Secret War Cover Art

The place to post anything DW-related
ericmocata
Level5
Level5

Secret War Cover Art

Post by ericmocata »

This is entirely pointless, but I am just curious if anybody else thinks that the guy on the cover of Arrow's 1980 paperback edition of the Secret War looks a whole lot like Mel Brooks. Every time I look at it, that's all I see: Mel Brooks getting attacked by rats. I am sure he'd come up with a really funny scene dealing with that, too.
Steve Whatley
Level5
Level5

Post by Steve Whatley »

I knew it reminded me of someone! I couldn't think who it was, but you've hit the nail on the head. The beardy guy on the cover of the first edition of this title reminds me of somebody too; any ideas?[font=Courier New] [/font]
ericmocata
Level5
Level5

Post by ericmocata »

I don't know about the first edition, but I suppose he looks a bit like John Carradine in his later years. The Mel Brooks cover has just always amused me. I wonder if it was intentional or not.
Steve Whatley
Level5
Level5

Post by Steve Whatley »

By Jove! I think you've done it again. Stick a beard and a strange wig on John Carradine, and that could be him.

I can see no earthly reason why the likeness to Mel Brooks should be deliberate.

You're also right in saying that this is entirely pointless; good fun though.[font=Courier New] [/font]
Garry Holmes
Level5
Level5

Post by Garry Holmes »

I've see a number of 70s/80s book cover illustrations that were obviously nicked from elesewhere. There is a John Creasey cover I once saw with a young heroine cowering from danger. The woman in question was obviously the late Elisabeth Sladen in her first episode of DOCTOR WHO, and I can even place the publicity photo that was used! A professional artist once told me that he had huge files of photographs snipped from movie magazines and newspapers. He said it saved time and money to use pics of people that someone else had already posed. Viewed out of context the public often didn't realise that they already knew the person on the cover. There's a good chance that the man really is Mel Brooks.

Return to “General Topics”