Aleister Crowley's MORTADELLO: DW's copy!

Odds and sods for collectors.
Jim
Level5
Level5

Aleister Crowley's MORTADELLO: DW's copy!

Post by Jim »

Adrian Harrington Rare Books is selling an item I'm sure many members would love to own...

<< Mortadello or the Angel of Venice. A Comedy. [Together With] A Three Page Signed Autograph Letter.
Imprint: London: Wieland and Company (Barabbas and Company), 1912.
Edition: First Edition
Binding: Hardback

FIRST EDITION. RARE, PREVIOUSLY UNRECORDED ISSUE WITH TWO TITLE PAGES. LONG INSCRIPTION TO DENNIS WHEATLEY, WITH HIS BOOKPLATE. Octavo (210 x 167mm) pp. xvi, 2-110, 111-122 The Works of Mr Aleister Crowley. Bound in original grey cloth, untitled. Occasional light spotting, otherwise the pages are clean. The second title page, with an imprint of Barabbas and Company, has the lower corner cut to denote a cancel leaf, and is bound after the dedication page. Wheatley's fabulous allegorical bookplate to front pastedown. Twelve line signed inscription to Dennis Wheatley to the verso of regular title page, apparently as a reciprocal gift having received a first edition from Wheatley: 'May 14 '34 e.v. | Dear Wheatley | Most ingenious, but really a | little Ely Cuthbertson, to advertise your | love of rare editions in a thriller | blurb! | At least my (underlined) heart was touched, | and I hope you will appreciate this | 'sample' copy with the double title. | I don't know how many were printed like | this: I have a vague idea that there were | six. But where the others are no man - except the 'Occult Committee' of the | 'Magic Circle'- knows. | Yours Aleister Crowley' The autograph letter to Wheatley is on blue Claridge's Hotel headed note-paper dated 16 June (no year). Crowley has crossed out Claridges and written his address at 21 Upper Montague Street (for a few days). The letter is 'mourning' Wheatley's absence at a recent lunch and informing him that 'Liveright is interested in Black August - in case you haven't placed it in U.S.A..'. Wheatley's third novel Black August, which first introduced the character of Gregory Sallust, was published by Hutchinson in London and by Dutton in New York in 1934. A truly rare Crowley item with a wonderful association. Yorke [49] >>

The price? Oh, if you have to ask, you can't afford it:
£ 7,500.00 (approx. $US 11993.25 )
Charles
Level5
Level5

Post by Charles »

Ah Jim,

There is a 'sad' story to this one.

Several years ago this copy came up at auction with quite a reasonable estimate, and I was the underbidder !

AH bought it and, presumably over-estimating demand, vastly increased the price when putting it in his catalogue.

As a result I missed out (sob !) and it's stuck on his shelves until someone extremely rich is tempted to buy it !

Still, there are plenty of fish in the sea, even if they're not THAT particular fish.

All best !!
Charles

Return to “Collectors' Corner”