New Member Introduction

Steve Blake
Level1
Level1

New Member Introduction

Post by Steve Blake »

Hello Everyone
Having just joined The Library, I would like let you know about my interest in Dennis Wheatley.
It stems from reading most of his books back in the 1970's and I decided to start purchasing his books about 10 years ago.
I bought first editions wherever possible and have a reasonable collection, including later editions of some books.
However, the cost of obtaining the earlier/rarer books is a challenge as I'm sure you all know!
Over the last two years I have read all of the books again and whilst the tone of some text is probably not acceptable today, the stories and the historical detail are still fascinating.
Regards,
Steve
Steve Whatley
Level5
Level5

Re: New Member Introduction

Post by Steve Whatley »

Welcome to the Library Steve,
Sounds like we started reading DW at around the same time.
I hope you might be interested in joining us for a Convention or a Field Trip at some stage.
If you've read the complete works in the last two years you must now be an expert.
And what a mammoth feat of endurance - more than a-book-a-fortnight for two years!
Hope you have plenty of matters arising therefrom - we desperately need someone to start some conversations.
All Best Wishes,
Steve W
Steve Blake
Level1
Level1

Post by Steve Blake »

Hi Steve
I found that a lot of the books could be read quickly once you got into them. I read each series about a specific character in order and then the separate books. Some of the historical detail covering World War II in the Gregory Sallust books is excellent. I think you and I may have met many years ago when you purchased a Wheatley book from me that had a laser copy dust jacket originally supplied to me by Richard Humphreys? Regards Steve
Steve Whatley
Level5
Level5

Post by Steve Whatley »

Hi Steve,
I too have read all the series in order. I'd started off reading the black magic novels, then gradually progressed to the others. I never thought I'd be interested in Roger Brook, but after reading The Irish Witch, I tried another title - The Rape Of Venice, I think - then decided to read the whole saga from the beginning, including the two I'd already read (which made it a bit tedious)! I always say that if ever I read them again, I'll skip over much of the historical detail which is gratuitously inserted to complete the background. Although the latter was always useful if I was having trouble sleeping.
I think I'm about due to re-read the wartime Gregory Sallust series; I remember from last time that there was lots of historical detail of which I wasn't aware, and the problem is I just can't remember a fraction of it. What better way to re-read the history of WWII?
I think I probably do have one or more books such as you describe, but I'm afraid my memory is so poor that I need a gentle reminder of the circumstances in which I acquired one from you! Where was the transaction completed?
All Best,
Steve
Steve Blake
Level1
Level1

Post by Steve Blake »

Hi Steve
My recollection is that I came to your house. Possibly in the Harrow or Pinner area? Regards Steve
Darren
Level5
Level5

Post by Darren »

Hi Steve - and a belated welcome from me.

Thank you for joining us. If you have followed the library for awhile you will know that activity ebbs and flows. We are going through a dry patch currently, but there will be times when discussions are vibrant. The General Topics page is the main area for discussions.

I am very impressed with your 2 year DW readathon. Did you read them in order of publication?
Regards,

Darren.
Steve Blake
Level1
Level1

Post by Steve Blake »

Hi Darren
I read each series in order, Brook, Sallust etc. and then the fiction in order of publication, followed by the non fiction. I am currently reading "Red Eagle" which will be the last one. Regards Steve

Return to “March 2008”