The Devil Rides Out – the musical!

The place to post anything DW-related
Bob Rothwell
Webmaster
Webmaster

The Devil Rides Out – the musical!

Post by Bob Rothwell »

Discovered the musical quite by accident a few weeks ago, made further enquiries and eventually made contact with the writer concerned. As you will see from the new web page devoted to this, the musical version of 'The Devil Rides Out' was produced in the early 90s, but in spite of excellent reviews failed to make it much beyond its local productions. The writer, Colin McCourt, has now had a CD made of the music from the production and is hoping to attract some financial attention in the hope of getting it back to the stage.

Have a look at the new page, listen to some of the sample tracks from the CD and make your own judgement! If you like what you see, show your appreciation by following the link from the web-page and buy a CD from him. If nothing else, a unique piece of DW ephemera.

Views, please!
K R Cope

Post by K R Cope »

I've tried the link to buy the CD (thedevilridesoutmusical.com), several times in the past few days, but it shows as a dead link.
Any suggestions, please?
Bob Rothwell
Webmaster
Webmaster

Post by Bob Rothwell »

Welcome K R Cope and thanks for pointing this out. I'm attempting to contact Colin McCourt to see what the problem is and will let you know as soon as I do.

Bob
Bob Rothwell
Webmaster
Webmaster

Post by Bob Rothwell »

Contacted Colin and regretably he has lost his web space. I have now offered to host his pages within my web space, so hopefully he will be back on-line soon.

In the meantime, if anyone wants to buy his CD, please contact me via a Private Message.

Bob
Charles
Level5
Level5

Post by Charles »

Dear All,

I know I've made posts about Colin McCourt's musical more recently than Bob's last one, but I can't immediately find them.

This is just to let you know that Colin has advised me there is going to be a production at the Little Theatre, Grange Road West, Birkenhead, Wirral on the 23, 24 and 25th February 2012 at 7:30 pm.

It's a small production but here's hoping that it will move on to greater things !

I will try to get up there if I can, and if anyone else can support Colin it would be great!

There are further details and a video from the show on the Musical's website, http://www.thedevilridesoutmusical.com/

All best as always !
Charles
Charles
Level5
Level5

Post by Charles »

Apparently there have been ghostly goings-on at Colin's musical ...

To read more, click on the following link :-

http://www.wirralnews.co.uk/wirral-news ... -30422170/
Charles
Steve Whatley
Level5
Level5

Post by Steve Whatley »

Dear Charles,

A curious piece, but it would be more interesting with the photo.

Did you manage to get to Birkenhead last month to see a performance?

All Best, Steve[font=Courier New] [/font]
Charles
Level5
Level5

Post by Charles »

Unfortunately not - I missed out on both the performance and the ghost !

All best !
Charles
Darren
Level5
Level5

Seeing The Devil Rides Out Musical

Post by Darren »

I went to see Colin McCourt's musical of The Devil Rides Out 21 years ago in June 1991 and what a bizarre evening it was.

I was living and working in London at the time (I was - and still am - a Yorkshire lad) and I saw a simple one line advert at the back of Time Out magazine that read THE DEVIL RIDES OUT AT THE ROSE THEATRE CLUB with time, date and location details.

I had no idea what it was going to be but being a Dennis Wheatley fan I was curious about the title and rang a pal and persuaded him to come with me. The Rose Theatre Club ended up being this old pub on Fulham Road and we went in and sat down with a pint of bitter and there was no sign of any theatre, actors - just an old pub with regular drinkers in.

As the time reached the published start time there was still no sign of anything relating to the event. I approached the bar staff and asked if anything was going off tonight (I don't know why but I was embarassed about mentioning the Devil Rides Out) and the lady behind the bar replied "no".

As I shrugged and turned away she then asked "you're not one of them are you?".

I replied "I don't know - I might be." She told us to wait a few minutes and someone will come and and collect us. Our curiosity was even more aroused by this.

A few minutes later this woman dressed in period costume appeared and asked if anyone was here for the Devil Rides Out and we approached her. We paid £5 each and then me and my mate followed her through the back, up some stairs and into a back room where some chairs were organised in lines. We were given a program (which I still have) and we sat down - we were the only 2 people in the room.

In front of the chairs was a space that was the stage and we sat through the whole performance as about 7 or 8 actors performed it all just to the 2 of us. I think the music was recorded but the singing was live. There was a light show, full costume and amplification and it was almost all music all night (as you would expect from a musical).
The actors performed as though they were in a major theatre in front of a packed house. At the end of every song, me and Gary clapped. As we relaxed we enjoyed the show. It was great. the songs were great and the actors put a lot of effort into their performance.

I wonder if they would have bothered if we hadn't turned up.

Towards the end of the show we were joined by a third person in the room - at the end when the lights came on I recognized him as the actor Dudley Sutton (who played the character Tinker Dill in the Lovejoy series on at the time). He knew some of the actors as he spoke to them afterwards as me and Gary slipped quiestly away.

After seeing this thread on the forum I went up in the loft and found the programme. The show ran for from Tuesday, 18th June to Sunday 7th July 1991.

The musical was directed by David Cian for the Commerce Theatre Co and the actors are listed as Roger James (Rex Van Ryn), William Davies (Richard Eaton), Jay Benton (Marie Lou Eaton), David Cian (Duke de Richleau), Alan Donnelly (Mocata), Matt Dean (Simon Aron), Elaine Hale(Tanith), Emma Davies (Fleur) and Sarah Christy (Narrator).
Regards,

Darren.
Charles
Level5
Level5

Post by Charles »

Dear Darren,

What a super story... I'm so glad you clapped throughout to keep them going !

Thanks for sharing it with us - a wonderful story !

PS I'm glad that since then the audiences have grown !!!
Charles
Charles
Level5
Level5

Post by Charles »

Dear All,

I'm delighted to advise that Colin McCourt's musical version of 'The Devil Rides Out' is to have another showing.

It's to be shown on the night of Monday 29th April 2013 at 7.30 p.m. at The Blue Lounge, Floral Pavilion, New Brighton.

Tickets £8 from the Box Office, Tel 666-0000 (I can hardly believe that number !) or http://www.floralpavilion.com/

We've played some of the music at the start of our Conventions.

If you can get there, highly recommended !

Best as always !
Charles

Return to “General Topics”