Forbidden Territory

Toohey
Level4
Level4

Forbidden Territory

Post by Toohey »

I found this one to be a real first offender.

In the novel The Duc and Ronald Squire and a son, Anthony Bushell, arrive in a Russian Soviet territory searching for another Squire son, Barry McKay, who has been thrown into prison.
The main gripes I have are that they all enter this seemingly impenitrable 'Forbidden' territory' quite easliy and when they get thereMcKay just ups and walks out of the prison without anybody rasing a finger to stop him! Quite why he had to wait for the Duc and Co to arrive to do this is never explained!
The other gripe is that seem to outsmart everything the Soviet state can throw against them ins just a flat wagon pulled by three horses.
There is a pretty tense shoot-out between the Ducs party and some Soviet Soldiers (12) in which the 4 of them manage to kill every Soviet soldier and only the DUc gets a flesh wound in his shoulder!

I just couldnt suspend my disbelief at what I was reading

The ending was pretty sadaistic to

He would go on to write better things...
Bob Rothwell
Webmaster
Webmaster

Post by Bob Rothwell »

I don't mind critiques from anyone about any of DW's novels, but I think I have the right to ask contributors to stick to DW's writings...

Who on earth are Ronald Squire, Anthony Bushell and Barry McKay?? Certainly not DW's characters!

Now if you've somehow got yourself a copy of the film that was made and are submitting a critique of that, please tell us more!
Toohey
Level4
Level4

Apologies

Post by Toohey »

Sorry, Bob, fraid I did get the characters in the film and the book mixed up here.

Though, in the book, the players may have changed the game is still the same!

I still think he went on to better things and it's one to avoid
Bob Rothwell
Webmaster
Webmaster

Post by Bob Rothwell »

Apologies accepted :-)

However, I'm intrigued to know - have you somehow recently seen the film?
Garry Holmes
Level5
Level5

Post by Garry Holmes »

Hands off Forbidden Territory! It's the book that originally got me reading all the rest of DW!
Toohey
Level4
Level4

Post by Toohey »

Hi Gary,

Glad you got more out of it than me. Just didn't work for me, I found it sadistic and unconvincing. As I wrote before he went on to better things. His 2nd book, They Found Atlantis, was a far stronger novel. A great entry to the 'Lost World' genre.

Return to “de Richleau series”