Better To Marry- by Eve Chaucer

The place to post anything DW-related
Steve Whatley
Level5
Level5

Better To Marry- by Eve Chaucer

Post by Steve Whatley »

I've recently finished reading my second Eve Chaucer novel, Better To Marry-, and found it a very different experience from the light-hearted tale of No Ordinary Virgin.

Better To Marry- starts normally enough as a romance played out both in rural England and in the more exotic setting of Dakar, Senegal.

But about halfway through it descends into almost Hardyesque tragedy, with protagonists behaving out of character, and making decisions the motivation for which is hard to understand, even within the context of the story.

It doesn't even give more than a sketchy impression of 1930's Dakar, not that there was much one wanted to know about it anyway.

So, whilst I'm sure you are all reading - or at least searching for - a copy of No Ordinary Virgin upon my recommendation (!!!), I wouldn't even bother with this one.
Charles
Level5
Level5

Post by Charles »

Thanks, Steve

Pity - it has such an enticing dust jacket.

Given your review, I'll certainly wait until I've come to the end of my rather long reading list before I start that one !

Are you straight into the next one ???

All best !
Charles
Steve Whatley
Level5
Level5

Post by Steve Whatley »

I agree Charles, it does look to be a lovely dustwrapper - unfortunately my copy doesn't have one.

The Girl Who Wasn't Claudia is next on my list - it's the only other one I possess.

As it seems to feature Hungary - and hopefully Budapest - I'm wondering if it will shed any light on that statue (you know the one I mean). Come to think of it, I'd better re-read that one of the Gregory Sallust series which features Budapest - can't think which title it is off hand.

Best Wishes,
Cibator
Level4
Level4

Post by Cibator »

Unless I'm mistaken, it's Traitors' Gate that takes Gregory to Budapest, trying to influence the Hungarians to change sides. At one point he has a fight with Grauber in the men's room (but I don't think that's the "bog" mentioned in one of the other topics!!).
Fas est et ab hoste doceri
Steve Whatley
Level5
Level5

Post by Steve Whatley »

Ah Cibator, thanks for that. I've now started reading The Girl Who Wasn't Claudia (and very interesting it is too); maybe I'll pull out a copy of Traitor's Gate and have a look in there at the same time.

By the way, if it's not too rude a question to ask, how do you pronounce your name?

For some reason I always read it as 'Sy-bate-or', but I guess it probably should be 'Sighba-tor'.

Or maybe it's neither of these, or a mixture of both, or something completely different?

Anyway, I'd like to know I've got your name right when I read your messages.
Cibator
Level4
Level4

Post by Cibator »

Steve, it's not at all a rude question. As a matter of fact though, I don't know the answer for sure!! I never gave any thought to the pronunciation when minting the name for myself some years ago.

Most natural seems to be sigh-BAY-tuh, which is what my wife has always used. SIGH-buh-tuh and SIGH-buh-tor are less satisfactory. (I don't think any form that stresses and/or fully pronounces that final -or is likely to catch on.)

Far the worst would be the pedantic Latin pronunciations: kib-AH-tor or KIB-a-tor. Those would find me going suddenly very deaf, I think.
Fas est et ab hoste doceri

Return to “General Topics”