General Questions

The place to post anything DW-related
Garry Holmes
Level5
Level5

Post by Garry Holmes »

Interesting to see that we all rate De Reic...De Richl...the Duc and his friends as our favourite characters. The first DW that I ever read was 'The Forbidden Territory' and I was hooked from that moment on. To my mind, there is no-one quite like Wheatley, which may help to explain why he might be quite difficult to market nowadays. The Modern Musketeers find themselves involved in a murder story, a thriller, and Black Magic in there first three appearances. How do you define that as series, I wonder?
Garry Holmes
Level5
Level5

Post by Garry Holmes »

Just remembered--Golden Spaniard and Strange Conflict in my top ten, also!
Nick
Level5
Level5

Favourite Characters

Post by Nick »

I still feel after all these years of reading DW that de Richleau and friends have a timeless style to their characters. The same immortality as Sherlock Holmes. Its comforting to suspend disbelief for a few hours and know that Holmes and Watson are sat either side of an open fire, and the duc de Richleau ,Rex and Simon went into dinner at eight o'clock. That I believe is the sign of a great writer. Other characters from other writers fail to make that transition, and remain two dimensional. Wheatley put his heart into the Modern Musketeers, and that love echos down the years.
I picked up a copy of Dangerous Inheritance at a boot sale, and one of the previous owners of the paperback had written his own (quite moving) obituary to the Duc. The same thing happened to greater degree when Doyle tried to kill off Holmes. DW leaves us with the feeling that there is always somebody there to combat evil, and fight in our corner, and never let us down, so we can sleep easily in an uncertain world. This is a wonderful acheivment and we are fully justified in prolonging his memory and his writings in any way possible. Here endeth the lesson. Pint please Wilkes....
Alan
Level5
Level5

Post by Alan »

(I take the Scotch and soda brought to me by Wilkes, and raise it in a graceful gesture to Nick, as a fitting gesture to his eloquence. This man has TASTE!)
Bob Rothwell
Webmaster
Webmaster

(Moved post)

Post by Bob Rothwell »

Sel - I have moved your post to the Swaps or Sales section in 'The Market Place' forum, as it might get lost here.
Sel
Level1
Level1

Re: (Moved post)

Post by Sel »

Bob Rothwell wrote:Sel - I have moved your post to the Swaps or Sales section in 'The Market Place' forum, as it might get lost here.
Thank you

Sel :)
Garry Holmes
Level5
Level5

Post by Garry Holmes »

Like Alan, I'll also raise my glass to Nick. You've perfectly summed up what I feel about these characters. Cheers!
Wayne
Level1
Level1

favourite characters

Post by Wayne »

My favourite would have to be Roger Brook. But then I have always been interested in Napoleon and that time in history. Yes, the Duc and his followers come a close second. I imagine it's because the first world war seemed to end the idealism of the glory of war. He and his followers represented the what many saw as the last romantic era before warfare entered its brutal mass destruction stage. The Sallust stories are pipped by the Duc, but only just as WWII is another time frame in which I have an interest.

Surprisingly, I have no finity with the characters of his black magic stories (other than those located in the above collections). It's not that they didn't scare the crap out of me, but it's just not a gendre I'm particulary interested in.

Wayne

Return to “General Topics”