Post by buhkawanerbak »

Hello!
How are you?
caroline$-0
Level3
Level3

hello how are you.

Post by caroline$-0 »

very well thank you.What is your interest in Dw.Sorry for the late reply,but the internet is a bit new to me.
Nick
Level5
Level5

Post by Nick »

What's going on here somebody? I think we have one genuine DW fan and one interloper. Caroline if you are a real DW fan welcome and why not tell us about yourself?
Nick
Level5
Level5

Post by Nick »

Just read the other posts Caroline sorry! You are as genuine as any of us.
caroline$-0
Level3
Level3

Post by caroline$-0 »

:D This computer has been in our house for years.Well eight to be exact,and all I did with it was play warcraft and quake.Until my mother was clearing out her attic and informed me that my collection of DW books was there if I wanted them.I could not believe it.Because they were hardbacked Ma had kept them.It was my heron book collection but alas, after checking the book publications list I seem to be missing a few copies.So yes I am am a genuine DW fan and thank you for replying .I was beginning to think that it was only me and Charles here.
Stevie P
Level5
Level5

Post by Stevie P »

Caroline,

I'd just like to offer my welcome to the site as well. Its good to have a female DW fan. (At least I assume you are!!) They seem to be few and far between. Why I wonder???

Nick,

With reference to our chat at the conference, the friend in Friern road was Graham Smith. He lived at (we think) no. 186. Sorry to send this via the site but the individual Email addresses have been stopped. (Quite understandably).

Charles,

I am progressing with "V for Vengeance" but my other half insists I decorate the lounge!!! Women!!! Sorry Caroline!!!

Regards

Stevie P
parabellum
Level2
Level2

Post by parabellum »

Caroline,

I would also like to welcome you. Confession time. My collection is Heron – and yep I just happen to be missing a few copies! Have you read the article The “Heronâ€￾ edition on this site?

Steve

What’s the game? Progressing with V for Vengeance and we haven’t had The Black Baroness yet. Your World War 2 sequence of events must be well out, mate.

It looks like we’re getting the French Resistance before Norway, Denmark, the Low Countries and France have fallen. What would DW say?
Stevie P
Level5
Level5

Post by Stevie P »

Parabellum,

Take no notice - When I say I'm reading 'V' for Vengeance I really meant The Black Baroness.

Its all down to the decorating!!!!!

Its good to see that you're awake - unlike me!!!!!.

Where did I put that book?

Steve
parabellum
Level2
Level2

Post by parabellum »

Steve

Well I was a bit put out. As for decorating when you should be reading and reviewing…………!

Just to pick up on the Heron situation. I was reading DW in the late 60’ and early 70s. The local libraries always had a fair selection of Lymington editions but I did want to own at least my favourites. Not all the DW’s were in print and I settled for whatever I could get. Then I spotted the advertisement for the Heron set. A nice parcel with one novel plus the free one. A few more. Threats of legal action if I didn’t pay (I had paid.) Nothing for months. Then a delivery of of about twenty books. More erratic deliveries. Then that was it. I eventually made up the set by swapping the wife's Dame Agatha collection at a local bookshop. When I started browsing this site I found my experience described in the Heron article and I was surprised to learn that the full DW range was not available anyway. I’d been conned by a glossy advert with a naked virgin ready for sacrifice. Is it any wonder I’m not a Black Magic fan?

Best regards all
caroline$-0
Level3
Level3

Post by caroline$-0 »

:-) I,m surprised that there are so few members of the female variety.I thought Lark and Gloomysundae were female,apologies if they are not.Oh by the by ,Lark mentioned rituals in the woods of Northern Ireland.Tell me more ,I,m just an old gossip.
Alan
Level5
Level5

Post by Alan »

>I’d been conned by a glossy advert with a naked virgin ready for sacrifice. Is it any wonder I’m not a Black Magic fan?

How could you tell she was a virgin? :D

btw welcome to the site, Caroline...
duncanpaul17
Level4
Level4

Post by duncanpaul17 »

Hi Caroline, may I too wish you a belated welcome to the site.

I recently got back into reading DW just over two years ago and have been trying to get a complete library of his non-fiction works, only 2 to go.

I have not got them all in the same series, but was very fortunate to visit a local branch of Oxfam who were selling off some Heron editions of DW's books at very reasonable prices.

I remember the Heron offer at the time, but was not tempted cos my dad was collecting the Alastair Maclean series at the time and was experiecing the same erratic delivery as some of you seem to have had with DW's books.

Stevie P I don't know if you remember but at the conference you told me you were reading DW's books in chronological order, did you mean in the order he wrote them or the dates the stories took place. The De Richleau series in particular is one in which his date lines tend to jump backwards and forwards which is why there may appear to be discrepancies in dates of events which have been posted elsewhere.

Hope everyone is keeping well

Best Regards

Duncan
Stevie P
Level5
Level5

Post by Stevie P »

Hi Duncan,

Its good to hear from you again.

I am reading the books in the order he wrote them. A few other people asked if it may be better to keep to the actual story line dates. However I wanted to get the feel of how DW progressed as a writer and how his writing altered as it went on. I also wanted to pick up connections from each book to the next. If I had read a book written in 1950 and then one written in 1935 think I would have missed a lot of the 'close links'.

Best wishes

Steve
parabellum
Level2
Level2

Post by parabellum »

Alan

"I’d been conned by a glossy advert with a naked virgin ready for sacrifice. Is it any wonder I’m not a Black Magic fan? "

Just a wild guess and with my limited Black Magic knowledge I thought they had to be otherwise the sacrifice was not valid?
Alan
Level5
Level5

Post by Alan »

Which probably explains why the Satanic Church has never made much headway in Australia :D

>Just a wild guess and with my limited Black Magic knowledge I thought they had to be otherwise the sacrifice was not valid?

Return to “General Topics”