Fu Manchu Article in Fortean Times

Anything non-DW if you insist!
Steve Whatley
Level5
Level5

Fu Manchu Article in Fortean Times

Post by Steve Whatley »

For those who may be interested in another great author of thrillers, the current issue (Christmas) of Fortean Times (the journal of strange phenomena) has an article by Phil Baker about Sax Rohmer, the creator of the infamous criminal mastermind Fu Manchu.

This coincides with the recent publication of a new book, which is co-authored by Phil Baker, about the man who was hailed in an earlier biography as 'The Master Of Villainy'.[font=Times New Roman] [/font]
Jim
Level5
Level5

Post by Jim »

The title of the book is Lord of Strange Deaths, and it seems to be a centenary collection of essays edited by Baker and Anthony Clayton. Other contributors include Prof. Clive Bloom, Gary Dickinson, Christopher Fowler, Paul French, Robert Irwin, Lawrence Knapp, Gary Lachman, Prof Roger Luckhurst, Alan Moore, Steve Moore, Kim Newman, Mark Valentine and Dr Anne Witchard.

Reading further in Clayton's blog, I was rather saddened to see that one of Rohmer's houses has been marked with a blue plaque...but nothing (as we know) for DW. :cry:
Jim
Level5
Level5

Post by Jim »

This is now available to pre-order at Amazon.com, so I assume the UK site will not be far behind...
Steve Whatley
Level5
Level5

Post by Steve Whatley »

Well Jim, I ordered on 2 December, and I'm still waiting! They've twice invited me to cancel my order.

Is it available direct from the publisher?[font=Courier New] [/font]
Jim
Level5
Level5

Post by Jim »

Steve Whatley wrote:Well Jim, I ordered on 2 December, and I'm still waiting! They've twice invited me to cancel my order. Is it available direct from the publisher?[font=Courier New] [/font]
It does not show on their (Strange Attractor) site yet. Their book on "Baron Corvo" was also very late in appearing...
Jim
Level5
Level5

Post by Jim »

Amazon US now lists the book as "Out of Print--Limited Availability," in spite of the fact that its release date was only a week ago...
ericmocata
Level5
Level5

Post by ericmocata »

Has anybody been able to get this book or is it just one of those books that comes out and nobody can ever find it?
Jim
Level5
Level5

Post by Jim »

Amazon US has now listed the release date as May 6, 2014, while Amazon UK still gives a 2013 date. We'll see what happens next...
Jim
Level5
Level5

Post by Jim »

Jim wrote:Amazon US has now listed the release date as May 6, 2014, while Amazon UK still gives a 2013 date. We'll see what happens next...
Strange Attractor Press has a Facebook page, and when they recently promoted some item that was coming out (also long overdue by their own admission), I asked if there was any hope of seeing the Rohmer collection in our lifetimes? The reply was: mid-February 2015.

We'll see...
Steve Whatley
Level5
Level5

Post by Steve Whatley »

Well that's interesting, Jim.

After I ignored several suggestions from Amazon that I should cancel my order of this title, they cancelled it themselves.

So it looks as though they'd given up hope of it ever seeing the light of day...

Thanks for the good news.

Steve[font=Courier New] [/font]
Darren
Level5
Level5

Post by Darren »

On another posting I have highlighted that Professor Cushing's Crypt of the Macabre podcast series are reviewing the film, To the Devil... a Daughter in February.

In each episode they always review 2 British horror films from the 1950s, 1960s or 1970s, and in the next episode as well as TTDAD the other film they are reviewing is The Face of Fu Manchu from 1965 starring Christopher Lee.

So Sax Rohmer and DW enthusiasts will have a double feast next month.

I'll let you know when it is available.

http://cryptofthemacabre.blogspot.co.uk/
Regards,

Darren.
ericmocata
Level5
Level5

Post by ericmocata »

I am looking forward to this one-- for sure (take a shot, Darren). I dig the Rohmer stuff that I have read thus far, which is right a couple of the Fu Manchu books, Brood of the Witch Queen, and Romance of Sorcery. I have even less luck finding Rohmer's books than I do finding Wheatley's. I wonder if it just because they are older or if it just due to their respective popularity during their heydays.

I find all sorts of weird stuff at local used shops, including British printings of books (often purchased by the store on remainder I guess, since they'll be fairly new, but out for a year or so). I got some of those Wordsworth paperback editions of some books, but strangely enough, the Wheatley titles were nowhere to be found. I did eventually find a used copy of one of them (Toby Jugg, I think, don't really remember). I didn't buy it because it was a pretty used copy with a heavily worn spine.
Jim
Level5
Level5

Post by Jim »

Jim wrote:
Jim wrote:Amazon US has now listed the release date as May 6, 2014, while Amazon UK still gives a 2013 date. We'll see what happens next...
Strange Attractor Press has a Facebook page, and when they recently promoted some item that was coming out (also long overdue by their own admission), I asked if there was any hope of seeing the Rohmer collection in our lifetimes? The reply was: mid-February 2015.
Here it is, mid-March, and no sign of this one, which is (as noted) typical for Strange Attractor. Amazon UK now gives the issue date as 20 December 2015; Amazon US has not bothered to change the May 2014 release date, noting the book is "Out of Print--Limited Availability."
Jim
Level5
Level5

A release date!!!

Post by Jim »

Yes, Strange Attractor Press has finally announced the release of Lord of Strange Deaths! "500 copies, available only via Strange Attractor Press from 21 September." Needless to say, I have ordered it, though postage to the U.S. is an outlandish £15. :roll:

"Forever associated with his creation of evil genius Dr Fu Manchu, a Chinese super-criminal scheming to destroy Western civilisation, Sax Rohmer (1883-1959) was the king of pulp exotica. At the height of his fame Rohmer was one of the most popular writers on the planet, but now he is largely remembered for outrageous attitudes and lurid Chinaphobia. Lord of Strange Deaths approaches Rohmer with something more than routine disapproval, and instead brings out the complexity and historical significance of his work.

"This is the first extended attempt to do justice to Rohmer, and it ranges across the spectrum of his output from music-hall writing to Theosophy. Contributors focus on subjects including Egyptology, 1890s decadence, Edwardian super-villains, graphic novels, cinema, the French Situationists, Chinese dragon ladies, and the Arabian Nights. The result is a testimony to the enduring fascination and relevance of Rohmer’s absurd, sinister and immensely atmospheric world.

"Contributions from: Jean Augris • Phil Baker • Clive Bloom • Antony Clayton • Gary Dickinson • Christopher Fowler • Christopher Frayling • Paul French • Robert Irwin • Lawrence Knapp • Gary Lachman • Roger Luckhurst • Alan Moore • Steve Moore • Kim Newman • Kevin O’Neill • Mark Valentine • Anne Witchard."
Steve Whatley
Level5
Level5

Post by Steve Whatley »

Many thanks for pursuing this, Jim.

I've just ordered - and paid for - my copy.

Let's hope it will prove worth the wait and the money.

I'm sure it will; 'Master of Villainy' is a good biography (have you read it?), but any volume which can shed new light upon Sax Rohmer will be most welcome.

All Best, Steve

PS I don't suppose you'll be able to nip over to the UK for the Convention this year?//[font=Courier New] [/font]

Return to “Off-Topic”