It isn't Wheatley, but...

Here's where you can tell us about yourself
ianjarvis
Level1
Level1

It isn't Wheatley, but...

Post by ianjarvis »

Hello there
I've been a Dennis Wheatley fan my entire adult life, starting at around fourteen, and always had a particular love for his supernatural works. I've also just begun to bring out a series of novels myself - paranormal mysteries - and the first of these has the very definite flavour of good old Dennis. I felt it was time for some new occult thrillers, surrounded as we are in the bookshop by countless zombie apocalypses and vampires constantly battling werewolves. The central character in the books is a young female occultist, an adept of ritual magick, and the plots are always darkened by the shadow of Aleister Crowley. I've provided an Amazon Kindle link below to the first in the series, Dark Equinox, and I'd love to hear the views of any other Wheatley fans who might read it.
Put another log on the crackling fire as the library clock ticks past midnight and I wish you all the very best
Take care
Ian Jarvis

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dark-Equinox-Io ... rk+equinox

http://ianjarviswriter.com
Charles
Level5
Level5

Post by Charles »

Dear Ian,

Many thanks - I'll certainly have a read ... I'm looking forward to it and hope it does well !

Fourteen was definitely a good age to start reading DW ... that's when I started too !

Best regards,
Charles
ianjarvis
Level1
Level1

Post by ianjarvis »

Thanks Charles
I'm sure you'll enjoy it. Like many, the first novel of his that I read was The Devil Rides Out, so perhaps thirteen might have been more apt than fourteen.
Richard Webster
Level3
Level3

Post by Richard Webster »

Thanks, Ian. I just one-clicked that onto my Kindle, and will enjoy checking it out.

I'm writing an occult thriller of my own at the moment, as it happens, just for the fun of it (116,000 words and 36 chapters in, only 14 left to go!), also with a bit of a Crowley theme. In as much as it's set in the present day and is about a house near Avebury with a seriously evil reputation, owned by a rock and roll star with a penchant for black magic (shades of Jimmy Page and Boleskin, obviously), but previously owned by a notorious occultist who killed himself there in the 1960s, having unleashed one demon too many. Anyway, I've made my fictional deceased occultist a disciple of Crowley (admittedly quite a young one, given the timelines!) and inserted him into various parts of the Crowley biography.

I'm having a lot of fun with it - lots of things that go bump in the night, a satanic temple hidden beneath a neolithic long barrow, a ruined chapel, adders in the post, pentagrams carved into tree trunks, and more than enough men and women in cloaks with hoods. Well, thirteen of them, anyway. I'm a huge Dennis Wheatley fan, and his books have been very useful to me, as well as a great inspiration, including his non-fiction tome, "The Devil and all his Works". I must admit, the elderly occult expert and adversary of the forces of darkness that I've introduced in Part 3 bears more than a passing resemblance to my beloved Duke de Richlieu, as does my head honcho satanist to Charles Gray's portrayal of Mocata in the film version of "The Devil Rides Out". But I think that's all justifiable homage. I've even called one of the characters Weyland, after the school that features in "The Haunting of Toby Jugg" (my first experience of reading DW).

I'm also a big horror movie fan, particularly from the 1970s or thereabouts, and the book is doubtless packed with these influences too - everything from "Race with the Devil" to "The Sentinel" to Lucio Fulci's "Gates of Hell" trilogy, and probably every trashy paperback horror novel I've ever read as well. So it's all very derivative, but an enjoyable variation from paid work.
ianjarvis
Level1
Level1

Post by ianjarvis »

Thanks Richard. I'm sure you'll enjoy Dark Equinox and the book you're working on sounds pretty interesting too. Wiltshire, with its wealth of neolithic sites, is a wonderful setting. I loved Charles Gray's character in the Devil Rides Out, although I loved him in pretty much everything he did. I even forgave him for his Diamonds Are Forever Blofeld in drag scene, where he turned one of cinema's most evil villains into the "Ooh, you are awful" character from Dick Emery. Take care and all the very best with your novel.

Return to “Introductions”