A forthcoming talk on DW by Phil Baker

Post by Charles »

Dear All,

If you're in London on the 17th, you might like to go to this :-

The Sohemian Society
Presents
The Devil Is a Gentleman
Speaker Phil Baker

Dennis Wheatley virtually invented the popular image of black magic in twentieth century Britain, and he made it all seem strangely seductive. From the thirties to the seventies, his best-selling books presented generations of adolescents with a luxurious vision of the occult that involved pentagrams in country house libraries and virgins lying on top of altars. No wonder many occultists began by reading Wheatley, although they might not always admit it. Author of a major critical biography, The Devil Is A Gentleman, Phil Baker will discuss Wheatley’s impact on the idea of the occult in popular culture, the esoteric lore in his books, and the perennial question of how much he really knew. He’ll also say something about Wheatley’s interest in manipulating the minds of his readers, and probably indulge in some 1970s nostalgia.

Upstairs The Wheatsheaf Pub, Rathbone Place, London, W1
17th March, 7.30 pm
Admission £4 on the door - all welcome

Best wishes !

[align=center][/align]
Charles
shanedwyer
Level5
Level5

Post by shanedwyer »

Many thanks for that Charles.
Steve Whatley
Level5
Level5

Post by Steve Whatley »

Thanks Charles.

I'd love to be there, but I have a table tennis match and I don't think I'll be able to find anyone to substitute me.

Are you planning to attend?

If so, I trust you'll supply a report for us in due course...

All Best, Steve[font=Courier New] [/font]
shanedwyer
Level5
Level5

Post by shanedwyer »

And I had every intention of going, but an awful sleepless night's put paid to that plan. I plan on being in bed by 7.30 tonight. :(
Darren
Level5
Level5

Post by Darren »

I so much miss living in London. I’d never heard of the Sohemian Society, but having just viewed their website I would be a regular attendee. I can understand why they invited Phil Baker to give a talk on DW. If he was alive today I can imagine DW supporting the sentiments of the society:

The Sohemian Society exists to promote greater awareness of the characters and events associated with the history of Soho covering areas such as the arts, crime, sex, and politics. A space free of kill-joy and culture-death pre-occupations such as anti-smoking campaigns, obsessive risk avoidance, concerns about diet, pubs with sofas and fear of 'offensive' statements. Soho is a spiritual as well as a geographical location: a vortex of louche living, artistic creativity, cultural nonconformity and free expression.

The Sohemian Society exists to try and protect and revive these life-enhancing values and ways of living in an age that appears increasingly regulatory and bland.

I have had a look at some of their past events (see http://www.sohemians.com/SOHevents.html for full list) and there are quite a few that would interest visitors to the DW Museum.

For example:

The Devil's Paintbrush
The writer Jake Arnott - author of the much celebrated The Long Firm - spoke about his new, fifth, novel, The Devil's Paintbrush. Set in Paris in 1903, it focuses on an encounter between disgraced former British Army officer Sir Hector MacDonald and the occultist Aleister Crowley.

MI6: A talk on the History of Britain’s Secret Intelligence Service
Michael Smith's talk covered the period from the service’s creation in 1909 to the start of the Second World War in 1939, an era which saw Britain’s spooks involved in a variety of acts of torture, murder and mayhem that make today’s controversies seem almost mundane.

Montague Summers - Theatrical demonologist
Tim D'arch Smith talks about Montague Summers, author of classic works such as 'History of Demonology and Witchcraft' (1926), 'The Vampire: His Kith and Kin' (1928), 'The Vampire in Europe' (1929) and 'The Gothic Quest: a History of the Gothic Novel' (1938). He also claimed to be an ordained Catholic priest, though this was disputed. Summers was also an expert on English Restoration drama and helped to stage many plays from this tradition.

Sax Rohmer's Sinister London
Antony Clayton talked about Sax Rohmer - author of the very non-PC Fu Manchu mysteries based in Chinatown as well as numerous other books dealing with murder and the occult set in the West End

Many of the other lectures are more in keeping with what you would expect from a Soho inspired society. Regretfully it was too short notice for me to attend this week.
Regards,

Darren.
Charles
Level5
Level5

Post by Charles »

I too missed the talk ... I'll have to have yet another go at Phil to come and give a talk (this one or a different one) at one of our Conventions.

Phil ... if you're reading this, please take note :D :D :D

All best to all !
Charles
ken68
Level5
Level5

Post by ken68 »

i would echo charles plea.
do please come along to our little gathering phil.

a small note to everyone else, lots of great chat on here just now but i hope everyone is keeping plenty for the convention contributions!
i will soon be sending a reminder email to everyone to try and gauge attendees and possible spots and timings for the great day.

ken

Return to “General Topics”