DW Events for 2011

The place to post anything DW-related
Charles
Level5
Level5

DW Events for 2011

Post by Charles »

Dear All,

Remembering that the Edgewarebury Hotel in Elstree got booked up quite fast last year, and while I have no idea what we might put on the Programme, I thought it might be worth trying to get a date fixed in all our diaries.

Late October seemed to work for everyone last time, so how about Saturday 29th October as a sighting-shot ?

Just for info, around that time Nat and I could also do 8th October and 15th October, although looking at my son's school calendar, a little less easily. Obviously though if none of these work well for everyone else, I'll suggest other dates (please feel free to do so yourselves) - these are just for 'starters'.

Also, Ken Cope suggested when we were all sitting round the table at the last Convention that we might add on a "field trip" in late Spring / early Summer and spend a day exploring Lymington together.

I've checked with Ken, and he and I could both manage Saturday 9th July. How would that be for anyone else who would like to join in ?

No specific suggestions of hotels for Lymington yet, so if anyone has stayed there recently and knows somewhere nice, or would like to suggest a price range, again, all thoughts appreciated.

Let me know what you think on both counts ...

Best as always !

Charles

PS I've just had an email from Jim in New York. He says it's COLD over there !
Charles
Nick
Level5
Level5

Post by Nick »

I am up for it as ever! I was very sad to miss last years convention but Mally had a severe illness. She is fine now.
I have loads of ideas and no doubt Charles and I will talk them through. I think the sooner we book the hotel the better. I know Lymington fairly well, and there are limited places to stay. I was working down there and had to hire a holiday flat for two days to get a roof over my head. The pub The Hobler' is an option, depending on how many there are.
Charles
Level5
Level5

Post by Charles »

Excellent news Nick - may we rely on you to do some readings along the lines we had in mind last year ? It's always great to put that fine reading voice of yours to good use !

I'll look forward to our usual to-and-fro of ideas to make it yet another successful Convention.

Thanks also for the heads-up about shortage of space in Lymington.

As soon as we have everyone's feedback, it'll be great to make a booking ...

All best to everyone ...
Charles
duncanpaul17
Level4
Level4

Post by duncanpaul17 »

Charles,

Both of the dates you have suggested for the two events look ok for me.

Nick,

Be good to see you again, very pleased to hear Mally has recovered

Duncan
Stevie P
Level5
Level5

Post by Stevie P »

Charles,

All the dates mentioned are fine with me.

I'm looking forward to Nicks 'Astral' talk at the next convention.

Best wishes to all

Stevie P.
ken68
Level5
Level5

Post by ken68 »

Sorry to say that the 9th is very difficult for us but the week after would be ideal. We really would hate to miss it and will try our best if that I'd the final date.
The 29/30th of October is no problem though.

Ken and Mary
Steve Whatley
Level5
Level5

Post by Steve Whatley »

Jean and I don't seem to have anything in our diaries for those dates (or indeed, any other dates!) at present.

The July date is well placed; just after Wimbledon, and presumably just before the school holidays begin.

What a great response there's been already! I'm looking forward to having two DW events this year.

Best Wishes to all, Steve W.[font=Courier New] [/font]
Charles
Level5
Level5

Post by Charles »

I agree - fantastic response !

I know Ken C and Vivien can do both dates, and so provisionally can Iwan (possibly with Margareta), so we've only got a few responses to go.

Re the July date, I believe I could do the week after (i.e. the 16th) as well as the 9th, although I'm not 100% sure.

If you could all let me know how you're placed for the second date, it would be most helpful.

I take Nick's point that with Lymington especially, we would be wise to book as soon as we are able, especially as we look to be around a dozen people.

Nick - from your local knowledge would that rule out 'The Hobler' ? And would you (and /or anyone else - I think one of the truly great things is how our Conventions are such a wonderful collaborative effort) have time to join me in compiling a list of possibles, so we can check prices and availabilities for the overnight stay, and start the selection process ?

It's nice to look ahead to some sunshine after this dreary weather !

All best !
Charles
duncanpaul17
Level4
Level4

Post by duncanpaul17 »

Charles

Should be able to make either the 9th or 16th July.

Duncan
Charles
Level5
Level5

Post by Charles »

Dear All,

Lymington field trip

I've had various suggestions on inns / hotels - some inside the town and some outside. I'm going to ring round them tomorrow and see which ones have rooms for the (15th &) 16th July, and at what prices. I haven't heard from anyone yet that they can't make the 16th, and I'm assuming some would want to stay the Friday night too. If anyone wants any other variants, it would be helpful to know a.s.a.p.

The main Convention

Everyone seems fine for the 29th October, although I haven't heard from last year's new arrivals. I hope we didn't put them off ( :D ) !

Unless anyone shouts to the contrary, I'll contact the Edgewarebury Hotel to hopefully make the booking.

I'm most grateful for the prompt feedback - both in the Library and via Hotmail. It's been enormously helpful !

Best as always !
Charles
Charles
Level5
Level5

Post by Charles »

Dear All,

I've just made a few calls ...

The main Convention

I've put in our reservation for the 29th October with the Edgewarebury Hotel, who are looking forward to seeing us again. I haven't got a precise quote, but the cost may be slightly up (last year as you will recall was held at the previous year's price) due to the VAT increase, but not substantially so.

For the moment, I'll assume everyone wants the same booking (room the night before, day only etc) unless they contact me. Those I haven't heard from, if you could get in contact with me, it would be most helpful !

Lymington Field Trip

I'm working to Saturday 16th July, with some people likely to want the 15th as well for a 2 night stay.

I've had some people say they'd like to stay in the town itself, and others suggest we stay a bit outside.

