Daily Express Article

The place to post anything DW-related
Steve Whatley
Level5
Level5

Daily Express Article

Post by Steve Whatley »

[font=Times New Roman] [/font]Those of you who enjoy a Dennis Wheatley feature in the national press may wish to buy a copy of the Daily Express today.
Charles
Level5
Level5

Post by Charles »

Thank you, Steve !

How nice to see a double page feature on DW, and a well written one too.

As Bloomsbury ratchet up the publicity to accompany the re-launch of DW's books in e-book format (some twenty are already available), I hope we will see much more of this.

I'm not sure if it will be re-playable, but as part of all this, Dominic Wheatley and I appeared on the BBC World Service's Weekend programme at 7.40 am this morning to talk about DW. An interesting experience chatting on live Radio !

If anyone sees anything else appear in this publicity campaign, do please let us know, as we may miss something ...

All best to all as always ...
Charles
Darren
Level5
Level5

Post by Darren »

Great interview, Charles.

The World Service works on GMT so it's actually just after 6.40am.

You can listen to Charles and Dominic via the following link:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p01j7zb4

You've got 7 days to listen to it before it goes. The DW section starts at 45.00 minutes into the show.

The Daily Express article is also very positive publicity - there seems to be some momentum building up with DW.
Regards,

Darren.
Charles
Level5
Level5

Post by Charles »

Thanks, Darren - glad you thought the interview went ok. It was an early start for a Sunday morning !

We had quite a laugh when it turned out the panellist in Washington DC had gone off air for a 'comfort stop' - no-one was sure if that announcement had gone out live to the world or not - now we know !

Looking forward to seeing you in a couple of weeks time ...
Charles
shanedwyer
Level5
Level5

Post by shanedwyer »

Yes, you’ve a good voice for radio Charles- you came over very well. A paragon of ease and authority. I was interviewed by Radio 4 once (in a very minor vox pop kind of way I hasten to add) and I sounded like a 14 year old schoolboy.

And once again, many thanks to Darren for supplying the weblink -his trademark internet sleuthing is a thing of wonder. I daresay Interpol punts him a bit of work now and again.
ericmocata
Level5
Level5

Post by ericmocata »

Well, were you a 14-year-old schoolboy then, Shane? Actually, I know how you feel. Anytime I hear my voice played back, it sounds so weird to me and not particularly low. I don't expect to sound like Christopher Lee or anything like that, but it always sounds to me like my voice sped up a bit, raising the pitch. Sometimes when I am recording and I make a mistake or even get through a song mistake-free (well, mostly mistake-free, anyway) I'll say something, which gets picked up on the microphone. Then when we play it back, there I am with my elfin voice.

Also, thanks to Darren for pointing the interview out. I listened to it earlier and thought it went well, though it was rather brief. Good job Charles, especially for being at the microphone and not the restroom. That was rather amusing. You'd think they could at least make some good excuse, "I'm sorry, he had to take an important business call really quickly, he'll be right back."
shanedwyer
Level5
Level5

Post by shanedwyer »

Jaja Eric, no, I was a 40-something bloke at the time. Stage fright perhaps. Mind you, my recorded voice sounds all over the place: I've had sniggering friends play back messages I've left on their mobiles after a beer or two- and I either sound like Ray Winstone or an especially catarrhal Linda Blair.
Darren
Level5
Level5

Post by Darren »

Hi folks,

There is further DW promotion on the SFX magazine website. It is a competition to win three of the new paperbacks just published - but it ends tomorrow (18th October).

http://www.sfx.co.uk/2013/10/11/competi ... ley-books/
Regards,

Darren.
Jim
Level5
Level5

Post by Jim »

Darren wrote: There is further DW promotion on the SFX magazine website. It is a competition to win three of the new paperbacks just published - but it ends tomorrow (18th October).
I entered! I'm delighted to see a real attempt to get these books before the public again. Hopefully they will find a new audience, and we will be welcoming more friends to this site...
Charles
Level5
Level5

Post by Charles »

Dear All,

Just to alert you, there may be an article on a DW theme in this weekend's Mail on Sunday.

Best wishes as always !
Charles
Darren
Level5
Level5

Post by Darren »

Thanks Charles. The idea to release the books on the run up to Halloween was clearly a good idea.

The original Daily Express article is now finally online:

http://www.express.co.uk/entertainment/ ... s-Wheatley

I'm looking forward to getting the Mail On Sunday tomorrow.
Regards,

Darren.
Jim
Level5
Level5

Post by Jim »

Darren wrote: The original Daily Express article is now finally online. I'm looking forward to getting the Mail On Sunday tomorrow.
Thank for posting this link--I enjoyed the article, even if it does imply that TDRO was DW's second book, and I loved the photo of him doing the outdoor signing! (I wish I could see more clearly which books are on the table. I only recognize The Scarlet Impostor...)

I think the piece is very smart to place Wheatley so securely in his historical period. His personal and political attitudes are what they are, and they drive the stories, and you'll never get rid of them unless you're willing to gut the books completely. Readers who can't cope with that are probably not going to enjoy reading DW.
Darren
Level5
Level5

Post by Darren »

The Mail on Sunday article is already available online:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... paign=1490

The main thrust of the story features the great "Wheatley enthusiast Charles Beck" discussing the political motivations of commissioning DW to write Of Vice and Virtue. Intriguing - it could almost be a plot for a DW novel.
Regards,

Darren.
Charles
Level5
Level5

Post by Charles »

Ooops - a bit more about me than I initially intended ... and the bit about MI6 will not delight intelligence purists !

Never mind - at least the name of DW is in front of the public once again, and everyone can now see what the Arabic edition of 'Of Vice and Virtue' looks like ... the Arabic title is incidentally "A'I'SHA" ... and you can imagine my delight when I came across that particular item earlier this year. Probably no-one else had seen it since DW's death.

As always Darren, I must congratulate you on your ability to find links on the Internet !

Best wishes as always !
Charles
Steve Whatley
Level5
Level5

Post by Steve Whatley »

How wonderful to see at last an image of 'Of Vice And Virtue' in its published form.[font=Times New Roman] [/font]

Return to “General Topics”