"The Devil Rides Out" - Filming Locations

The place to post anything DW-related
K R Cope

"The Devil Rides Out" - Filming Locations

Post by K R Cope »

At the Convention yesterday, there was a brief discussion on the filming locations for TDRO...having just arrived home, we've checked these, and (apart from "our" hotel :D), they were:-
Black Park Country Park (which seems to be next to Pinewood Studios, and was presumably the location for the car chases?).
High Canons, Well End, Herts. (Mocata's House) - there is a pic on the Gerry Anderson website:-
http://www.fanderson.org.uk/prodguides/ ... guide.html
Steve Whatley
Level5
Level5

Post by Steve Whatley »

Ken, thanks for the link to the Gerry Anderson locations site - I've added it to my favourites list immediately.

We've visited Black Park Country Park once or twice, but may have to check it out again now...

High Canons is unmistakable; I'll see if I can get along there and take a look at it.

There's Elstree Aerodrome just down the road from the Corus Hotel - I wonder whether that featured in the opening scene? The little control tower was quite distinctive, so could answer the question if it's still there. Incidentally, you can take helicopter flights over central London from Elstree Aerodrome (not cheap, and would need to be booked in advance) - a possible excursion from next year's Convention?

PS - No, I'm NOT on commission, and NO, you won't get me up in one of those contraptions!
Last edited by Steve Whatley on Sat 29 Sep, 2012 00:02:16, edited 1 time in total.
Stevie P
Level5
Level5

Post by Stevie P »

Just as an aside. I thought you might like this site showing the Edgewarebury Hotel which was also used for filming The Avengers. I used to love watching this programme in the 60's. The fact Diana Rigg was in it might just have had something to do with it. ;-)

http://theavengers.tv/forever/locations-7.htm
Charles
Level5
Level5

Post by Charles »

Talking of 'The Devil Rides Out', Steve Whately has just alerted me that the film is being re-released on Blu-ray and DVD on 22nd October - see

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Devil-Rides ... 07NZGA6_lm

for details.

You'll notice they've done a certain amount of restoration (whatever that means), and there are a few 'bonus' features.

All best as always !
Charles
Charles
Level5
Level5

Post by Charles »

Sorry, Steve, in my haste to get the news out, I see I mis-spelt your name !

Old age creeping in .... my apologies !

Incidentally, Steve also points out that there are certain price advantages if you order sooner rather than later ....

All best ...
Charles
Jim
Level5
Level5

Post by Jim »

Charles wrote: Talking of 'The Devil Rides Out', Steve Whately has just alerted me that the film is being re-released on Blu-ray and DVD on 22nd October. You'll notice they've done a certain amount of restoration (whatever that means), and there are a few 'bonus' features.
If the posted comments are to be believed, the CGI team has been let loose on the "dated" special effects. I don't see anything about restored footage. The bonuses might be nice...

The U.S. Amazon site doesn't show this title yet (or at all?).
Jim
Level5
Level5

Post by Jim »

On his blog, horror/mystery author Christopher Fowler weighs in on the new Blu-Ray issues:

After years of disastrous mismanagement, Hammer is rising again under the auspices of Simon Oakes, who seems to genuinely understand how to restore the brand. You may be aware of their success with The Woman In Black, Let Me In and Wake Wood, but they are also branching into other areas in recognition of the need to hit several formats at once.

Hammer film novelisations have been commissioned from a lineup of great authors, I’ve just written one of their first original radio plays, and next week at Manchester’s Grimmfest I’ll be introducing
The Devil Rides Out in a pristine new print, now that six Hammer classics have arrived in Blu-Ray versions. Hammer is seeking out the censored seconds from their old prints and restoring the footage, and it will be nice to see Dracula’s eyes finally drop into his face. It means I’ll have to buy the films all over again, but it’ll be worth it.

Horror gained respectability through the creation of sumptuous fantasy period pieces. English horror had extended from a civilised background, the world of Benson, James and Saki, of ghost stories told over after-dinner port. The new Hammer is seeking the same effect, eschewing cheap splatter for an emphasis on good plots and strong performances. It will be interesting to see where they go from here.

Challenged on the fact that Hammer is not offering viewers the option to see the original material (only the new version), he toes the party line: "I can see why fans would be upset, but the original was famously compromised by its low budget, leading to shoddy effects that no-one was happy with." For some reason, the Dracula (released in April) and Frankenstein films have not attracted this level of comment--perhaps a less interventionist restoration?

Hmmmm, maybe we could CGI some real actors into The Haunted Airman...
Last edited by Jim on Sun 7 Oct, 2012 20:34:59, edited 1 time in total.
Garry Holmes
Level5
Level5

Post by Garry Holmes »

Jim wrote:On his blog, horror/mystery author Christopher Fowler weighs in on the new Blu-Ray issues:

After years of disastrous mismanagement, Hammer is rising again under the auspices of Simon Oakes, who seems to genuinely understand how to restore the brand. You may be aware of their success with The Woman In Black, Let Me In and Wake Wood, but they are also branching into other areas in recognition of the need to hit several formats at once.

Hammer film novelisations have been commissioned from a lineup of great authors, I’ve just written one of their first original radio plays, and next week at Manchester’s Grimmfest I’ll be introducing
The Devil Rides Out in a pristine new print, now that six Hammer classics have arrived in Blu-Ray versions. Hammer is seeking out the censored seconds from their old prints and restoring the footage, and it will be nice to see Dracula’s eyes finally drop into his face. It means I’ll have to buy the films all over again, but it’ll be worth it.

Horror gained respectability through the creation of sumptuous fantasy period pieces. English horror had extended from a civilised background, the world of Benson, James and Saki, of ghost stories told over after-dinner port. The new Hammer is seeking the same effect, eschewing cheap splatter for an emphasis on good plots and strong performances. It will be interesting to see where they go from here.

Challenged on the fact that Hammer is not offering viewers the option to see the original material (only the new version), he toes the parrty line: "I can see why fans would be upset, but the original was famously compromised by its low budget, leading to shoddy effects that no-one was happy with." For some reason, the Dracula (released in April) and Frankenstein films have not attracted this level of comment--perhaps a less interventionist restoration?

Hmmmm, maybe we could CGI some real actors into The Haunted Airman...
The problem with DRO is that they are doing things that the original movie makers never even conceived of. Dracula is the Dracula that should have been before the censors arrived. If they do this, why shouldn't the studio that owns it re-release CITIZEN KANE with a new soundtrack and tacked on happy ending?

Return to “General Topics”