New book 'Famous 1914-1918' has chapter on Dennis Wheatley

The place to post anything DW-related
Steve Whatley
Level5
Level5

New book 'Famous 1914-1918' has chapter on Dennis Wheatley

Post by Steve Whatley »

For those who haven't seen it yet, a book by Richard Van Emden and Victor Piuk with the somewhat awkward title 'Famous 1914-1918' (Pen & Sword Military, 2008) contains a 14-page chapter on Dennis Wheatley.

The book features the Great War experiences of 21 well-known characters, including authors AA Milne, CS Lewis, Tolkien and JB Priestley, mountaineer George Mallory, actors Arnold Ridley, Basil Rathbone and Nigel Bruce, plus Churchill, Macmillan and Montgomery. There are also interesting photographs to accompany each subject.

I don't think it turns up anything new on our hero, but all in all it is certainly a fascinating book. I say this and I haven't even read it all yet. Being a fan of 'Dad's Army', I found the chapter on Arnold Ridley particularly interesting. And I'm looking forward to reading about Rathbone and Bruce.

Hope others amongst you will share my enthusiasm.

Regards to all, Steve.
ken68
Level5
Level5

Post by ken68 »

oh now that sounds good. hats going on my santa list. ;-)
Garry Holmes
Level5
Level5

Post by Garry Holmes »

There you go, Steve, tempting me to buy yet another book. Get thee behind me, Satan! :twisted:
Charles
Level5
Level5

Post by Charles »

We're all going to have to buy new houses to store our ever increasing amount of books ...

Now that should solve the credit crunch !

All best !
Charles
Steve Whatley
Level5
Level5

Post by Steve Whatley »

On the same theme, but non-DW this time I'm afraid, the January 2009 issue of Britain At War magazine has an eight-page feature entitled 'When Dad's Army Went To War.' This article details the real experiences in both World Wars of the cast and creators of 'Dad's Army', including actor John Laurie, who was mentioned in the publisher's blurb for 'Famous 1914-1918' but not actually included in the book.

It's a very interesting read, with good illustrations and footnotes. The magazine contains articles on a wide variety of other military subjects, plus 'Ten Things You Probably Didn't Know About Winston Churchill' (I didn't know six or seven of them). It's not a magazine I normally buy, and I only discovered this issue a couple of days ago. If you want one please hurry to your local branch of WH Smith & Son, as it may soon be replaced by the February issue.

Return to “General Topics”