Links to DW videos on BBC4 webpage down?

The place to post anything DW-related
lukehoney
Level3
Level3

Links to DW videos on BBC4 webpage down?

Post by lukehoney »

I've just tried to log on to these (Letter to Posterity webpage on BBC4 site) but they don't seem to be working. Anyone know if the BBC have deleted them? The two radio interview links are working, but the two DW video links appear to be broken. A pity. I wonder if they are available anywhere else?

Thanks,

Luke
lukehoney
Level3
Level3

Broken Links on BBC4 Letter to Posterity Webpage

Post by lukehoney »

Further to my last post, I've just reported the "broken links" to the BBC through their technical fault page. It would be good to get these video links up and running again. I'm not sure if it's a technical fault or if the BBC have decided to delete them. One of them includes very interesting stuff about DW's book collection, including his signed first edition of Crowley's "Magic in Theory and Practice"; and general shots of DW's study at Grove Place and his collection of Napoleonic capo-di-monte figurines. I don't think these two clips are available anywhere else.

The webpage is: http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbcfour/documentar ... tley.shtml

The two video clips are "On His Writing Routine and Early Life", and "On Other Authors of the Time and his Passion for Collecting". The two audio clips with he radio interviews seem to be working.

If anyone can be bothered, it probably wouldn't do any harm if more of us reported the broken link- the more "complaints", the more likely the BBC are to fix it!

Many thanks

Luke
Charles
Level5
Level5

Post by Charles »

Dear Luke,

Many thanks for pointing that out.

I'll add my own comments to yours and hope they put them back soon !

All best !
Charles
lukehoney
Level3
Level3

Post by lukehoney »

Alas, it looks like the BBC have taken a conscious decision to remove these video links. I've noticed that video links to other BBC 4 programmes have been removed as well. Which is annoying, as there was an especially interesting video of DW at Grove talking about his Modern First Edition book collection, amongst other things. Did any other DW enthusiast manage to save it?
lukehoney
Level3
Level3

Post by lukehoney »

Wondering if any other DW enthusiast managed to download/save the missing BBC4 website DW clip "on other authors of the time and his passion for collecting"?

Thanks!
Jim
Level5
Level5

Post by Jim »

lukehoney wrote: Wondering if any other DW enthusiast managed to download/save the missing BBC4 website DW clip "on other authors of the time and his passion for collecting"?
Would it be an egregious violation of the Beeb's copyright if we shared these clips among ourselves? (I don't imagine they could be hosted on this site...)
lukehoney
Level3
Level3

Post by lukehoney »

I would be very interested to find out from which film these BBC4 clips were originally taken from? Wouldn't the copyright remain with the original film company? I think there are Pathe News (or is it Gaumont?) clips currently available on the web. Another idea worth mentioning: In the recent biography, Phil Baker talks about a film DW had made up for his family about his life. I wonder if the BBC4 clips came from this- or if there is any remote possibility that the DW personal film could be made available on the site?
Charles
Level5
Level5

Post by Charles »

I think at least some of the BBC material came from a short documentary called 'A Living Portrait'. The script certainly survives, and one day I'll bring it along as an exhibit for the Museum at one of our Conventions.

As for the film version and the DW personal film, I'm quietly working on them !

Excellent idea re Pathe News.

Following Luke's post of 10th Feb I tried to contact the BBC to see if they would put the links back online but I just got a standard message saying they don't have the resources to reply to enquiries.

Public sector cuts, I suppose ... ... ... perhaps if someone else has a go at the BBC (one for you, Nick ?) they may do better ?

If anyone did record the clips while they were still on and would like to quietly let me know for the general good, it would be appreciated. Some of course appeared in the 'Lost Decade' documentary itself, and I know several people took copies of that.

I hope you all have an excellent May Bank Holiday
Charles
TonyGosling
Level1
Level1

Post by TonyGosling »

Here you will find the soundtrack to the Dennis Wheatley commentary film - which follows the two (excellent old school BBC) removed interviews from that page.
http://www.radio4all.net/index.php/program/28810
to download, right click on the triangle and 'save file as'.

more
http://www.radio4all.net/index.php/contributor/2149

rgds,

Tony Gosling
http://www.thisweek.org.uk
TonyGosling
Level1
Level1

Post by TonyGosling »

My old employers the BBC get on my nerves these days.
Most interesting is what they choose not to tell us in their news bulletins.
http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/news/lond ... 20523.html
Such as one of their trustees Marcus Agius going to a secret cabal last weekend begun by Prince Bernhard, an SS officer, and presided over by war crminal Henry Kissinger ;-(
lukehoney wrote:Alas, it looks like the BBC have taken a conscious decision to remove these video links. I've noticed that video links to other BBC 4 programmes have been removed as well. Which is annoying, as there was an especially interesting video of DW at Grove talking about his Modern First Edition book collection, amongst other things. Did any other DW enthusiast manage to save it?

Return to “General Topics”