Level5

Happy Birthday, Sir Christopher

Post by Jim »

Yes, Christopher Lee, a/k/a the Duke de Richleau, is 93 today! :twisted:
shanedwyer
Level5
Level5

Post by shanedwyer »

He's an interesting bloke is Sir Christopher.

His Lord of Misrule is one of the most engaging autobiographies I've ever read.
Charles
Level5
Level5

Post by Charles »

Nicely spotted - I had missed it !

Happy Birthday to DW's good friend, and the man who did such a splendid job of portraying the Duke de Richleau.

What a pity he was unable to film a sequel !
Charles
Jim
Level5
Level5

Post by Jim »

shanedwyer wrote: His Lord of Misrule is one of the most engaging autobiographies I've ever read.
I have the earlier version, Tall, Dark and Gruesome; a great deal has happened to him since then. (My 1997 edition doesn't even mention The Lord of the Rings).
shanedwyer
Level5
Level5

Post by shanedwyer »

Tall, Dark and Gruesome? What a lovely title- arresting, modest and funny!

Sir Chris' appearance on the BBC's Desert Island Discs can be streamed on their iPlayer; although I'd imagine you'd need a UK IP address to access it.
Richard Webster
Level3
Level3

Post by Richard Webster »

Likewise, many happy returns to Sir Christopher, a marvellous actor and, by all accounts, an exceptionally nice person as well, and a true gentleman. His filmography is extraordinary, a scarcely credible 207 films since 1948, and still working today. One of the most iconic Draculas ever, an excellent Bond villain in The Man With The Golden Gun, and did great work in The Wicker Man, and as Henry Baskerville in Hammer's Hound of the Baskervilles, my all time favourite Sherlock Holmes adaptation. And whenever I read any of DW's de Richleau stories, it's always his voice in my head, thanks to his portrayal of the Duke in The Devil Rides Out. I hope he's doing well, and with more birthdays yet to come.
Richard Webster
Level3
Level3

Post by Richard Webster »

I've just heard the very sad news that Sir Christopher has passed away. A fine actor, and a true gentleman of the old school. May he rest in peace.
shanedwyer
Level5
Level5

Post by shanedwyer »

Just this minute read the news on the web. Bloody sad. Rotten.
Jim
Level5
Level5

Post by Jim »

"Sir Christopher Lee, known as the master of horror, has died at the age of 93 after being hospitalised for respiratory problems and heart failure.

The veteran actor, immortalised in films from Dracula to The Wicker Man, and via James Bond villainy to the Lord of the Rings trilogy, died at 8.30 am on Sunday morning at Chelsea and Westminster Hospital in London.

His wife, the former Danish model Birgit Kroencke, decided to hold back the information for four days until all family members and friends were informed. The couple had been married for more than 50 years and had one daughter, Christina."
Charles
Level5
Level5

Post by Charles »

There can be no doubt that the debt DW fans owe to Sir Christopher is enormous.

Not only was he a good friend and publicist for DW (not that DW needed much help on the latter score :D ), but he also gave us the definitive rendering of the Duke de Richleau - and thereafter told all who would listen that he would love to make another DW film.

It is sad that he now won't, but let us hope someone else will take up the mantle in due course ... and if they do half the job that Sir Christopher did, they can be extraordinarily proud.

I rejoice in his life, as in DW's.
Charles
Charles
Level5
Level5

Post by Charles »

I daresay there is a condolences book on one or more of his fan sites.

If there is, it would be nice if someone put something there on behalf of the DW community ...

Again all best ...
Charles
ericmocata
Level5
Level5

Post by ericmocata »

I heard about this while at work this morning. I overheard somebody say something like, "What? Man that sucks, he was my favorite Dracula." The first thing that came to mind was that Mr. Lee had died, so I looked him up online and sure enough, he had. On the good side of things, the man had a long life and accomplished so much more than most of us do. That does not make the news any the less sad, however.

Christopher Lee is a name I have known since I was a young child, flipping through library books which discussed various old horror movies. I saw, again and again, him next to the late-great Peter Cushing. Two of the most talented and respected actors to grace us, hands-down.

I plan on having a personal Christopher Lee marathon over the next several days. I think I will start with The Devil Rides Out. The Wicker Man will have to be in there somewhere, along with To the Devil a Daughter and at least a few of his Dracula films. Not to mention, one of my favorite Bond movies, The Man with the Golden Gun. Maybe I will even watch the Star Wars movies he was in.

Put simply, the man was a legend and I know he will be missed.
Stevie P
Level5
Level5

Post by Stevie P »

Sir Christopher Lee is with us no more but he will always be remembered (Particularly amongst this fraternity).
He has played many great film roles such as Dracula, Lord of the Rings, The Hobbit, Star Wars and The Wicker Man amongst others but in my mind he will always be 'The Duke de Richleau'.

Thanks & Farewell.

Stevie P
ken68
Level5
Level5

Post by ken68 »

R I P Messr Le Duc
Darren
Level5
Level5

Post by Darren »

When I was about 9 or 10, I got what was to become my best Xmas present ever – a book on Horror Films by Alan Frank. I devoured it for years, it was full of amazing photos and poster adverts. I took it to school and shared it with my mates in class who were equally intrigued by the graphic images. The names of Boris Karloff, Peter Cushing and Christopher Lee became imprinted in my adolescent brain as the Kings of horror. I have been hooked on the genre ever since – that was 38 years ago. And to this day they remain unchallenged on that throne.

The genre owes so much to Christopher Lee. His insistence on getting the original Hammer Dracula as close to the novel as possible. Persuading Hammer to film TDRO that resulted in what many regard as Hammer’s finest work. And my favourite film of all time, The Wicker Man (following which the amazing sub-genre Folk Horror exists). These films are the best in the genre – and it is Christopher Lee’s great performances, and his significant artistic influence that lift them above the best of the rest.

Good bye, Sir Christopher Lee, and thank you.
Regards,

Darren.

Return to “General Topics”