A DW Questionnaire

The place to post anything DW-related
Charles
Level5
Level5

A DW Questionnaire

Post by Charles »

People often ask me what is my favourite DW book, and I'm sure you are all asked similar questions. A few snippets of answers have appeared in recent correspondence, especially as a consequence of Steve Patton's excellent review of The Golden Spaniard, and I thought it might be interesting to try to compile a 'consolidated list' of overall favourites.

To this end I've compiled a short 'Questionnaire' ...

www.denniswheatley.info/DW_Questionnaire_Jan08.doc

If you'd care to fill in the questionnaire and return it to me at info@denniswheatley.info, I'd be delighted. It will be fascinating to know what our consolidated 'favourites list' looks like, and if anyone who wants to take part can get their form back to me in the next week or so, I'll post the results in the Library once I've had a chance to collate the results.

Hope you'll enjoy completing it ... and in due course find the results interesting ...

All the best as always
Charles
Charles
Level5
Level5

Post by Charles »

Dear All

Just a reminder to those of you who haven't yet sent in your responses that it would be really useful if you could complete the Questionnaire.

Apart for being of interest to us, the results may also be of help to those who periodically approach me for my thoughts on their 'resurrecting' Dennis Wheatley ... I can show them the results, and the more people they see participated in the survey, the better !

I've not receive a huge number in so far, so even if you've only read a few of the books but enjoyed them, it would be deeply appreciated if you could take the time to complete the form and let me know what you thought of them.

All good wishes and thanks again
Charles
Charles
Level5
Level5

Post by Charles »

Dear All

Thanks to everyone who completed the 'Questionnaire'.

The results are as follows :-

Favourite character

70% The Duke de Richleau / the 'modern musketeers'
20% Gregory Sallust
10% Roger Brook

also mentioned : Julian Day

Favourite book

40% The Devil Rides Out
20% The Forbidden Territory
20% The Haunting of Toby Jugg
10% Strange Conflict
10% The Ka of Gifford Hillary

Top 6 books *

1. The Devil Rides Out
2. The Forbidden Territory
3. Strange Conflict
4. The Haunting of Toby Jugg
5. The Golden Spaniard
6. The Scarlet Impostor

Top 3 books to be filmed

1= The Quest of Julian Day
1= The Devil Rides Out
1= Strange Conflict
1= The Golden Spaniard
1= early Roger Brook
6 The Forbidden Territory
7 The Haunting of Toby Jugg

‘Wish lists’

These included :-

• To see ‘The Lusty Youth of Roger Brook’ and ‘Of Vice and Virtue’ published
• To see Phil Baker’s biography published
• To see a TV serialisation of the Roger Brook and Gregory Sallust stories
• To see ‘The Devil Rides Out’ in Penguin classics
• To do a tour of all the sites mentioned in DW’s novels (particularly those in ‘The Devil Rides Out’ car chase)
and those associated with his personal life
• To see all DW’s books in print again, and if ever adapted, adapted ‘tastefully’

* Note

Other books mentioned in Questionnaire responses included all the remaining Duke de Richleau stories, four of the Gregory Sallust stories (Black August, Contraband, Faked Passports and Come Into My Parlour), The Eunuch of Stamboul, They Found Atlantis, Sixty Days to Live, The Sword of Fate, To The Devil a Daughter & The Satanist.

Best wishes to everyone
Charles
Esmond
Level1
Level1

Post by Esmond »

The tragedy for American fans of the late, great DW, is that it is a rare event to come across a DW book. I had bought my first DW, THE SATANIST over 30 years ago, lent it out and, of course, it was never returned. I did encounter the same volume, same exact printing about 9 years ago but it was in such poor condition that I reluctantly didn't purchase it.

I had the opportunity some ten years ago to obtain Devil Rides Out, Strange Conflict, Toby Jugg and Ka of GH, an English imprint and despite haunting bookstores I have not seen any since.

I also have, somewhere, THE DEVIL and All His Works, which is a treasure.

I am rereading Devil Rides Out and last night watched the film version with a young Chris Lee as the Duke, Lee states in his autobiography that he wished to do it again as he is now old enough to do justice to the part.

DW is a rare author in that he captured my attention at a youthful stage and to this very day I am enraptured by this great man. In these days of cursed political correctness how very fresh he seems. I hope, and pray, that these volumes will be reprinted perhaps with a larger print type set.

'I have seen TO THE DEVIL A DAUGHTER but not read the book.

I would like to obtain, one day, his films on dvd and the other volumes I have missed.
While trash is readily obtainable and apparently never goes out of print an important part of our heritage is now missing. How richer DW made our world.

I thank you for having this wonderful refuge for DW admirers and for the opportunity for some comaraderie amongst fans.
Even the greatest seekers after Truth have done little more than lift the corner of the veil which hides the vast Unknown...
--Duke de Richleau
Charles
Level5
Level5

Post by Charles »

Dear Esmond

Welcome to the site and to the fraternity !

It's always great to hear from another like-minded person, and I'm sure just about all the regulars will share your sentiments.

I entirely agree that DW seems fresh rather than dated, and that his books are works that one can happily read time and again.

I hope you enjoy the site, your re-reading of The Devil Rides Out, and I share your hope that DW will soon be re-printed.

All the best and again welcome !
Charles

Return to “General Topics”