Strange Conflict

The place to post anything DW-related
Raven
Level1
Level1

Strange Conflict

Post by Raven »

Greetings.
What a revelation to discover DW again after so many years. I remember subscribing to the 'heron' collection when it was advertised in a sunday newspaper ( The one featured on this site. .....god, does THAT bring back memories!). But to my topic, i've never read this book, would someone kindly give me a few details. I take it this is set before 'Gateway to Hell'?

Thankyou
Nick
Level5
Level5

Post by Nick »

It's set in Wartime Britain and beyond, and uses one charactor from the Sallust stories (Sir Pellinore Gwain-Cust) The out of body scenes and the attack by the Satanist are years before their time. Well worth reading. Enjoy!
Bob Rothwell
Webmaster
Webmaster

Post by Bob Rothwell »

Welcome Raven, nice to have you on board.

I agree with Nick - a must read for any DW fan and definitely one of my favourites (well, anything that had adventures on the Astral Plane does it for me!).

To quote from the main site (taken from an Arrow edition):
When the bombs fall on London the elderly Duke de Richleau considers a problem of the utmost urgency. What methods are the Germans using to discover – with sinister effect – the secret routes of the Atlantic convoys? His answer is bizarre and fantastic. The enemy are in touch with supernatural powers which can be overcome only by those who have the knowledge and courage to join battle with them on the Astral Plane. The Duke and his supporters face the terrifying challenge from the Powers of Darkness.
The plot is set between October 1940 and 1941, whereas Gateway to Hell is Dec 1953 to Feb 1954.
Raven
Level1
Level1

Post by Raven »

Nick & Bob, Thanks very much indeed! Looks like i'll have to get myself a copy :)

Tell me, who penned the cosy introduction to the library on here?. I think thats one of the things i enjoy about the DW DeRichleau stories, the fine cigars, the wine, the wonderful leather upholstered furniture ( i'm guessing anyway)......great stuff! :)
Bob Rothwell
Webmaster
Webmaster

Post by Bob Rothwell »

Raven wrote:Tell me, who penned the cosy introduction to the library on here?. I think thats one of the things i enjoy about the DW DeRichleau stories, the fine cigars, the wine, the wonderful leather upholstered furniture ( i'm guessing anyway)......great stuff!
I cannot lie - it was I (with due acknowledgements to the master, of course)!
Garry Holmes
Level5
Level5

Post by Garry Holmes »

In total agreement about the introduction to the library. Well done. In total agreement about Strange Conflict. Just the other day a friend showed me a clipping from a war-time newspaper. It was an advertising piece for DW's astonishing new book 'Strange Conflict'. Methinks I might just go back and reread it as soon as possible!
gloomysundae
Level4
Level4

Post by gloomysundae »

I've re-read a few of the 'black magic' novels recently and, Strange Conflict has been the stand-out so far. The Devil Rides Out must have been a very hard act to follow, but he fills this one with so many convincingly spooky moments - the zombie ritual is very disturbing - and it maintains a cracking pace pretty much from the off. I really struggled with Gateway To Hell though. Presumably he wrote that when he'd just turned 70?
Raven
Level1
Level1

Post by Raven »

Morning gloomy ( great name you've got there), You found gateway to hell a struggle? wow that is a surprise!.....i first read that back in the early eighties and was blown away by it. The DonSalvador character is wonderfully evil and i've been surprised that there's never been a movie based on it.

As for Devil Rides Out, this remains my favourite. The Goat Of Mendes was particularly disturbing to my young mind back then, but the thing i like about it above all are the main characters, I was particulary partial to Richard Eatons House! Don't ask why, it's just the way it's discribed. I also convinced myself that these people actually exist! ...such was the way the story was written.

Well i've recently bought the heron edition of Strange Conflict and i'll make a start on it tomorrow night. Never read it before so i'ts going to be interesting
gloomysundae
Level4
Level4

My Wheatley Hell

Post by gloomysundae »

[font=Verdana]Hi Raven

Hey, just ignore me. I'm always moaning about something :rofl

Actually, I've said my piece elsewhere on here about aspects of DW's work I don't find particularly appealing. For what it's worth, I thought they were there in abundance in Gateway To Hell. That apart, my main disappointment was the abrupt ending. I wish he'd made more of arguably the novel's most striking image, the festering, hideously pulsating, fleshy gateway itself. I certainly agree that it has great film potential, though.

BTW, welcome! I hope you enjoy the board and Bob's excellent site as much as I have, and I look forward to your comments on Strange Conflict. My hunch is you'll love it. [/font]
Raven
Level1
Level1

Post by Raven »

Yes, a cracking good story indeed! Thoroughly enjoyed it from beginning to last. I thought for a minute that the duke and his companions had bitten off more than they could chew there :-D

Your right about the voodoo ritual Mr Gloomy...nice stuff! :-)

Now it's on to Toby Jugg
Alan
Level5
Level5

Post by Alan »

Interestingly (?) enough, "The Devil Rides Out" is my favourite DW work, whereas "Strange Conflict" is the one I remember with the most affection, due to it being the first of his I ever read. and which hooked me for life on his stuff at the tender age of 13!

"Gateway to Hell" I loved, simply because the Duke and his team are the most entertaining of all DW's characters, and anything featuring them - particularly occult tales - really get my juices flowing. Having said that, it isn't nearly as gripping as the other two.
Diamondhairdan
Level3
Level3

Post by Diamondhairdan »

I have to confess, I believe Gateway to Hell to be the worst of his books. It was written out of sequence (ie set before Dangerous Inheritance, but written afterwards), and his feelings towards the shifting trends within society and young people at the start of the 70's come across a little too forcibly at the expense of a solid plot. Also, the end is too rushed, and it lacks the climax and emotion of the likes of Toby Jugg, TDRO and the excellent Strange Conflict.

Having said that, as brilliant as The Prisoner in the Mask was, I couldnt really get into Vendetta in Spain..
gloomysundae
Level4
Level4

Post by gloomysundae »

Welcome Diamondhairedan

I'm certainly in agreement with you on Gateway To Hell. I can't help thinking that, if DW wanted to give the Duc and his friends another 'black magic' adventure, he'd have made a better fist of it if he'd written it in the 'forties or 'fifties.

I've still not gotten around to one of his non-BM thrillers, but I've added The Man Who Killed the King to my never-ending list of books to read.
Last edited by gloomysundae on Mon 8 May, 2006 06:48:48, edited 1 time in total.
Lark
Level2
Level2

Post by Lark »

I'm trying to finish Gateway to Hell at the moment, I've read all the others in the du richeleau series and I kind of was disappointed by Gateway to Hell, not exactly sure why, it's just not as great as either The Devil Rides Out or Strange Conflict, which was absolutely fantastic I thought

Return to “General Topics”