Which of DW's characters...

The place to post anything DW-related
Alan
Level5
Level5

Which of DW's characters...

Post by Alan »

Long term haunters of this forum might have wondered where I've been all this time. Or, more likely, have been relieved by my absence and will now be screaming some variant of "oh no! We thought we'd got rid of him"... cutting a long story short, a computer crash meant I lost all my saved passwords, and it took much skullduggery to get my access here back. Eventually I was forced to draw a pentacle in my library and summon Tanith, who managed to scream out my password before vanishing again. Anyway...

Here's a topic that I'll throw into the general discussion and I hope it's on-topic enough to be in this part of the site. The fact is, though I love DW's works, I'm pretty aware that if we had ever actually met - or if some quirk of time travel enabled me to nip back to sometime before 1977 and share a glass of wine with our literary hero - we'd probably have been wanting to strangle each other before we'd got through our main courses. Truly a case of "Mr Dennis Wheatley and Alan Smith had gone into dinner at eight o'clock, but the ambulance did not arrive until after ten..." DW's political opinions, views on homosexuality, modern art, trade unions, racial equality and ethics differ so radically from my own that I doubt we'd have many points in common.

However, I do like to think that were I to meet one of DW's fictional creations... maybe Gregory Sallust or The Duke... we'd have a lot more points in common. So, here's a mental exercise for you all. if anyone wishes to take up this challenge.

Which of DW's creations would you most like to have met? And why?

Since it would be wimping out not to list my own preference, I'll state it here. It's Sabine Tzulto! reason? Apart from the obvious (she's gorgeous, and might need, ahem, "consoling" after losing Gregory to Erika) she's intelligent, witty, courageous and charming. Erika, of course, also meets the criteria, but I've no wish to make an enemy of Mr Gregory Sallust, than you very much!

OK, let's see if anyone else picks up on this.

Charles
Level5
Level5

Post by Charles »

Welcome back !

What an interesting question ... I'll ponder my own answer ... but of course if I follow your own theme my answer might reveal too much to this forum :D :D :D :D

I'll await others' answers with interest !
Charles
ericmocata
Level5
Level5

Post by ericmocata »

Hmm, I think I would have to say Damien Mocata, of course, would be high up on my list. Before his death, of course. I just think he'd be an interesting person to hang out with for a bit. Besides, I am sure we'd have some stuff in common and plenty to talk about. Maybe learn a couple of "tricks" from him while I am at it. :twisted:
shanedwyer
Level5
Level5

Post by shanedwyer »

The Black Baroness. Sex.
Darren
Level5
Level5

Post by Darren »

I was going to make my own contribution, but it sounds a bit boring after Shane's response. :smt023
Regards,

Darren.
CharlesAdmin
Level2
Level2

Post by CharlesAdmin »

Shane - please consider yourself awarded the medal for best post of the year.

:D
Alan
Level5
Level5

Post by Alan »

I hereby second CharlesAdmin's comment. A post of such succinctness deserves the winner's bouquet!
shanedwyer
Level5
Level5

Post by shanedwyer »

Ja ja, thanks for the accolades chaps. But please don't let my brevity or candour hinder the conversation. Have at it with your confessions (c'mon Darren)- this is a cracking thread.
Alan
Level5
Level5

Post by Alan »

shanedwyer wrote:Ja ja, thanks for the accolades chaps. But please don't let my brevity or candour hinder the conversation. Have at it with your confessions (c'mon Darren)- this is a cracking thread.
Well, thanks for such kind words, Mr Bouquet Holder (And not, as a certain lady called Hyacinth might point out, "Bucket Holder!")

So, let's try a reboot/modification here. Howzabout we change the criteria to exclude any pankie-hanky. Male readers can still choose a female character if they wish, or vice-versa (and those that prefer their own gender have the equivalent freedom) BUT the selection must be made purely with good conversation and an enjoyable Platonic evening in mind. With this minor restriction, I think I'd list my own choice as Simon Aron. There are many other of DW's characters I'd loved to have met, but SA's sensitivity and intelligence seem above the pack even in this exalted company.
shanedwyer
Level5
Level5

Post by shanedwyer »

In that case Alan, I'll have my groom drop off my card at the Duc's.

And see if old Greyeyes is up for a few Guinnesses on the Edgware Road and a chat about organising a coup d'état.
ken68
Level5
Level5

Post by ken68 »

shanedwyer wrote:
The Black Baroness. Sex.
ive taken note of that shane, the relevance of which will be only be known in two weeks time!

:lol:

ken
Charles
Level5
Level5

Post by Charles »

Alan,

Point taken re getting back to your fascinating suggestion for a thread.

I'd happily choose the Duke or Lucretia, or any of their gang, because I am so fond of the Duke myself.

But if you want someone a little recherché, I give you, even if he isn't in an incarnation at the moment, the genial faced Roman Catholic priest in Chapter 5 of Strange Conflict.

He would have a few stories to tell us !

All best !
Charles
Charles
Level5
Level5

Post by Charles »

For those of you who don't have a copy of Strange Conflict on their shelves to check him out, or who haven't read the book recently, here he is :

[the Duke is on the Astral]

'Shortly afterwards a plump, genial-faced Roman Catholic priest came walking down the street and he and de Richleau greeted each other with evident affection. The priest was not in a state of incarnation at this time so he had no mortal body, but de Richleau had known him for many centuries and had often met him in various incarnations on Earth; at one time the two of them had been twin sisters and they were devoted to each other.'

I won't spoil the book for anyone who hasn't read it by saying anything further ... other than that if Hitchcock had made a film of the book (I wish he had), surely he would have chosen this nameless gentleman for his cameo appearances ... he only appears for a few paragraphs at the start and end of the book, but he is surely one of DW's most interesting creations ... ?

Anyway, were I to sit down with him and have a few glasses of claret, I think the time would go all too fast before the cloister bell tolled and I had to take my leave of him ... and I would press him for a few stories of what the Duke was like when he wore a skirt ...
Charles
Alan
Level5
Level5

Post by Alan »

Charles wrote:For those of you who don't have a copy of Strange Conflict on their shelves to check him out, or who haven't read the book recently, here he is :

[the Duke is on the Astral]

'Shortly afterwards a plump, genial-faced Roman Catholic priest came walking down the street and he and de Richleau greeted each other with evident affection. The priest was not in a state of incarnation at this time so he had no mortal body, but de Richleau had known him for many centuries and had often met him in various incarnations on Earth; at one time the two of them had been twin sisters and they were devoted to each other.'

I won't spoil the book for anyone who hasn't read it by saying anything further ... other than that if Hitchcock had made a film of the book (I wish he had), surely he would have chosen this nameless gentleman for his cameo appearances ... he only appears for a few paragraphs at the start and end of the book, but he is surely one of DW's most interesting creations ... ?

Anyway, were I to sit down with him and have a few glasses of claret, I think the time would go all too fast before the cloister bell tolled and I had to take my leave of him ... and I would press him for a few stories of what the Duke was like when he wore a skirt ...
What an amazing choice! I wish DW had told us how many incarnations back they'd been twins... and that people wrote DW fanfic they way they do for "Star Trek" and such!!! Such fertile ground...
Charles
Level5
Level5

Post by Charles »

I'm glad you approve !

I hope others will continue this thread, I think it's hugely enjoyable .... and Alan, I agree with you completely about fanfic ... maybe in the fullness of time this will happen ... I certainly hope so.

Best as always !
Charles

Return to “General Topics”