A New Member Steps Into the Library

Here's where you can tell us about yourself
Richard Webster
Level3
Level3

A New Member Steps Into the Library

Post by Richard Webster »

Hello,

Thank you for allowing me to enter the Library, as a contributing member. I have enjoyed reading several of the contributions here, and look forward to adding some of my own, in the coming weeks and months.

I live in Winchester, and when not occupied with my not terribly interesting day job, I enjoy writing fiction almost as much as I enjoy reading it. I recently had a novella on a very occult theme shortlisted for the finals of the Manchester Metropolitan University 2014 Novella Award, and I am currently about half-way through writing a full length occult thriller, a tale involving black magic on the Marlborough Downs, and touching upon another interest of mine, which is prehistoric Britain. But that's just to tell you a little about me. There will be no plugs of my own work here, I promise!

I first started reading Dennis Wheatley as a teenager, about thirty years ago - "The Haunting of Toby Jugg" was the first of his books that I read - attracted both by the occult themes, as I am a long time afficionado of this genre, and also, I dare say, like a lot of adolescent boys, by the lurid, semi-erotic covers that adorned his paperbacks during that period. I read quite a number of his books back then, which I have been re-reading with great pleasure over the past couple of years, as well as reading several others for the first time.

I am, first and foremost, an immense fan of the Duke de Richlieu series, and the Duke himself is one of my favourite literary characters. My favourite Wheatley novel, however, is not part of this series, although it has a strong black magic theme. "To the Devil A Daughter" is, in my view, the very best book that DW ever wrote, with its excellent premise, and evocative settings, and it benefits, I feel, from being written at a time when DW was at the very peak of his powers. I have just read it for the third time, and look forward to contributing a review to the Library in due course.

I have a nice, if very incomplete, collection of DW books. I have masses of the yellow spined Arrow paperbacks, with their wonderful covers, and a number of first edition hardbacks in their dust-jackets, of which my most prized possession is a mint condition "Island Where Time Stood Still". I am also very fond of my first editions of the aforementioned "To the Devil a Daughter", and my "Prisoner in the Mask".

I have recently uploaded many of the books onto my kindle, which is how I now tend to read them. My ageing eyes find the tiny print in the paperbacks a bit of a struggle these days, and my hardbacks are too precious to risk spillages or other damage. It's terrific that these books have been e-published for a new generation of readers, as well as fans from old like us.

Thank you for having me, and I look forward to discussing all things Wheatley with you in the future.

Richard
Jim
Level5
Level5

Post by Jim »

Welcome aboard, Richard!

This isn't the busiest forum on the Net, but you'll search long and hard for a nicer bunch of posters...
shanedwyer
Level5
Level5

Post by shanedwyer »

Yes, welcome Richard. It's nice to read your posts and make your (virtual) acquaintance.

My first DW was Toby Jugg too. And To the Devil... has long been a favourite of mine.
ken68
Level5
Level5

Post by ken68 »

welcome indeed richard,
funny how many us first came to DW through toby jugg. its a close call for me between ttdad and sixty days to live for me as favourite.

ken
duffellbag
Level2
Level2

Post by duffellbag »

Welcome Richard

Don't be afraid to plug your novel, its sounds intriguing...........perhaps i might re-read TTDAD as well
Darren
Level5
Level5

Post by Darren »

Toby Jugg was the reason I tried DW for the first time.

As a child I remember my older brother trying out DW via the Octopus/Heinemann compilation in the late 70s. He was dismissive of TDRO but his reaction to Toby Jugg (fear and excitement) made a significant impact on his little brother. I spent the next couple of years looking at the DW omnibus on the bookshelf, curiously wondering what horrors were inside it and eventually I took the plunge to find out what excited my brother so much with Toby Jugg. I read all the stories in order (so my first DW read was actually TDRO). The stories thrilled me and I was instantly hooked.

I have so much sentimental affection for Toby Jugg because of those 2 years of curiosity. I wonder if my brother still has the book.
Regards,

Darren.
Richard Webster
Level3
Level3

Post by Richard Webster »

Thank you for the very nice welcomes. I've certainly enjoyed being here, and discussing "To the Devil a Daughter", over on another thread.

Yes, it's funny about how "Toby Jugg" seems to be the starting point for so many. I even know people who don't read Dennis Wheatley who have read this book. Perhaps it's the title that draws people to it, or the very good premise, or the fact that it isn't part of a series. Who knows? Terrific book, though, and I'll add some thoughts on it in the appropriate place in due course.

I'm reading "The Satanist" at the moment, for the first time, although I recall starting it as a teenager and giving up on it (it does go on a bit). But I'm enjoying it, and will contribute some thoughts about it when I finish it. I will just say, though, a great female lead, and thus far the makings of a very good love story, aside from all the other intrigues and excitements.
Charles
Level5
Level5

Post by Charles »

Dear Richard,

I know we had a brief email exchange earlier, but this is just to add another warm welcome to the site. I would have joined the other posters earlier, but I've been away.

Like you, I am an enormous fan of the Duke de Richleau; unlike the others, I am not quite so keen on The Haunting of Toby Jugg - we all have different tastes ! I hope you enjoy The Satanist ... I'll be interested to know what you think.

Kindest regards,
Charles

Return to “Introductions”