As I understand it, room availability is currently as follows:

In town :

The Hobler - tell me they no longer do accomodation

The Angel Inn - on the High Street, 13th century and it figures in the Roger Brook novels. Currently being renovated and not accepting telephone reservations - they told me they couldn't tell me what the booking situation is. The reservations desk will apparently re-open on Monday 7th February. They have (or had) 12 rooms. Looking at Marston's online booking form, the price for a double room is - at least in theory - £73 per night.

Just outside :

The (Swallow) South Lawn Hotel - about 5 minutes outside Lymington. Where Bob and I stayed with our wives in 2006. A bit faded but o.k., and in nice grounds. They have a wedding on the 16th so would only accept 2 night bookings for 15th & 16th combined. Cost for a double room £130 per night, or £160 a night with dinner (a £10 discount on their dinner rate).
They reckon the rooms will probably still be available for a week or so - but obviously there are no guarantees.

Further outside :

One of our number speaks highly of Premier Inns and Holiday Inns.

Premier Inns - the nearest is in Highcliffe, about 8 miles away. They have plenty of rooms (30) available at the moment so we should in theory have a bit of time to make up our minds before they fill up. Price £68 per room per night.

Holiday Inns - the nearest is in Adnac Park, on the outskirts (?) of Southampton,16 miles away. Again apparently plenty of space at the moment, and cost £ 69 per night.

If anyone wants to throw any other hotels into the pot, they'd be most welcome. These are the ones that have come out of email replies to me so far and my own researches.

My inclination having taken everyone's feedback is to wait and see what (if anything) the Angel Inn has to offer before we make up our minds, bearing in mind that if the South Lawn Hotel books up (and it is the most expensive of the ones I've contacted, though by no means plush), the Holiday Inn and Premier Inn have plenty of rooms at the moment.

If anyone would like to post their own thoughts as to whether this seems a sensible way to proceed though, I'd be very grateful - and if any one wants to check out any other hotels that look nice to them, they're most, most welcome.

Wherever we stay, I for one am thoroughly looking forward to it !

Best to all !
Charles
ken68
Level5
Level5

Post by ken68 »

Thanks for all your hard work and time again Charles. Also we appreciate everyone accommodating us on the dates.
That will be the first weekend of our hols and we intend to drive down Friday and stay for the week in the area.
Do we as yet have any plans? Will it be a few outings to try and recce all things DW in the area? should we all start looking for possible sites compare on the Friday night saturday morn and then decide which look interesting?
I will be driving down so that would be one car if we are.
So looking forward this.
In anticipation
Ken and Mary
Charles
Level5
Level5

Post by Charles »

Nat and I will try to drive down late on the Friday evening so as to be relaxed and ready for the Saturday.

So long as everyone is as mobile as when I last saw them (we may have to arrange something for Margareta if she's able to join us, if she's not yet fully mobile) Lymington is a small town and it will be relatively easy to walk slowly up (or more rapidly down !) the steep High Street and branch off at the top to see where DW's house was and the remains of the serpentine wall. I understand that where they built the modern houses on the site there are also bits of DW walls (Steve Whatley may be able to help here - I think he's browsed there for a little longer than I have).

Some of the buildings mentioned in the early Roger Brook novels are clearly identifiable - including of course the Angel Inn.

There is also one of DW's front doors to see, as it is now the front door of a modern house. I know where it is (famous last words !), although I haven't yet seen it with my own eyes.

When Nat and I were with Bob and Sue, the ladies couldn't resist the shops ( :D ) and we took some free time after lunch watching the sea and the boats - we just had sandwiches but maybe this time we should do better.

As for the elusive tower, I have a few Lymington contacts I must consult (one is the person who very kindly gave me the house sale catalogue - and who was shown over Grove Place by DW. I don't know if he'd like to be our guest for lunch or supper, but if no-one objected I'd like to ask him). If any of them knows where the tower is, that might make a nice afternoon excursion - for which we would certainly need cars.

Sorry - these are but a few rambling thoughts ... just to give an idea for those who haven't been to Lymington of what's available ... Nick, Steve W and others who have also been there will I'm sure be able to add some ideas for a relaxing and enjoyable 'field trip'.

I look forward by the way to everyone's ideas on whether we're on the right track on accomodation, and whether or not we should wait to hear what the Angel Inn has (or has not) got to offer before making a booking ....

Finally, Ken ... of course we couldn't do it without you and Mary !

Best to all !
Charles
Steve Whatley
Level5
Level5

Post by Steve Whatley »

I think the Angel Inn sounds the most attractive both because of its location and in view of the ('theoretical') price. And because of the number of rooms, and our likely turn-out, we might virtually have the place to ourselves. It would certainly be worth waiting just over a week to establish whether or not it is feasible.

I believe from a visit Jean and I made in the mid- to late nineties (I think) that the gardens of some of the new houses are bounded by DW walls, and that in one place DW initialled the cement on the top of a wall. But the initials can only be viewed from within someone's private garden and with the aid of a step ladder, so please don't get too excited!

We must certainly pose for some group photos beside the serpentine wall, or perhaps beside the stone bearing the name of Grove Place (which I think was set into a wall after the demolition) if it is still there.

I for one am planning to read the opening chapters of The Launching of Roger Brook again before we go, and I would urge everyone to do the same, or perhaps to take a copy with you. What better time to start reading the whole twelve-volume saga in chronological order?

I have a vague memory that some parts of The Ka of Gifford Hillary were set in Hampshire, but whether there are any local references I don't know. Is anyone familiar with that title?[font=Courier New] [/font]
ken68
Level5
Level5

Post by ken68 »

The Angel does seem the obvious choice and well worth waiting a week or so.

Ken

Return to “General Topics”