Bloomsbury to re-publish Dennis Wheatley

The place to post anything DW-related
Jim
Level5
Level5

Post by Jim »

Whatever they issue, it will be better than getting The Big Five over and over again...
ericmocata
Level5
Level5

Post by ericmocata »

Yes, why nobody ever reprints titles like Sixty Days to Live is beyond me. Took me a really long time to get a copy of that one. Although, despite the fact that Devil Rides Out has been reprinted multiple times in the last several years, I still don't generally run into Wheatley's works in my area. I had to order that Classic Black Magic collection online. I figured I would find the Wordsworth editions in town, since I find those editions of numerous other titles, but didn't find the Wheatley titles. Seems to be some sort of conspiracy. . . .
Jim
Level5
Level5

Post by Jim »

ericmocata wrote: I figured I would find the Wordsworth editions in town, since I find those editions of numerous other titles, but didn't find the Wheatley titles. Seems to be some sort of conspiracy. . . .
Here in New York City, the only place I saw the Wordsworth DW titles was in the Strand bookstore, and they got a very limited number of copies. Once those were gone, they seem not to have been replaced.
ericmocata
Level5
Level5

Post by ericmocata »

I can't help thinking that the internet is part of the problem. It seems as online shopping becomes more common, physical stores stock less stuff, which seems counter-intuitive to me. Stores I used to go to for anything that had just come out now seem to take a month or two to get anything new, if they get these things at all. Instead, I find myself needing to order things online, which is a pain.
Darren
Level5
Level5

Dennis Wheatley now available on kindle

Post by Darren »

Hi folks,

I've notice that 3 DW books are now available to buy on kindle. 2 in French (La Découverte de l'Atlantide and Territoire Interdit) and 1 in Spanish (La Carrera de Roger Brook).

It's interesting that the first available DW books on kindle are not in English. I'm slightly disappointed as I wanted to be one of the first to read a DW book on kindle but it's great that there might be a market for his work in these languages in 2013.

I'm looking forward to the English versions. I love books and reluctantly bought a kindle paperwhite as some of my favourite authors release extra stories between their main publications only as ebooks (Stephen King and Lee Child do this). I found that the kindle is such a reader friendly experience that my reading has increased significantly since acquiring it. The paperwhite version is so light and easy to hold and you can vary the brightness, text size or font within a second. And you can read it in complete darkness or bright sunlight.

10th October (if they haven't changed the date) - I haven't decided which book to start with.

Adiós amigos. (My Spanish isn't great but it's better than my French - ok and my English before anyone comments.)
Regards,

Darren.
ericmocata
Level5
Level5

Post by ericmocata »

I have seen a few titles showing up on Amazon, with release dates around September, if I remember correctly. I think they are just regular paperbacks, but there might have been Kindle editions too. I know The Devil Rides Out was one of them...shocking, I know. The cover art looked simple, but looked pretty decent from what I remember. I also don't remember if they turned up on the UK site or the American site. It could have been both, most likely it is, since you can usually find import stuff on Amazon.
Jim
Level5
Level5

Post by Jim »

I just checked the U.S. Amazon site, and saw wonderful things! Half a dozen Dennis Wheatley novels in fresh new Kindle editions! Black August marked "Gregory Sallust no. 10"; The Prisoner in the Mask "Duke De Richleau no. 1". (This looks like they are serious about giving us entire sequences.) Numerous titles are also for sale in French and Spanish. The only physical book I see is the ever-popular The Devil Rides Out, but there's hope for more...
Charles
Level5
Level5

Post by Charles »

Just back from holiday !

I don't want to jinx things, but we should - all being well - be seeing a lot more titles coming out in the Autumn as Bloomsbury start to do their stuff ...

Best as always !
Charles
Jim
Level5
Level5

Post by Jim »

Interesting to see (on their website) that the color choices for the Bloomsbury covers match those of the Arrow paperbacks from the 1970s: blue for Roger Brook, green for De Richleau, and red for Gregory Sallust. The artwork is rather generic, but not badly done. All the major series are there, the black magic novels (of course), and the two short story collections--though there's no indication which editions are used. I will have to buy TDRO and The Forbidden Territory, just to support the effort!
ericmocata
Level5
Level5

Post by ericmocata »

I will probably get a few of them as well. Especially if it is a book that I have not yet gotten for one reason or another. Of course, that won't stop me from trying to track down a physical copy.

It's a bit funny to think of Wheatley e-books. Can you imagine somebody going back in time and trying to explain a Kindle to Wheatley himself back in the '30s or '40s? He'd have thought you were daft. Although, now I am getting a picture of Wheatley with his own Kindle, but of course, it has to have his personalized book plate on it.

Speaking of which, if anybody has a few grand to blow, I saw a book from Wheatley's own collection on ebay. It was a book I have never heard of, but it was inscribed to Wheatley by the author and still has the bookplate in it. It's called Contango by James Hilton. I would assume this to be genuine, mostly because of the nameplate and besides, who would fake that in this day and age? Unless it is some really old forgery, which seems rather weird as well.
Cibator
Level4
Level4

Post by Cibator »

Jim wrote:Interesting to see (on their website) that the color choices for the Bloomsbury covers match those of the Arrow paperbacks from the 1970s: blue for Roger Brook, green for De Richleau, and red for Gregory Sallust.
Wonder why they went with that, instead of the one for the Lymingtons? The latter, IIRC, were: red (again) for Gregory Sallust; blue for De Richleau; yellow for Roger Brook; green for the rest - except that anything with a black magic or occult theme, whether in a series or not, was always black (natch!).
Fas est et ab hoste doceri
Jim
Level5
Level5

Post by Jim »

ericmocata wrote: Speaking of which, if anybody has a few grand to blow, I saw a book from Wheatley's own collection on ebay. It was a book I have never heard of, but it was inscribed to Wheatley by the author and still has the bookplate in it. It's called Contango by James Hilton. I would assume this to be genuine, mostly because of the nameplate and besides, who would fake that in this day and age? Unless it is some really old forgery, which seems rather weird as well.
At the 1979 Blackwell's sale of DW's library, that book went for a mere £18... :(
Darren
Level5
Level5

Post by Darren »

Just over 2 days before they are out on kindle.

I wonder if they will be available from midnight.

I haven't decided which one to start with - though I'm thinking of spoiling myself with TDRO and then go for a novel I haven't read yet. :smt023
Regards,

Darren.
Darren
Level5
Level5

Post by Darren »

It's like magic. I went to bed last night with a kindle devoid of Dennis Wheatley by my side and when I woke up this morning it had DW books all ready and waiting. I'm look forward to getting to know Roger Brook when those books become available.
Regards,

Darren.
ericmocata
Level5
Level5

Post by ericmocata »

I haven't gotten any of the new ebooks yet, but I certainly plan to, especially the ones I don't have at all yet, though I will eventually get physical copies of them as well. As anybody read much of any of them yet? I am curious at to how they turned out, if there are numerous errors in the text or even changes made to suit the sometimes overly-sensitive (in my opinion) public of today.

Return to “General Topics”