As the credit crunch bites I cant help wondering......

The place to post anything DW-related
Nick
Level5
Level5

As the credit crunch bites I cant help wondering......

Post by Nick »

Which of DW charactors be worth the most? DeRichleau dealt succesfully in high finance and runs a castle, a home in Pangbourne and a flat in Mayfair with a chef and a valet has a Hispano and a Touring Rolls with one Chauffeur, (about £5million?) but then there is Sir Pellinore Gwain Cust (with no brains at all)who made a cool £10 million having been discharged from the Army for his debts, however he left that lot to Gregory Sallust. How much was Roger Brook worth?
Its quite interesting to compile a DW rich list but equally interesting to remember that somewhere there is a conversation between the Musketeers on the subject of losing all their money and how would they live (was that in Strange Conflict? I cant remember) Well its a nice daydream....I wonder how the Duke would face the credit Crunch or must we accept his sad prediction ..after me the deluge......
caroline$-0
Level3
Level3

Post by caroline$-0 »

Hmmmmmm Toby Jugg was quite well off.
Charles
Level5
Level5

Post by Charles »

Interesting question.

I reckon the Duke would always come out on top, but Sir Pellinore would come a very creditable second. Roger is a bit of a gambler, so who knows ?

If they were alive now, I reckon the Duke's cool brain would have put him in Hedge Funds, but taken him out again at the top. Sir Pellinore would have a portfolio of first class properties, which would be mouth watering even in a recession.

Rex ? Far too practical and level headed to have got caught up in all this 'sub prime' business. He would never let his bank invest in something he couldn't understand. My bet is his old man introduced him to Warren Buffett and he's doing just fine.

Simon probably bought gold.

Richard ? Probably took Rex's advice and is just fine, but if he didn't, hopefully Marie Lou has still got plenty of jewels.

But will their next generation be living in England ? Maybe not, as the deluge is lapping at their feet ...

What a wonderful 'thought experiment' you've introduced Nick .... any further thoughts ???

All best to all !
Charles
Alan
Level5
Level5

Post by Alan »

I think in "Dangerous Inheritance" there is a reference to Rex and Marie-Lou losing the bulk of their money and living in reduced circumstances...

> Richard ? Probably took Rex's advice and is just fine, but if he didn't, hopefully Marie Lou has still got plenty of jewels.
ken68
Level5
Level5

Post by ken68 »

poor old roger never seemed to have any luck with money. every time he made some he would lose it again.

my tip to head up the "Wheatley rich list" would be old gwain cust. always be wary of the underrated man
Charles
Level5
Level5

Post by Charles »

> I think in "Dangerous Inheritance" there is a reference to Richard and Marie-Lou losing the bulk of their money and living in reduced circumstances...

The passage you're thinking of is on the first page of "Dangerous Inheritance". Looking at Truss and Fleur, and thinking how nice it would be if they got married, Richard says

"If they did, there's nothing would please me more. With taxes as they are in our Welfare State I've all I can do to keep Cardinal's Folly going; and I'd hate the old place to pass out of the family. But it will have to when I die unless Fleur marries money. For her to tie up with old Rex's boy would be the perfect answer".

I won't spoil the rest of the story ...

Anyway, if Richard were on his uppers, I'm sure he was left something in the Duke's Will ... ... ...

All best to everyone
Charles
Nick
Level5
Level5

Post by Nick »

Do you know I am sure there was another passage somewhere that consisted of the Duke Rex and Simon discussing how they would live if they lost their wealth, and the consensus being that they would carry on with the same standards an life style as best as they could etc. etc. I'll have a go at finding it myself. There is always something new in DW stories no matter how many times the books are read. Great isnt it!
Charles
Level5
Level5

Post by Charles »

Absolutely agreed !

Happy hunting ... and we'll look forward to the results !

All best !
Charles

Return to “General Topics”