Curious set of DW posters

The place to post anything DW-related
Darren
Level5
Level5

Curious set of DW posters

Post by Darren »

Hi Folks,

If you've not seen these then you are in for a pleasant surprise. I have only just discovered them and I love them. You can't see it clearly but the wine is a 1973 Rustenberg Cabernet Sauvignon.

I want one - it would look incredible above my Heron collection (I'm referring to the picture, not the wine, though I am sure the wine bottle would look great as well, but it'll be empty).

Created by photographer Mark Llewellyn (I'm not promoting him - I've never heard of him).

Enjoy.

http://fineartamerica.com/art/all/denni ... ey/posters
Last edited by Darren on Mon 3 Mar, 2014 22:07:10, edited 1 time in total.
Regards,

Darren.
Darren
Level5
Level5

Post by Darren »

Regards,

Darren.
Jim
Level5
Level5

Re: Curious set of DW posters

Post by Jim »

Darren wrote: If you've not seen these then you are in for a pleasant surprise. I have only just discovered them and I love them. You can't see it clearly but the wine is a 1973 Rustenberg Cabernet Sauvignon.
I, of course, was more interested to see what the books were... :D
(Thanks so much for sharing that!)
shanedwyer
Level5
Level5

Post by shanedwyer »

I've only just noticed this thread. I keep missing so much on this site (I look, but I don't see). But thanks for posting Darren. All very interesting, but I won't be shelling out eighty odd quid for one of them.
ericmocata
Level5
Level5

Post by ericmocata »

Well, if anybody is wondering what the two books are in the picture, it looks like it's Gateway to Hell on the bottom and Ravishing of Lady Mary Ware on top.

Please tell me that I am not the only one who had to figure it out before looking away from that image.
shanedwyer
Level5
Level5

Post by shanedwyer »

The sad thing is Eric- I tried to see which books they were, but couldn't.

'Presbyopia' I think it's called. :(
Darren
Level5
Level5

Post by Darren »

Now that you've identified them I can see the titles clearly - but I couldn't before. For completeness the third book in the other posters is The Strange Story of Linda Lee. I wonder if any thought went into the choice of the books - there's no obvious link. Perhaps he picked the three in best condition for his photo.
Regards,

Darren.
ericmocata
Level5
Level5

Post by ericmocata »

I didn't even see the pictures with three books, just the one with the wine bottle and the two books. I can't help but think that he just thought the books looked classy with their fine "leather-like" covers and supreme pseudo-gilding. I would imagine he just found a stack of them at a yard sale (do you have those in England?) and those three titles happened to be the ones he found. He probably thought, "Hmm, oh yeah, I remember this bloke. Used to be really popular, he was."

It would have been amusingly incongruous if it had been a bottle of beer with the books. Unless it was with Saturdays with Bricks, I guess. If he wanted to really capture the Wheatley spirit, right next to the table with the books and wine, he'd have a man spanking some naughty woman's bottom. Or is that too much?

Return to “General Topics”