Clinton House

The place to post anything DW-related
Charles
Level5
Level5

Post by Charles »

Stevie P wrote:Hi Charles,

I have now read the book so if you would be kind enough to add the title to the library it should be there by next weekend.
I'm pleased to say that I still have my hols to come. I was trying to get the review completed so that I could take the next book with me.

Good news re. Clinton. Fingers crossed.

Steve
Hi Steve,

A space for 'Codeword - Golden Fleece' is ready and waiting ...

I'm certainly looking foward to this one ... and hope you have a great holiday. Does the family know you're taking a DW book with you ? They may not approve ...

All best !!
Charles
Charles
Level5
Level5

Post by Charles »

Dear All,

For the latest update, see

http://www.thisislocallondon.co.uk/news ... rmer_home/

I do not however regard the battle as necesarily lost.

Kind regards to all ...
Charles
Charles
Level5
Level5

Post by Charles »

I haven't heard anything directly myself, but I understand a new application to demolish Clinton and build a block of flats has gone in.

Same case officer, apparently.

Subject to confimation, it may be time for some more letters ...

All best !
Charles
Charles
Level5
Level5

Post by Charles »

Roger Dobson has kindly alerted me to the fact that Lambeth planners will discuss the future of Clinton at a meeting on 2nd February at 7 p.m. at Lambeth Town Hall. Apparently people will be allowed to speak from the floor.

Unfortunately I can't attend as I've already agreed to go up to Cambridge for something I can't cancel.

If anyone else wants to go / can go, I suggest they contact the Council and have a chat about the arrangements.

Roger advises me they've recommended acceptance of the flats plan, I regret to say.

Thanks for spotting that Roger - I'm most grateful
Charles
Charles
Level5
Level5

Post by Charles »

As before, the website address for details is

http://planning.lambeth.gov.uk/publicac ... hform.aspx

and this time the case reference number is 09/03779/FUL

All best
Charles
Charles
Level5
Level5

Post by Charles »

It may well not be the end of the saga, but the plan to demolish Clinton has been refused again.

As far as I'm aware the reasons haven't yet been disclosed.

Nice to know it will be around, even in this shape, for a while longer.

Perhaps it may yet be restored to its former glory.

Those of you who sent in objections - you may well have made a difference.

All best to all !
Charles
Steve Whatley
Level5
Level5

Post by Steve Whatley »

I have today received a letter dated 12 March from the Planning department of the London Borough of Lambeth advising that an appeal has been made to the Secretary of State against the Council's decision to refuse planning permission.

So the saga continues....[font=Courier New] [/font]
Jim
Level5
Level5

Post by Jim »

Steve Whatley wrote:I have today received a letter dated 12 March from the Planning department of the London Borough of Lambeth advising that an appeal has been made to the Secretary of State against the Council's decision to refuse planning permission.[font=Courier New] [/font]
I also got a copy, here in New York City!
Steve Whatley
Level5
Level5

Post by Steve Whatley »

Jim, as Charles has already suggested, I'm sure your intercontinental interest must bring some much-needed additional weight to the objections campaign.[font=Courier New] [/font]
Charles
Level5
Level5

Post by Charles »

I have no doubt of it, Jim.

I bet you really woke up Lambeth's Planning Department !

All best !
Charles
Steve Whatley
Level5
Level5

Post by Steve Whatley »

Yesterday I received notice dated 4 June of an appeal by the would-be developer which wishes to demolish Clinton House and replace it with flats.

There will be an informal hearing at 10am on 7 July at Lambeth Town Hall.

Have we any wealthy Library members who could donate a few hundred thousand pounds to a DW Museum Fund?[font=Courier New] [/font]
Jim
Level5
Level5

Post by Jim »

I got my notice today. There's no option for further comments except to go there (hardly an option from New York City <g> ). I do hope someone is writing in for a copy of the Inspector's decision letter.
Charles
Level5
Level5

Post by Charles »

I can't see it confirmed on the Council website

http://planning.lambeth.gov.uk/online-applications/ and input Postcode SW2 3DY

but a journalist emailed me a few days ago and told me that planning for the new development has been approved.

Jim has pointed out to me by the way that it isn't just DW's homes which are affected in this way - one of Conan Doyle's homes is likely to be ruined by developers too.

What a pity people don't appreciate their past until it's too late ... I don't think there is a single person now who would support the demolition of Grove Place if we could turn the clock back ...

Best as always !
Charles
Charles
Level5
Level5

Post by Charles »

Just to say I drove past the house today, and it's still there ... but not, I suspect, for very long ...

Best wishes as always !
Charles
Steve Whatley
Level5
Level5

Post by Steve Whatley »

It's tragic to think that Clinton House will be lost forever. I haven't got around to seeing it, and I don't suppose I will now.

I did make a return visit to Lymington a few weeks ago, and just looking at the garden walls of Grove Place, and thinking what used to lie within them, brought back the tragedy of that particular demolition. The modern houses and neo-Georgian blocks of flats which have been built there are an absolute eyesore compared with the lovely old house and beautiful gardens which once were there.[font=Courier New] [/font]

Return to “General Topics”