the devil is a gentleman

The place to post anything DW-related
ken68
Level5
Level5

the devil is a gentleman

Post by ken68 »

hi all
just had an email from amazon.....its on its way woo-hoo :lol: .
anyone got theirs yet?
Charles
Level5
Level5

Post by Charles »

No !

I'm expecting mine nearer the end of the month.

If yours arrives sooner, please shout - I'd have to order an extra copy via Amazon - and ask for Special Deivery !

:D
Charles
Steve Whatley
Level5
Level5

Post by Steve Whatley »

Yes, I received a similar e-mail to Ken's on Friday 9th, saying my copy had been despatched by Royal Mail.

It didn't arrive on Saturday, but then I didn't really expect it to. I have high hopes for Monday though!

Once it arrives I imagine I'll be reading it to the exclusion of all else.
ken68
Level5
Level5

Post by ken68 »

i have it! a weighty tome, would have made DW proud. i am out tonight and tomorrow night so won't be able to start it until wed. wots that italian curse!
ken
Jim
Level5
Level5

Post by Jim »

I just got an e-mail from The Book Depository today--my copy is on its way to NYC!
Steve Whatley
Level5
Level5

Post by Steve Whatley »

Yes, my copy has arrived too - good old Royal Mail!

I've just been dipping in rather than try to read the whole thing straight off; but not just dipping in here and there - I've been dipping in all over the place. And there's plenty of scope for that in six hundred pages.

My first impression is that it's rich with references to interesting people and events in almost every paragraph - just what I wished for! The emphasis certainly seems to be on the facts rather than the author's opinion. (Not that I have anything against Mr. Baker's opinion, but too much of that sort of thing has been known to ruin a good biography.)

I'm already sure that even after I've read the whole thing through I shall be forever revisiting this monumental work.

Hooray for Phil Baker! [font=Courier New] [/font]
Stevie P
Level5
Level5

Post by Stevie P »

I now have a copy as well. I only ordered it yesterday!!

I also have a problem. Do I carry on reading the next DW book in the series, 'Come into my Parlour', or do I start reading the new Dan Brown book which is is sat on my bedside table or do I start Phil's new book???? So many books so little time!!!!!

Is Phil planning a visit to Elstree? If so a book signing session might be in order. :D
Charles
Level5
Level5

Post by Charles »

Dear Steve,

A partial solution ...

Forget Dan Brown and choose from between the other two !

:D

Your old friend
Charles
Steve Whatley
Level5
Level5

Post by Steve Whatley »

Steve, further to Charles's advice, I would forget about this new feller Dan What's-his-name, and read Come Into My Parlour and the biography at the same time (not literally of course).

I often have a novel and a biography on the go at the same time, and I select whichever one I fancy when I go to bed. If I feel tired I usually go for the fiction, but if I'm a bit more alert I tend to reach for the biography. Some nights I start with the non-fiction, then as I grow more tired, I switch to the novel. So there you are - problem solved!

Of course, you could start the biography, then every time you get to the point where DW writes a book, you could stop and read that before you continue. That way you could get the full DW experience - the full life story and the complete works in the order in which they were written. Go on, someone has to be first to do it, and you're just the man.

Enjoy![font=Courier New] [/font]
Stevie P
Level5
Level5

Post by Stevie P »

Gentlemen,

Thankyou for the words of wisdom.
I feel as though a great weight has been lifted!!

Anybody want to buy a Dan Brown book!!!!

;)
Garry Holmes
Level5
Level5

Post by Garry Holmes »

Hmmmm, only a few months till Christmas. I wonder if I should start dropping hints to my family... :twisted:
Jim
Level5
Level5

Post by Jim »

I received my Sexton Blake collection today from the Book Depository--mailed just under a month ago. If the Baker bio (ordered at the same time) went out on or about October 13, I'm looking at a mid-November arrival.
ken68
Level5
Level5

Post by ken68 »

well sat up in the small hours this morning to finish it. can't say i am all that impressed to be honest. could he find nothing good to say? and why the keep harking back to the occult novels? a hatchet job not very well written imho.
best thing was seeing our own charles iwan and in there.
ken
Last edited by ken68 on Mon 19 Oct, 2009 21:02:44, edited 1 time in total.
Jim
Level5
Level5

Post by Jim »

Well, surprise! My doorbell rang this morning, and there was my copy of The Devil is a Gentleman, only a week after it was mailed from England!

I look forward to spending some time with this thick volume in the not-too-distant future...
Charles
Level5
Level5

Post by Charles »

Bit short notice, but I'm seeing Phil Baker tomorrow night (Tues 20th Oct at 6.30 p.m.).

They won't be personalised, but if anyone who will be at the Convention wants me to buy a copy of the book down here and to get it autographed for them, Phil has kindly offered to do the honours.

I'd then bring the book to the Convention and you could pay for it / collect it there.

Let me know if it's something you would like - sorry for some it would mean having a second copy ...

Best to all as always
Charles

Return to “General Topics”