This sort of thing does not help

The place to post anything DW-related
Nick
Level5
Level5

This sort of thing does not help

Post by Nick »

From an American idiot with a website called trash fiction.....

Back in the early-1970s Dennis Wheatley was a big name. Now, as far as I can tell, he's pretty much forgotten and books that used to be best-sellers, like To The Devil A Daughter and The Devil Rides Out, go entirely unread. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, since Wheatley was a writer of no great talent, and his books were clunky, lumpy slabs of indigestible narrative, shot through with lashings of black magic and satanism. At the time this was dangerous, edgy stuff, but - largely through Wheatley's own efforts - there's now so much more awareness of magic rituals that his version of it isn't exactly shocking anymore. The Hammer movies of his novels (particularly The Devil Rides Out, adapted by Richard Matheson) are worth seeing - the books aren't worth reading.

Easy to be disparaging, I wonder if he could write a book as sucessful as DRO. Well there 's no accounting for taste, or lack of it.
Sir_Dan_of_Cure
Level1
Level1

Post by Sir_Dan_of_Cure »

Nick,

I've read a number of similar appraisals - usually from ill-informed half-wits who are incapable of rendering a single sentence without contradicting themselves. I find it best to ignore - such people are unworthy of comment!

Dan
"The Silver Knight" by Daniel Cure...now available online... http://stores.lulu.com/danielcure

Visit the website at www.danielcure.co.uk

Return to “General Topics”