Another Wheatley curiosity

The place to post anything DW-related
Darren
Level5
Level5

Another Wheatley curiosity

Post by Darren »

Following on from my previous post of the recent DW posters, here is another recent curious item.

The Sign of Glaaki is a book by Steven Savile and Steve Lockley that was released in January this year. It is released as part of the Arkham Horror series.

The author's website describes it as follows - "It pits history’s most esteemed escape artist, Harry Houdini, and his friend, bestselling novelist, Dennis Wheatley, against ancient evil in the small New England town of Dunwich."

More details can be found at: http://www.stevensavile.com/wordpress/what-2014-holds

I'll read it and update you further.
Regards,

Darren.
Jim
Level5
Level5

Re: Another Wheatley curiosity

Post by Jim »

Darren wrote: "It pits history’s most esteemed escape artist, Harry Houdini, and his friend, bestselling novelist, Dennis Wheatley, against ancient evil in the small New England town of Dunwich."
Interesting to see DW as a character in two novels in just a few years. History be damned: Wheatley's first book wasn't published until after Houdini's death, although the magician did have a friend who was a writer--Walter B. Gibson who, as "Maxwell Grant," created the adventures of The Shadow. Let us know what you think...
ericmocata
Level5
Level5

Post by ericmocata »

Darren, where do you find this stuff? You're kind of like a Wheatley bloodhound. Maybe you have some extra sense. You just somehow know it's there. Crazy stuff.
Darren
Level5
Level5

Post by Darren »

Either that or I lead a very sad and boring life. :smt090
Regards,

Darren.
shanedwyer
Level5
Level5

Post by shanedwyer »

Is this the first of the two novels (in which DW appears as a character) you're referring to Jim?

Satan Wants Me
Jim
Level5
Level5

Post by Jim »

shanedwyer wrote:Is this the first of the two novels (in which DW appears as a character) you're referring to Jim?
Satan Wants Me
I didn't know about that one! I was referring to F.G. Cottam's House of Lost Souls, which makes three.
shanedwyer
Level5
Level5

Post by shanedwyer »

Blimey- The House of Lost Souls. I could only manage the first couple of chapters. One of the worst pieces of hackwork I've ever come across (although if I'd known DW was going to make an appearance, I might have persevered).
Jim
Level5
Level5

Post by Jim »

shanedwyer wrote:Blimey- The House of Lost Souls. I could only manage the first couple of chapters. One of the worst pieces of hackwork I've ever come across (although if I'd known DW was going to make an appearance, I might have persevered).
Don't worry--you didn't miss anything. It was only a vaguely accurate portrayal, and seemed (as I recall) to focus more on the UN-likeable aspects of DW's personality.
shanedwyer
Level5
Level5

Post by shanedwyer »

That's useful to know- thanks Jim. Saves me having to revisit that awful book.

Return to “General Topics”