Regards,

Darren.
Cibator
Level4
Level4

Post by Cibator »

I get the allusion, Darren. As for Yorkshire independence, I reckon a vote on that would be another Close result, although The Broad Acres should be able to Cope whatever the outcome. (But aren't all these jokes geting a bit Old?) :-D
Fas est et ab hoste doceri
shanedwyer
Level5
Level5

Post by shanedwyer »

This 'voice [of the people] was rarely raised; but when it was, rulers had good cause to tremble, and almost invariably, the result was a cessation of repression or a change of government; as the ‘voice’ was usually pregnant with both justice and commonsense.

DW
Charles
Level5
Level5

Post by Charles »

To bring this thread back to Wheatley-land, I really wonder which way DW would have voted.

He loved Europe, with its wines and individual cultures, and had strong views on how it should be re-organised post World War II - as evidenced by some of his War Papers reprinted in Stranger Than Fiction.

He also had a strong regard for the Romans and their organising ways and the enlightened (?) stability they brought to their provinces - although perhaps he would have enjoyed things less if he had been a Briton at the time.

On the other hand, he hated bureaucracy - as evidenced by the little slip he had to have inserted into copies of Saturdays With Bricks to remind readers there were such things as Planning Regulations.

My guess, overall, is that he would have been an 'Outer', because he would not have liked the way in which U.K. Law was subjugated to E.U. Law - but I am genuinely unsure.

Your views ?

Cibator - do you believe DW would have been a Brexiteer in current circumstances - ?

As I say, I'd be most interested in your thoughts. What a pity DW isn't around so we can ask him .... unless of course we ask the Duke de Richleau to summon him back from the beyond as he did with Tanith ...
Charles
ken68
Level5
Level5

Post by ken68 »

i think charles that your points sums up not just how DW would have felt but a lot of people now feel, and not just the british either.
most of us love being european but not at the cost of our national identities. the ever increasing attempts to create a single european identity is a big turn off for a lot of people across europe. something i have to say that up here in scotland does not seem to have been noticed.......yet.
the bureaucracy is merely a foundation for the standardisation they are trying to achieve.
although i did eventually vote to remain it was the first time in my voting life that i could not see a clear path. my attitude became one off, if i thought we could change it i would stay in, if i thought the uk would change i would leave. i can't see that either is likely mores the pity and that was the dilemma.

hope this doesn't come across as a rant :?

DW imo would have been a brexiteer with relutance. many of his stories point to close relations with europe, and indeed some even with a close resemblance to the four freedoms causing all the chaos at the moment. if his writings reflect his point of view then i think he would have been looking for a deal along those lines. no political union, but keep the four freedoms.

tough one to call though, it is a very complex argument with many nuances.
Charles
Level5
Level5

Post by Charles »

Thanks Ken - your thoughts much appreciated.

I agree with you DW would have been a Brexiteer with reluctance, but I'm sure as with all of us, it would have been a very tough decision.

Be interesting now to see how it all plays out ...
Charles
shanedwyer
Level5
Level5

Post by shanedwyer »

I love Europe too. I'd rather read Zola than Dickens and I'd be much happier grazing tapas and drinking Rioja in the Iberian peninsular than eating a scotch egg on the Edgware Road.

However, coming to a decision about the referendum didn't present me with much of a dilemma: I voted 'Out', am happy I did so, and wouldn't hesitate to do so again...and my foreign-born wife did the same.

If the EU was the principled and well-intentioned brotherhood its supporters make it out to be, I would have cast my vote differently. But it's not: It's a ghastly amalgam of German corporatism and snooty French Jacobinism- a cruel and mercenary vanity project for and of the elites.

And I think DW would have voted to leave with an alacrity that exceeded mine.
Charles
Level5
Level5

Post by Charles »

Put that way, I think you're absolutely right about how DW would have voted !

Best as always !
Charles
shanedwyer
Level5
Level5

Post by shanedwyer »

And Teutonic industrialists and soixante-huitards aside, God only knows what DW would make of the spivs, mountebanks, student union bedwetters and downright loonies who currently lord it over us in Parliament.

Any French ducs out there up for a coup?
Alan
Level5
Level5

Post by Alan »

Cibator wrote:I get the allusion, Darren. As for Yorkshire independence, I reckon a vote on that would be another Close result, although The Broad Acres should be able to Cope whatever the outcome. (But aren't all these jokes geting a bit Old?) :-D
You are a TRUE MAN, posting such things.
ken68
Level5
Level5

Post by ken68 »

soixante-huitards?
i had to look that up, i only know one soixante number, and its not that one ;) .
shanedwyer
Level5
Level5

Post by shanedwyer »

Well, the student upheaval in Paris 1968 did begin with a row about couples having the right to spend the night together in the campus accommodation blocks.

Return to “Off-Topic”