Such Power is Dangerous

Members' book reviews and comments
Stevie P
Level5
Level5

Such Power is Dangerous

Post by Stevie P »

I've set out on a quest. The quest is to read all the DW books, starting with the Forbidden Territory (1933) to The Deception Planners (1980). The reason is that there are many books that I have not read and there are several that I would like to read again.
Whether I achieve this aim or not I'm not sure as there are are likely to be many interruptions in every day life; but here goes!!

I've broken a rule already because I should start with the Forbidden Territory BUT I read this a year ago and it is still fresh in my mind. :oops:
I would think that most DW fans have read the Forbidden Territory and I can only confirm what a wonderfully evocative and exciting read it is. I really feel as if I want to go there and explore it myself.

So, Such Power is Dangerous.

I wish I hadn't read that the book had been written in two weeks in order to see if DW could match Edgar Wallace's ability to write them in a week as I felt that I was looking for flaws.

The story revolves around a young actess called Avril Bamborough who gets involved with a conspiracy for a group of ruthless men to monopolise the American/British film industry.

The book started slowly and I began to think, do I really care if these people achieve their aim or not but as it progressed it became more readable and developed into a typical DW "Get the baddies" type theme and by the end of the book I felt that it was good. Not great but good.

There is a ride through the English countryside in this book and it really reminded me of the drive to the Sabbat in TDRO.

A couple of things also struck me with this book;

It was a little fanciful to achieve this sort of plot in such a small time scale.

I loved the way DW tries to promote the Forbidden Teritory by including details of it and himself in the story.

He uses the word 'Snide' 4 times. - very dated now.

Being a huge Charles ll fan myself I really liked the references to him in conjunction with the story.

The last chapter seemed a little rushed or am I imagining it reference my earlier comment on timescale.

His first book the 'The Forbidden territory' I will read again.
Will I read 'Such power is Dangerous' again - Maybe!!!

Stevie P.
Alan
Level5
Level5

Post by Alan »

If you are going to undertake the monumental task of reading the entire DW canon again, would it not be a good idea to read them in the order they supposedly happened... ie in the "Modern Musketeers" series "Three Inquisitive People" should be read bfore "Forbidden territory", and "Dangerous Inheritance" last. DW's seres weren't all written in "order of events", but instead he often backtracked in time. I guess you would start out with the entire Roger B series (in order of events), then slide forward to the turn-of-the-century DeRichleau stories, and end up with the novels written in his declining years (ie "Linda Lee", "Curtain of Fear")... Well, just a thought :)
Stevie P
Level5
Level5

Post by Stevie P »

Hi Alan,

I did think about this prior to commencement. There were two main reasons for doing it in the non-chronological way.
Firstly, I liked the idea of varying the type of stories that I was about to read ie war story then Napoleonic etc.

Secondly and maybe more obscurely by reading them in the order that DW wrote them I would somehow put myself more in the mindset of the great man himself. Perhaps getting an indication of how his writing may have changed over the years eg. not using the word 'snide' so much!!!!

Anyway, thanks for the thought. Old Rowley here I come!!!!

And so to bed.

Return to “Such Power is Dangerous”