Fu Manchu Article in Fortean Times

Anything non-DW if you insist!
Steve Whatley
Level5
Level5

Post by Steve Whatley »

Hurrah! My copy arrived today, and a very handsome volume it is too.

This is very well-timed, as just recently I have finished reading Master Of Villainy for the third time.

My first thought on the new volume, after having read part of Phil Baker's introduction, is that I hope it won't be too scholarly for my tastes.

Have any copies reached the United States yet?
[font=Times New Roman] [/font]
Jim
Level5
Level5

Post by Jim »

Steve Whatley wrote:Hurrah! My copy arrived today, and a very handsome volume it is too.
I have their two books about Baron Corvo and his followers, and I know they do quality work. As it's a limited edition, I would think it's a must-have for any serious Rohmer fan (even though I whinge about the cost of the shipping).
This is very well-timed, as just recently I have finished reading Master Of Villainy for the third time.
I have it, but have only read it once from cover to cover; I often dip into it. Considering the number of hands involved, it's not bad at all.
My first thought on the new volume, after having read part of Phil Baker's introduction, is that I hope it won't be too scholarly for my tastes.
If you've read any of Chris Fowler's "Invisible Ink" columns (just to single out one of the people involved), I imagine his contribution will be along that line--full of enthusiasm, but not slavishly careful about facts.
Have any copies reached the United States yet?
Alas, not yet...but there's still tomorrow!
Jim
Level5
Level5

Post by Jim »

Steve Whatley wrote: Have any copies reached the United States yet?
Mine arrived late last week. It truly is a beautiful piece of bookmaking, with a striking jacket, and a very nice binding. Some of the essays do look rather scholarly, but some are more along the lines of what you would find in a good quality fan magazine.

I'm glad I sprang for it, even with the high cost of postage. (It's so expensive to move books across The Pond in either direction.) There was another book I wanted recently, called The Library of the Lost, which included Roger Dobson's essay about DW. I saw it, only once, in a shop here in New York; unfortunately, they mark up import books to collect every penny of what shipping costs them, so I passed on it. I figured I could get it from Tartarus direct--but they had already sold out, and then, so had the shop. The one and only copy on Bookfinder is going for $200!

Just to bring this back on topic, Phil Baker tells us DW had Rohmer books in his library, but the auction catalog doesn't list any. I wonder who got them...

Return to “Off-Topic”