Clinton House

The place to post anything DW-related
Charles
Level5
Level5

Clinton House

Post by Charles »

Dear All,

You may have read the recent piece on Clinton House in the section on DW's Homes in the Museum.

http://www.denniswheatley.info/museum/d ... 12&order=5

If you have, you may be interested to know that an application to demolish the house was submitted to Lambeth Council today.

I have sent them an email mentioning its significance to DW fans, and expressing the hope that permission to demolish it and erect a huge new residential complex will be refused. What impact it will have, who knows.

I'm not sure at this stage if it is worth anyone else / everyone else writing in ... I'll give the case officer a phone call on Monday.

Meanwhile, the message is - if you want to see the remnants of this once very nice home while it's still standing, don't delay.

Caveats on the neighbourhood still stand, but in my personal experience, it's o.k. if you go by car.

Best wishes as always
Charles
Steve Whatley
Level5
Level5

Post by Steve Whatley »

Well done Charles!

This is a good example of a way (aside from the obvious) in which contributors to this website can take action to try to preserve the DW heritage.

Whilst I don't suppose that our representations would carry anything like as much weight as those of local residents, I nevertheless think it would be worthwhile if we all made our feelings known in the same way that Charles has. Councils do listen when large numbers of people all express similar views.

As mentioned privately to Charles - if one of our number should be lucky enough to win the national (or euro-) lottery, we could buy Clinton House and turn it into a DW Museum.

That might be nothing more than a dream, but saving Clinton House as a building by petitioning the local council could be a reality.

So why don't we all take a leaf out of Charles's book and send a quick e-mail to Lambeth Council?

Charles, could you possibly post an e-mail address or link for Lambeth Council to make it even easier for everyone to join your 'campaign'? Is there a planning application number which we could quote?
Charles
Level5
Level5

Post by Charles »

Dear Steve,

Delighted you feel the way I do !

Clinton's full address (I imagine the name itself fell out of use long ago) is 1 Palace Road, London SW2 3DY.

The planning application can be viewed at

http://planning.lambeth.gov.uk/publicac ... hform.aspx

and the case reference number is 09/01804/FUL

The case officer is Robert O'Sullivan and his email address is ROsullivan@lambeth.gov.uk

I've emailed him, but will telephone him on Monday and see if I can glean any more.

I agree if any of us won the lottery, this would be a good way to spend the winnings. Perhaps I'd better start going in for it !!

All best to everyone as always !
Charles
Charles
Level5
Level5

Post by Charles »

[Continued ...]

For some reason if you copy and paste the application number into the online form, it doesn't find the application; it appears you have to type in the application number manually.

If you click on the 'Submit Comments' button at the top of the form you can type in your comments - probably best to do that rather than use Mr O'Sullivan's personal email address.

All best to all as always !
Charles
Steve Whatley
Level5
Level5

Post by Steve Whatley »

Dear Charles

Many thanks for the details; I did search for the planning application on the Lambeth Council website earlier on, but missed it as I was looking for Clinton House rather than 1 Palace Road.

I have now lodged my objection using the facility provided on the website as you suggested, rather than e-mailing Mr O'Sullivan in person.

Weight of numbers can be of the utmost importance in situations such as this, so may I therefore urge all of our fellow DW enthusiasts to spend just a couple of minutes (that's all it will take) to make similar objections to this proposal?

Who knows, together we may be able to save one of DW's old homes from destruction.
Jim
Level5
Level5

Post by Jim »

I'm in!

It's just three paragraphs, but I posted a note this evening on the Lambeth Planning website urging that the house be saved.
Charles
Level5
Level5

Post by Charles »

Dear Jim,

Excellent - thank you !

You won't get it in the USA (unless it's online), but in today's London Evening Standard, they have run a short piece on the Clinton campaign headed 'Lambeth rides roughshod' in Londoner's Diary, on page 15.

They got themselves totally muddled up about Hammer Films, but never mind. It mentions the revival of DW (glad they got that bit right !) and Phil's forthcoming book, so all in all I think it's a good result.

Thank you, Evening Standard !
Charles
Charles
Level5
Level5

Post by Charles »

The article can be found at

http://londonersdiary.standard.co.uk/20 ... hshod.html

All best !
Charles
Jim
Level5
Level5

Post by Jim »

Any update on this???
Charles
Level5
Level5

Post by Charles »

Nothing yet, Jim.

Various representations have gone in, and we're waiting for the Planning Dept to announce the date of their hearing.

Hopefully I will be attending !

All best !
Charles
Stevie P
Level5
Level5

Post by Stevie P »

I've just received a note from Lambeth borough council.

It says,

Proposed Development at 1 Palace Road London SW2 3DY

For: Demolition of the existing building and redevelopment of the site involving the erection of a part 3/part storey building and a part3/part 4 storey building to provide 33 self contained residential units (Class C3) together with associated pedestrian access from Palace Road, communal and private amenity space, hard and soft landscaping, refuse abd recycling storage and cycle parking.

Applicant: The Abode Partnership

I refer to my previous letter acknowledging your comments on this proposal.

The decision on the planning application is as follows:

Application Withdrawn

The following conditions for permission or reasons for refusal apply:

Yours sincerely

Divisional Director, Planning
Regeneration & Housing Department

Has anybody else had one of these??
Charles
Level5
Level5

Post by Charles »

Hi Steve,

One other person has received one of these to my knowledge - in Saturday morning's post.

I've liaised with one of the key non-DW campaigners, and it is unclear why ... whether we've won or whether those in favour of demolition are simply regrouping.

Either way, it can't be bad news !

Thanks for your support ... and thank you everyone else who has written in.

We may not have won the war, but it certainly seems as if the first battle is ours !

All best !

Charles

PS I'm glad you're back from holiday, Steve .... I'm looking forward to your next review :D :D :D !
Charles
Stevie P
Level5
Level5

Post by Stevie P »

Hi Charles,

I have now read the book so if you would be kind enough to add the title to the library it should be there by next weekend.
I'm pleased to say that I still have my hols to come. I was trying to get the review completed so that I could take the next book with me.

Good news re. Clinton. Fingers crossed.

Steve
Jim
Level5
Level5

Post by Jim »

Charles wrote: One other person has received one of these to my knowledge - in Saturday morning's post. I've liaised with one of the key non-DW campaigners, and it is unclear why ... whether we've won or whether those in favour of demolition are simply regrouping. Either way, it can't be bad news !
I got mine today--sent from Lambeth to NYC!
Charles
Level5
Level5

Post by Charles »

That's excellent news, Jim.

I bet it surprised them to get an objection from NYC. That certainly must have made them sit up !!

All best !
Charles

Return to “General Topics”