Facsimile dust jackets

Odds and sods for collectors.
Jim
Level5
Level5

Facsimile dust jackets

Post by Jim »

Charles suggested to me that members here might be interested in reading about Mark Terry and his facsimile dust jackets. I've been doing business with Mark for a number of years, and have used his jackets to brighten up--and protect--my copies of books by Ian Fleming, Leslie Charteris, Agatha Christie, etc etc.

>> Since 1998, my ongoing project has been to build a huge archive of vintage dust jacket images for people to have access to and enjoy. I plan to keep traveling and scanning collections as they are offered to me, to keep building this collection. That way, collectors and dealers will have an ever-growing resource for information, and copies available for their collections.

As I started collecting books, I enjoyed the great jacket art but found I would never be able to acquire many of the books I wanted in jackets. I decided to put my computer and printing skills to use and create my own jackets. (I spent over 20 years in commercial printing.) I've met many collectors while building my own library, which has given me access to many great jackets. The results were popular enough to offer these facsimiles to everyone.

The facsimiles are high resolution files output on a large format high quality printer onto a single sheet of acid free archival paper using 70 year fade resistant inks. All jackets state "Facsimile Dust Jackets L.L.C." on the front flap. With the help of copyright attorneys I've researched copyright laws pertaining to these jackets and do my best not to infringe upon anyone's copyrights (my cut off date is 1975). <<

You can see some of his work by clicking the link. He says, in addition to what his site shows, he has jackets for most of the DW British and American first editions:
http://www.facsimiledustjackets.com
Charles
Level5
Level5

Post by Charles »

Dear Jim,

Many thanks for taking me up on my suggestion - I'm most grateful.

From time to time I've seen good quality repro jackets, and didn't know where they came from. I do now.

I'm going to be very tempted to buy a few for my own 1sts where they lack dustjackets.

All the very best from this side of the 'Pond' !
Charles
Jim
Level5
Level5

Post by Jim »

Mark is not the only person doing this kind of thing, but he's the best of the ones I've dealt with. The first time I saw his product, someone had put one of his jackets on an Agatha Christie title they were selling at a bookfair...it really made the book stand out! For my own collection, I just got the jacket for the American first edition of V for Vengeance, and it's quite lovely. They're a little expensive--and I don't know what shipping to the UK would be--but the jackets come already covered in those protective library sleeves (Brodart is the popular brand over here).
duffellbag
Level2
Level2

Post by duffellbag »

Thanks for the info on this site. I have just ordered the dustjacket for the UK first of V for Vengeance...I look for to its arrival with eager anticipation(and thats an understatement!)
duffellbag
Level2
Level2

Post by duffellbag »

My cover for V for Vengeance has arrived and now sits wrapped around the book and it looks wonderful. Excellent reproduction. Looks just like the copy on this site's A to Z bookshelf. Highly satisfied with this and have now ordered Devil Rides Out and Faked Passports cov :D ers.

Return to “Collectors' Corner”