Introduction

Here's where you can tell us about yourself
KLP85
Level2
Level2

Introduction

Post by KLP85 »

Hi, my name is Kevin Pearce and I'm delighted to be part of this well made and informative site. I live in the UK in Warwick and have just finished a Masters at Durham university. I first came into contact with DW books at an early age as my father kept some of his books in my bedroom and within these were the 1969 arrow paperback editions of The Ka of Gifford Hillary and the haunting of Toby Jugg these covers gave me nightmares for ages lol. One day I decided to overcome my fears of the strange covers and was hooked (though I think I went for the less offensive cover of strange conflict to start with). I have since then on a very small budget tried to collect some of the 1st editions or near to them as possible so this site has proved very valuable in showing me what I'll prob never see in quality and rarity.
Darren
Level5
Level5

Post by Darren »

Welcome Kevin. And on behalf of all the contributors I offer you the warm embrace of friendship.

I similarly was initially drawn to DW via his Black Magic books and their covers before moving onto the wonderful discovery his other works.

I wonder if most current DW readers were first attracted by his Black Magic books.

Is there anyone that visits this website who came to DW via his non-BM books?
Regards,

Darren.
ericmocata
Level5
Level5

Post by ericmocata »

Welcome from me as well, Kevin.

And I will say that I, like you and Darren, got into Wheatley through his occult stories first. I try to avoid calling them "black magic" stories, as some of the books usually included in that list don't really have black magic in them. The Ka of Gifford Hillary (which I just realized sounds like somebody from Boston trying to say The Car of Gifford Hillary) is a good example. Not a single page of black magic there, which i have mentioned before, but it is usually classified as a "black magic" story.

Of course, I was really introduced to Wheatley through Hammer films and Black Sabbath.

As I learned more about Whealtey, I was hesitant to read any of his non-occult books. I believe I started with They Found Atlantis, because the premise was interesting to me, as was that of Sixty Days to Live, The Man Who Missed the War, Uncharted Seas and even Star of Ill-Omen, which is now the fan favorite, of course.....

When I read stuff like The Forbidden Territory, I was happy to see that I was quite drawn into it and enjoyed it thoroughly, despite the lack of any weird stuff that I usually dig.
shanedwyer
Level5
Level5

Post by shanedwyer »

Hi Kevin and welcome.

And I can empathise with your younger self’s unease at the Arrow covers.:-)

I approached my first Wheatley (a ’63 Arrow copy of Toby Jugg – I was 10 or 11) with not a little trepidation too. In fact, I was so daunted at the thought of broaching the horrors within, that I solemnly undertook to read the book only in the daytime. And when it got dark, to read as many Beanos and Dandies as I could before bedtime- so as to dilute my recall and (hopefully) forestall the otherwise inevitable nightmares.

Return to “Introductions”