The Dennis Wheatley Museum- The Final Years

The place to post anything DW-related
duffellbag
Level2
Level2

The Dennis Wheatley Museum- The Final Years

Post by duffellbag »

I would just like to say how much i enjoyed this section, as this would be around the time i started reading Wheatley, DW coming to my notice through of all those Sunday adverts for the Heron Editions; as a teenager I could not afford these but they spurred me on to the library to borrow the black magic novels with those wonderful Lymington Edition Covers which were so apt for their time and then a lttle later when a young apprentice buying the library of the occult titles

ahh memories!
Jim
Level5
Level5

Post by Jim »

I also came to Dennis Wheatley in the early 1970s, and I guess The Devil Rides Out was my first. There was at that time an attempt to sell him to the American market--it did not go over well, except for the Black Magic titles, and only the first two Gregory Sallust and Roger Brook stories were issued here. However, a bookshop at Grand Central Terminal brought in British paperbacks on a regular basis, which included DW in the Arrow solid colored photo covers, and we still had the British Book Centre in NYC at that time (now both gone, of course). A co-worker, as it developed, was also into Wheatley, and we happily tore through the Gregory Sallust war series...I did not read the other de Richleau novels until some time later, and still have most of Roger's adventures ahead of me.
Last edited by Jim on Sat 2 Aug, 2014 14:57:15, edited 1 time in total.
Charles
Level5
Level5

Post by Charles »

Hi Duffellbag,

I'm delighted you enjoyed the new Room - it's always great to have feedback.

Every day now when I turn on the News I see items about Monday being the anniversary of the start of World War One, and it draws me back to the Room about that period.

I find it hard to believe it was 100 years ago ... reading 'The Young Man Said' makes it feel as if it was only last week !

All best to all !
Charles

Return to “General Topics”