2013 Convention

The place to post anything DW-related
Charles
Level5
Level5

2013 Convention

Post by Charles »

One of the things we discussed at the 2012 Convention (Report to follow in due course) was what form - and where - our 6th Convention should take place.

I've just set this thread up so we can share ideas ...

Best as always !
Charles
ken68
Level5
Level5

Post by ken68 »

hello all,
first of all a few apologies, sorry steve w and john rodger for not replying to your emails but i deleted a folder by mistake. so i haven't been ignoring you but both but i lost your emails!!

anyway the convention. well i would like say to that mary and i thoroughly enjoyed ourselves as always and would like to thank everyone who put all the hard work into us having such a great time.

for future conventions then the corus is ideal for us. here is my reasoning on why.
mary and i have a choice of transport methods so easy to get to.
the food is good and the rooms are clean and well equipped. i know that the prices of the food seems to have gone up but then food in general has gone up.
we as a group are now known there and can maybe expect more leeway with our quirkier demands than if we went somewhere new.
also i think we should take into consideration that it is a small hotel so will not attract large conventions or wedding parties and our group will not be overrun on a busy weekend.
if some of the rumours about the new owners intentions are true, spa, pool and other leisure facilities it will drive up the price but it may also make it more cost effective for others. maybe ann, and or, christine would consider attending?
the changes made to the hotel this year where a surprise and i can honestly say i don't think its an improvement but it has certainly not went back the way. in my opinion its just nice in a different way.

for the actual tone and structure of the convention itself i would like to see a looser more inclusive convention. i appreciate all the hard work put in by everyone that contributes but it must be very difficult for them to bring a new topic every year. also for people like myself who's contribution is a bit more nebulous there is a feeling that we don't contribute enough.
my suggestions would be
a morning session of pre-planned talks where anyone who has a topic they feel will be of interest.
in the afternoon a group discussion on any subject or update to any on going project. this would also give us a chance to go ask questions to the morning speakers. some items in the past that i wish we had more time to explore were niks astrals, jeans dw ancestry and the various talks on the inspiration for cardinals folly and stillwaters.
after dinner if we decide we should take a break from the movies what about a game? i know i throughly enjoyed stevie ps guess the book, or what about charades with only dw titles?

or
in the afternoon what i about a trip to london? i would love to see the cabinet rooms and clinton house as well as explore some of the scenes for the books. we could even split up into groups depending on who wants to see what and who has already seen what.

so just to say that these are my thoughts and opinions and i hope they don't upset or offend anyone. we are very happy with things as they are on the whole but can see why a change is being mooted.

the best thing i can possibly say is that i consider you all to be our friends and if for whatever reason we meet up and the dw element was missing (sorry charles) then we would still have a great time.

ken
Steve Whatley
Level5
Level5

Post by Steve Whatley »

I can't see how your thoughts could upset or offend anyone Ken. I would echo your last line and say that I feel we're all friends and that we would have fun wherever we got together.

I hate what they've done to the hotel, but somehow, after five years, it still feels like home.

I agree that more time for discussions is desirable - I never remember to raise half of the things that I mean to ask Charles. However, I do like listening to semi-formal presentations, and I think that they are a good means of focusing on a particular aspect of DW's life. I feel I should apologise that my own talks this year were somewhat ill-prepared and rather unprofessionally presented.

As John Runter doesn't have access to the Library, I would like to pass on a comment he made in a recent letter to me: 'I think the programme went well - just the right mix.'

I've considered excursions myself in the past, but whilst I could show people one or two (perhaps unexciting) locations locally in an afternoon, I really feel that a trip into London would need a whole day. That's not to say that it couldn't be an option to consider.

I enjoyed 'Guess the Book', though I imagine it was not much fun for those who don't have an extensive knowledge of the books.

Charades with only DW titles has the potential to be more inclusive.

Anyway, those are just a few of my thoughts to be going on with.[font=Courier New] [/font]
Charles
Level5
Level5

Post by Charles »

Personally I think these are all great ideas, and it's wonderful everyone is pitching in - this is things as they should be.

Ken - I won't take the least offence about your comments re the DW element ... again it shows that between us all, we have a good recipe !

Just one point - when I went to book the Corus (as was) a month or so after the 2011 Convention, they were already filling up with bookings, and while we were there in November, one of the staff was showing a wedding party round the 'Dennis Wheatley Lounge'. I think they're really pushing the wedding thing (that might account for the 'whitewash'), so if we're going to go back to the Edgwarebury next year, I think we ought to be fixing a date and reserving sooner rather than later.

Best to all as always !
Charles
ken68
Level5
Level5

Post by ken68 »

We always keep mid october to mid november free for the convention so count us in.

Ken
Stevie P
Level5
Level5

Post by Stevie P »

Hi All,

I would also agree that we should be based at Elstree. At least until we come up with a better alternative.

