Clinton House

The place to post anything DW-related
Charles
Level5
Level5

Post by Charles »

I drove past Clinton today. It looks awful with the windows open / smashed (presumably deliberately) to let the elements in and eat away the fabric from inside.

The major architectural features are still there, but not for long I expect, as they are deliberately letting the house become a death-trap, which will force everyone to agree to pull it down.

A sad end for one of the few surviving DW homes ...
Charles
Jim
Level5
Level5

Post by Jim »

That's one strategy for getting rid of it...
Jim
Level5
Level5

Post by Jim »

I got (two copies of) the latest notice from Lambeth council today. There's a May 6 deadline for comments, so I assume it won't be long afterwards that they make a decision on this new plan--to tear down the current building at 1 Palace Road, and replace it with a multi-storey healthcare centre with apartments above. :cry:
Steve Whatley
Level5
Level5

Post by Steve Whatley »

I too have a copy of this notice, and the way I read it, this new application is merely for a variation of permission (to demolish the existing dwelling and redevelop the site) already granted on 14 March 2013.

So Clinton House may already be no more than a pile of rubble...[font=Courier New] [/font]
Charles
Level5
Level5

Post by Charles »

I've been getting confused by the council notices, so I gave the Planning Officer a call - a very helpful chap.

There are two separate permissions.

The first is to demolish Clinton with no replacement development, and that was granted some time ago.

The second was to demolish Clinton and replace it with a new development including a health centre, residential etc. That was also granted, but with several conditions, which are being worked through. The developers are seeking to amend some of these (in particular, the health centre requires less room), and it is anticipated the council will agree to these variations - there has been no effective opposition.

Clinton House therefore, regrettably, looks doomed.

Kind regards to all,
Charles
shanedwyer
Level5
Level5

Post by shanedwyer »

The second option sounds the better one. I'm sure the RIBA would laugh fit to burst at the thought, but surely even the greenest of architects could come up with a design for a health centre that made use of (at least some of) the original brick facade?
ericmocata
Level5
Level5

Post by ericmocata »

If they keep this stuff up, some day Charles could host "tours of the walls that used to be Dennis Wheatley homes". However, I would doubt they would keep any of the original brick, probably just tear it all down. I realize that stuff starts to fall apart as it gets old, but I still wish more of these old structures could stay intact. Maybe it is just too costly to keep them in good repair.
Charles
Level5
Level5

Post by Charles »

I'd be delighted to - there are a few left !

To do the job properly though, we would need Steve Patton with us - to charm his (and our) way into the interiors !
Charles
ericmocata
Level5
Level5

Post by ericmocata »

On a more serious note, I wonder if it would be possible for anybody to collect a few bricks from his old homes as they are torn down. That way, somebody could display them all together, with a card by each to state which place it came from. That would something interesting for the conventions, not that I will likely ever manage to go to one.

At least that serpentine wall still stands, or did they finally tear that down as well?
Charles
Level5
Level5

Post by Charles »

Still standing !
Charles
Stevie P
Level5
Level5

Post by Stevie P »

I saw my name mentioned on the web site re. accessing properties that don't belong to me. Just point me in the right direction. I enjoy a challenge.

I'm currently in the middle of The Ka of Gifford Hillary....he has no problems accessing anywhere...he just floats in and floats out.
Oh, that it was so easy.

Regards to all.

Stevie P.
Charles
Level5
Level5

Post by Charles »

Clinton destroyed

Dear All,

Some rather sad news ... arsonists burnt down Clinton on Tuesday.

For details see

http://www.brixtonblog.com/palace-road- ... tley/12615

Can't say how sorry I am.

Best regards to all,
Charles
Cibator
Level4
Level4

Post by Cibator »

So ..... who paid for it to be done? No real point in asking, though: the go-between who actually made the arrangements will be far away by this time.
Fas est et ab hoste doceri
ericmocata
Level5
Level5

Post by ericmocata »

I suppose the building was doomed, one way or another, but this is a rather undignified end for such a place. Still, those pictures of it with random lawn furniture strewn about and looking long-forgotten were a bit depressing. However, the newer pictures of it as a burnt-out shell are worse.
Charles
Level5
Level5

Post by Charles »

I went and had a look today .... professional demolishers have finished what the arsonists began.

The burnt out shell of Clinton has completely disappeared and the plot of land where it once stood is empty awaiting re-development.

A shame.

Best wishes !
Charles

Return to “General Topics”