The 2014 Convention

The place to post anything DW-related
Charles
Level5
Level5

The 2014 Convention

Post by Charles »

The Seventh Dennis Wheatley Convention will be held on Saturday 1st November 2014, once again at the Laura Ashley The Manor Hotel in Elstree.

Further details to follow.

Please add any thoughts or suggestions here, or if you have his contact details, contact next year's organiser Ken Gallacher direct.

All thoughts and suggestions welcome !

All best to all !
Charles
Steve Whatley
Level5
Level5

Post by Steve Whatley »

[font=Times New Roman] [/font]Thanks for confirming that, Charles.

Shock horror! I've just noticed that one of my Sixth Convention bookmarks has the wrong year upon it!!! Sorry everyone - I'll blame a computer error for that one. How very nice of you all not to mention it...

Franklin suggested we might try to play Alibi next year. This should be feasible, because the game cannot drag on for hours as Invasion or Blockade could. Before long someone must deduce the identity of the murderer by a process of elimination.

Of course, we would need two or three sets to enable everyone to play - perhaps even four, as it is a game for a maximum of only five players.

Perhaps owners of other sets would indicate their willingness to bring their set to be used? As Franklin said, we obviously wouldn't use the original 'Warrant for the arrest of...' pads - we could just write on a sheet of paper.

It could be the perfect after-lunch activity!
Charles
Level5
Level5

Post by Charles »

I hadn't noticed about the bookmark. A 'copyright feature' which will make it all the more valuable in years to come !

I can certainly bring along a copy of 'Alibi'.

Great idea !!
Charles
Darren
Level5
Level5

Post by Darren »

The date of the 2014 convention is very significant - particularly to the convention attendees who arrive the night before on Friday, 31st October 2014.

It will be 80 years to the day that The Devil Rides Out was released to the public. TDRO was published on 12th December 1934 but it was first serialised in the Daily Mail starting on 31st October 1934 (thank you yet again to the excellent DW museum of this site).

Maybe we could celebrate this important date with a reading of that first serialisation in the Dennis Wheatley lounge after dinner - perhaps when coffee is served after 10pm?
Regards,

Darren.
Steve Whatley
Level5
Level5

Post by Steve Whatley »

It would certainly be good to mark the anniversary in some way. I'd only really looked at one hundredth anniversaries before, but eighty years is a good excuse to celebrate a DW landmark such as that.

Since our 'Centenary' Field Trip to Traben-Trarbach, I've been looking for other centenaries to mark; perhaps we could organise a trip to France in 2017 to mark the centenary of DW's arrival there after three years of training and pneumonia.[font=Times New Roman] [/font]
Charles
Level5
Level5

Post by Charles »

Excellent idea !

But we'd better avoid trying to re-create what he did there or those of us who are married would quickly end up being divorced :D !
Charles

Return to “General Topics”