I did like the idea of ken's visit to london....................... in the afternoon what i about a trip to london? i would love to see the cabinet rooms and clinton house as well as explore some of the scenes for the books.
If the plan in future is to combine the summer trip and Elstree convention together I would be happy to stay overnight to do this. Perhaps the others would as well?

Just a thought.

Stevie P
Charles
Level5
Level5

Post by Charles »

Dear All,

Just to confirm the date of the next Convention is Saturday 2nd November 2013.

The hotel and I are assuming same attendees / same days / same rooms until and unless anyone indicates to the contrary.

New attendees are of course thoroughly welcome to attend - just contact me.

Let's also keep the dialogue on what we do going - as I've said elsewhere, our experience is that while it may seem a long time away now, the months go by very fast !

Best wishes as always !
Charles
duncanpaul17
Level4
Level4

Post by duncanpaul17 »

Dear all

Trying to think of something different for the convention, would any of you be interested in having a group reading of one of the crime dossiers
to see if we can solve the mystery ?

Charles has also reminded me that sometime ago someone also suggested the idea of playing one of DW's games.

If interested we could possibly do either of these in the afternoon session or after dinner if we cannot come up with a different film to watch.

Best to you all as always

Duncan
ken68
Level5
Level5

Post by ken68 »

i like the dossiers idea for after dinner.
would the trips to clinton house and the cabinet rooms be feasible? my knowledge of traveling in london is limited.

ken
shanedwyer
Level5
Level5

Post by shanedwyer »

If this is any help:

A taxi from the Edgwarebury Hotel to Elstree Station; a train to West Hampstead; the tube to Westminster; and a quick walk to the Cabinet War Rooms would take just over an hour. From there on to Clinton House would be a further hour.

The hotel straight to Clinton House, via Tulse Hill, would be a journey of roughly an hour and a half.
Jim
Level5
Level5

Post by Jim »

ken68 wrote: would the trips to clinton house and the cabinet rooms be feasible?
I have been to the Cabinet War Rooms, and found the display quite fascinating. If, as Shane says, it's only an hour away from the hotel, it would be well worth doing.

As to Clinton House, if the visit is not made this coming year, it will probably be too late. In fact, I would not bet on the house still being there next November. (Since the bid for listed status failed, there's nothing to prevent it being razed for development.) Paul Talling's 'Derelict London' website has a heartbreaking slide show--about halfway down the page--of what must once have been a lovely home:
http://www.derelictlondon.com/houses.html

There's no shortage of places to have lunch in London, and perhaps one could be found with a DW connection, so the three sites in tandem could make up a very practical day's outing...
Charles
Level5
Level5

Post by Charles »

If you're looking for a place to have lunch with a DW connection, there's one place that springs immediately to mind - Rules in Maiden Lane, where DW and his wartime colleagues used to have heavy lunches - see 'The Deception Planners' pp 27-30.

Some might find it a bit pricey (see http://www.rules.co.uk/) but it's very traditional, very English, and - unless it's changed in the last couple of years - very DW.

This is making me hungry !

All best to all !
Charles
Charles
Level5
Level5

Post by Charles »

Any thoughts from anyone on Rules ?

It's a bit pricey, but it certainly has the authentic DW connection ...

I ask because if we wanted it, and if we wanted a private room, experience with booking the hotel suggests it's always worth booking things in plenty of time to avoid disappointment !

All best to all !
Charles
Jim
Level5
Level5

Post by Jim »

Charles wrote: If you're looking for a place to have lunch with a DW connection, there's one that springs immediately to mind - Rules in Maiden Lane, where DW and his wartime colleagues used to have heavy lunches - see 'The Deception Planners' pp 27-30. Some might find it a bit pricey (see http://www.rules.co.uk) but it's very traditional, very English, and - unless it's changed in the last couple of years - very DW.
There can't be many places in London (or anywhere else, for that matter) that still look pretty much as they did 70 years ago. And they still serve the smoked salmon, potted shrimps, and Dover sole DW used to order!
Charles
Level5
Level5

Post by Charles »

Darren wrote:Clearly DW related podcasts are few - I am struggling to find any further ones of quality. However, this thread does suggest an opportunity. Every year enthusiastic DW experts come together to spend a weekend sharing their DW pleasures. Is there scope at the convention for an hour discussion on DW that could be recorded and uploaded onto this website as a podcast?

It would give members unable to attend a further flavour of the annual convention experience, and the podcast itself could promote DW to a wider audience. As well as capturing for posterity more of the insights and knowledge of this site's legendary contributors. And it would be easy to set up. A discussion title, someone to act as Chair - the wine will do the rest.

I think I've put this on the wrong topic - the DW Convention 2013 posts would be more appropriate.

Cheers All.
I think that's a really excellent idea - thank you, Darren !

Further ideas for the contents of the next Convention definitely encouraged ... particularly everyone's thoughts on whether we go down to the War Rooms for part of the day (I'm in favour) and on where we should eat if we do, would be appreciated.

We talked last time about the merits of a wider participation in setting the Agenda, so let's put our words into practice !

Very best wishes to all as always !
Charles

Return to “General Topics”