Authors take sides on Vietnam

The place to post anything DW-related
Darren
Level5
Level5

Authors take sides on Vietnam

Post by Darren »

Another excellent monthly update, Charles.

I am glad you have added the "Authors take sides on Vietnam" book. And thank you for including his commentary on the war.

I have wondered for a few years now what he had written, especially as it was published in 1967 with no idea what the outcome would be.

"It is imperative, in my view, that the Vietcong should be prevented from becoming the masters of Vietnam because, should they do so, communist infiltration will take place in the neighbouring states to the south, with the same results, until the whole of East Asia is subservient to China. We should then be faced with the liability of defending Australia and probably India, so it is infinitely better that, at whatever cost, we should hold this communist aggression on the line it now occupies. (Author and ex-Wing Commander. 1941/44, a member of the Joint Planning Staff of the War Cabinet which prepared the strategic plans for Sir Winston Churchill.)"

No surprises there. Prime Minister Harold Wilson did well in keeping us out of that one, I'm presuming DW would have supported our entry into the war.

I do like the description of himself, with the appropriate name check on Winson Churchill.

Keep 'em coming, Charles. I love the monthly surprises - it's like having Christmas day every few weeks.

=D>
Regards,

Darren.
Darren
Level5
Level5

Re: Authors take sides on Vietnam

Post by Darren »

In 1937 there was a book published titled 'Authors take sides on the Spanish Civil War' which the Vietnam book is basing it's format on.
Dennis Wheatley did not contribute to the Spanish Civil book which is surprising with him writing fiction set in Spain during that time.

You can access a pdf version via the link: http://library.fes.de/pdf-files/netzquelle/a-37891.pdf

Curiously, Aleister Crowley has contributed, although misspelt as Alastair:

DO WHAT THOU WILT shall be the whole of the Law.
Franco is a common murderer and pirate : should swing in chains at Execution Dock.
Mussolini, the secret assasin, possiboy worse.
Hitler may prove a "prophet" : time will judge.
Love is the law ; love under will.

And that's it. I hope they didn't pay him too much in advance for that.
Regards,

Darren.

Return to “General Topics”