Churchill - Darkest Hour

The place to post anything DW-related
Charles
Level5
Level5

Churchill - Darkest Hour

Post by Charles »

I forgot to mention that - far later than I should have - I took my family to see the above last weekend.

What a performance by Gary Oldman, and what a riveting telling of the story.

It was wonderful to think that as the action began Joan Wheatley was at the same time telling Capt. Hubert Stringer that her husband might have a few ideas about resistance to invasion, and that DW later worked in the War Rooms, which feature prominently in the film.

The film reminded me of the standards of days gone by - and of how people were actually prepared to sacrifice their lives for a cause they believed to be noble - the freeing of Europe from tyranny. I could not help but think 'how quickly gratitude fades' ....

As an excellent film, a 'must watch', if you will forgive my saying so, imnsho.

Do please let me know if you have watched the film what you thought, and if you agree with my assessment.

Oldman was certainly awesome as Churchill.

All best to all,
Charles
shanedwyer
Level5
Level5

Re: Churchill - Darkest Hour

Post by shanedwyer »

Britain was worth fighting (and dying) for then.

But as for today's society...I wouldn't recommend anyone take up arms for zero-hours contracts, celebrity worship and gender neutral bogs.
Steve Whatley
Level5
Level5

Post by Steve Whatley »

Jean and I saw this film a few weeks ago, and both enjoyed it immensely. We both thought Gary Oldman splendid in the role. I couldn't remember seeing him in anything before, and when you see the actor in his natural state (I mean without make-up, NOT without clothes!) he looks nothing like Churchill. I understand he had to spend hours in make-up every day before filming. I tipped him for an Oscar, and for once I was right. No coincidence that the film also won the Oscar for make-up and hairstyling.

I suggested that the makers should have filmed the sequel at the same time, and that they call it 'Finest Hour'.

At times Oldman very much reminded me visually of Robert Hardy in the same role; a much-loved actor who played Churchill many times and passed away last year.
Jim
Level5
Level5

Post by Jim »

Steve Whatley wrote: Jean and I saw this film a few weeks ago, and both enjoyed it immensely. We both thought Gary Oldman splendid in the role. I couldn't remember seeing him in anything before, and when you see the actor in his natural state (I mean without make-up, NOT without clothes!) he looks nothing like Churchill.
You have not seen Bram Stoker's Dracula? Some of it is excellent (not Keanu Reeves), and Oldman is the Count...
Cibator
Level4
Level4

Post by Cibator »

Have a look here here (about 4-5 posts down) for an account of how Jim and I saw Gary O in something like his natural state back in the early 80s.
Fas est et ab hoste doceri

Return to “General Topics”